Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Texas Tech, Lamar, then Marian.  Soon will be coaching your local YMCA league.

With a Karras and a Knight, they certainly have name recognition at Marian! 

Alex Karras' nephew -- Ted Jr. (Hobart grad) -- coaches the football team. 

Just listened to an interview with Gottlieb. Not the ****** that many make him out to be.

As far as coaching experience....he was a consultant to the Oklahoma State program this past year. Got to sit in on player meetings, planning meetings, and got to learn how to run a program. Also has coached multiple AAU teams--not necessarily a glowing resume, but has some experience.

He understands his shortcomings. Because he is coaching at a lower level, he negotiated the time to be able to continue his nationally syndicated radio show every day. Due to this, he asked for much less money from UWGB so he could go out and hire and pay staff not normally seen in this level of a program. He is going to surround himself with people who can help him learn what he doesn't know.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Gottlieb fan. Not to the level of Dakich dislike, but closer to that than anything else. However, he did come across as being humble and willing to learn as he goes. Willing to spread the wealth to bring in qualified help. In a day of greed and me first, it's refreshing to hear this from a guy.

Maybe, like all of us, he has matured and grown from the guy who stole credit cards 20+ years ago.

3 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Just listened to an interview with Gottlieb. Not the ****** that many make him out to be.

As far as coaching experience....he was a consultant to the Oklahoma State program this past year. Got to sit in on player meetings, planning meetings, and got to learn how to run a program. Also has coached multiple AAU teams--not necessarily a glowing resume, but has some experience.

He understands his shortcomings. Because he is coaching at a lower level, he negotiated the time to be able to continue his nationally syndicated radio show every day. Due to this, he asked for much less money from UWGB so he could go out and hire and pay staff not normally seen in this level of a program. He is going to surround himself with people who can help him learn what he doesn't know.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Gottlieb fan. Not to the level of Dakich dislike, but closer to that than anything else. However, he did come across as being humble and willing to learn as he goes. Willing to spread the wealth to bring in qualified help. In a day of greed and me first, it's refreshing to hear this from a guy.

Maybe, like all of us, he has matured and grown from the guy who stole credit cards 20+ years ago.

He also head coached Team USA to a gold medal in the 2017 Maccabi games (18+ division). That team was largely made up of small conference D1 players.

On 5/8/2024 at 2:33 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

Texas Tech, Lamar, then Marian.  Soon will be coaching your local YMCA league.

I hope he has success here. Would be cool to see him do well even if at a low level.  

On 5/15/2024 at 7:57 AM, steubenhoosier said:

You seem to be enamored with coaches who are in desperate need of surrounding themselves with guys that are more knowledgeable in coaching at the college level.  Not saying that guys shouldn’t get as qualified assistants that they can but when it is a necessity, it’s not a good hire.

If Hurley leaves I would have to think that UCONN would have to hire one of the assistants as a interim coach. It is pretty late in the process to go out and make a national search.

The fact that Hurley hasn't killed the story or put out a statement makes it seem like he's all but gone.

Tough to turn down an opportunity like that, but man I hate that CBB is about lose arguably its best coach. What a kick to the crotch. 

20 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

The fact that Hurley hasn't killed the story or put out a statement makes it seem like he's all but gone.

Tough to turn down an opportunity like that, but man I hate that CBB is about lose arguably its best coach. What a kick to the crotch. 

My view is that IU’s road to winning a ship would get easier.

If Danny Hurley does go to LA and takes the important pieces of his staff with him -- in other words, there's not a capable person left behind to run things in Storrs -- I could see UConn going after Sean Miller. 

I have not seen any Twitter or social media reports about this. 

Just a hunch ... 

35 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

If Danny Hurley does go to LA and takes the important pieces of his staff with him -- in other words, there's not a capable person left behind to run things in Storrs -- I could see UConn going after Sean Miller. 

I have not seen any Twitter or social media reports about this. 

Just my hunch ... 

I could see UConn throwing a bag at Sampson or trying to pull a Jay Wright outta retirement. If the Celtics win the Finals... Brad Stevens?