Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Trish said:

I agree! Kentucky should’ve hired Woodson. I’ve been begging for that! 

I haven’t heard anything positive about Pope. I think he’s gone in 3 years. 

Calipari choked in the tournament the past three years which is why UK fans wanted him gone so bad (imagine them with our results), but his teams were still pretty good in the regular season/conference play. 39-15 (72.2%) in the SEC the past three seasons. Woody, for example, is 31-29 in a worse conference. Maybe the Pope does well but I highly doubt he’ll win enough to satisfy the UK fanbase. 

Just now, hoosiersoxfan said:

I wonder how many of Kentucky’s current roster/incoming recruits follow Cal to Arkansas. Cupboard might be left pretty bare for Pope year 1 in Lexington. 

True dat 

Two of the most underwhelming hires ever were Bob Knight and Teri Moren. You just never know.

On paper this hire is very odd and not the big fish anyone expected. Doubt he lives up to UK's expectations and not what I saw coming and would be surprised if he succeeded. However, would say the same about others as well. It is a crapshoot but generally you prefer the bigger name with the better resume. 

In the last 3 years, 5 of the top 7 programs of all-time in this sport by my estimation have been open.

1. North Carolina—-hired Hubert Davis, no college HC experience 

2. Duke—-hired Jon Scheyer, no college head coaching experience

3. Kentucky——hired Mark Pope, coached at Utah Valley and BYU, zero tournament wins

4. Indiana——hired Mike Woodson, no college head coaching experience

5. Louisville x2——Kenny Payne no college head coaching experience and Pat Kelsey, coached at Winthrop and College of Charleston, zero tournament wins

Throw in Arizona whom I consider a top 10 program that hired Tommy Lloyd (no head coaching experience) as well as Syracuse hiring Adrian Autry (no head coaching experience). Ponder that, it’s a crapshoot.

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

In the last 3 years, 5 of the top 7 programs of all-time in this sport by my estimation have been open.

1. North Carolina—-hired Hubert Davis, no college HC experience 

2. Duke—-hired Jon Scheyer, no college head coaching experience

3. Kentucky——hired Mark Pope, coached at Utah Valley and BYU, zero tournament wins

4. Indiana——hired Mike Woodson, no college head coaching experience

5. Louisville x2——Kenny Payne no college head coaching experience and Pat Kelsey, coached at Winthrop and College of Charleston, zero tournament wins

Throw in Arizona whom I consider a top 10 program that hired Tommy Lloyd (no head coaching experience) as well as Syracuse hiring Adrian Autry (no head coaching experience). Ponder that, it’s a crapshoot.

Someone has to find lightning in a bottle with one of these lower profile guys. Let’s hope it’s not Michigan.