Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, IUGRAD06 said:

He was horribly efficient because Woodsons offense has us shoot too many midrange jumpers.  It’s the offense.  It happens every year with Woodson. It’s not just because he was inefficient.  His inefficiency was due to the O.  It happens every year.  Get your players better shots.  

It’s hard to run an effective or efficient offense when you condense the court by playing two bigs for nearly the entire game. The proposed portal haul I gave eliminates any idea of playing two bigs simultaneously for an extended period of time.

3 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Anybody that doesn’t make shots will have an inefficient offense. Sounds like a complaint from our head coach..lol. 

The point is why aren’t they? It’s a coaching issue. 

It’s definitely a coaching issue, but it’s also a massive personnel issue. You can’t run two bigs if you don’t have shot makers from the perimeter. It’s as simple as that.

Wow, I am as ready for some change in Bloomington as the rest, but the village idiots are out in full force on X. Did you guys know that it is the end of the world and the program because Gunn, Banks, and Sparks are in the portal, or there is no way to replace Gunn next year he was going to be so good, or that the coaches failed those 3 because they didn't develop, or that in addition to those 3 in the portal Ware, MM, and MR are all going pro and Cupps is transferring too... from confirmed sources by the way! holy crap this fan base man! I think there are many who should take a step back, take a deep breath and put the d@mn phone down. 

Wow, I am as ready for some change in Bloomington as the rest, but the village idiots are out in full force on X. Did you guys know that it is the end of the world and the program because Gunn, Banks, and Sparks are in the portal, or there is no way to replace Gunn next year he was going to be so good, or that the coaches failed those 3 because they didn't develop, or that in addition to those 3 in the portal Ware, MM, and MR are all going pro and Cupps is transferring too... from confirmed sources by the way! holy crap this fan base man! I think there are many who should take a step back, take a deep breath and put the d@mn phone down. 

If you think X is bad, don’t go to the Facebook groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, str8baller said:

We were 28th in Oe with NPoY candidate TJD and 1st rounder JHS at point and Galloway and Kopp shooting 40%+ from 3. 

Woody it’s going to need A LOT to get to top 25 Oe. 

Uhmmm…thinking like a brain transplant?

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

Again, don’t need 3 top 50 or whatever barometer you’re using.

-Fully expect an upperclassman Reneau to be an all-B10 caliber performer, especially offensively.

-it’s natural to expect MM to take a big leap and become a go to threat

-offer Javon Small, Ryan Conwell, and Jalen Blackmon whatever they want and take commitments from the first two. That becomes your starting backcourt. All three would be even better and allow you to bring Galloway off the bench 

-identify a rim protector who you feel comfortable playing 15 mpg and out to 20 in case of foul trouble. Don’t care what he can do on offense so long as he can set a screen, crash the glass, and rim run.

-add 7th/8th man sharp shooting type (Connor Hickman) and bouncy wing similar to Anthony Walker to shore up the front court.

I could 100% get behind this roster next year.

It’s way, way too early for this, but I will bite….

Your first point is accurate, but you leave out the most important part. Yes, Reneau is a great offensive player, but the problem is on other end of the floor. He can’t guard the perimeter as a 4 and is too foul prone as a 5. What he scores, he gives up on the other end. Add to the fact he isn’t a very good rebounder, I honestly don’t know what you do with Reneau. 

MM improved a ton this year and showed flashes at the end. But was it against bad teams or was it legit? He is absolutely vital to IU’s success next year, but much like Reneau, there is a lot of things that need to improve. If MM stays at the 3, defensive rotation has got to improve drastically. And MM is another one that needs to improve rebounding. I am not worried about MM putting up 16 a game next year, it’s what he gives up on the other end is what I am concerned about.

The next point is where next season is won or lost before July. IU needs a play making guard that’s a threat from deep. A All Big Ten level point guard. They also need a ton of shooting. 2 or 3 guys that can hit from the high 30s is crucial. Miss on any of this in the portal, next season is lost before it starts.

IU doesn’t need a rim protector if the perimeter defense improves. But with Reneau and MM at the 3 and 4, a rim protector is probably required. Which clogs the lane on the other end. And let’s be real, IU isn’t getting another Ware in the portal. 

Even if everything you said happened, I would still be concerned about perimeter defense and rebounding. 

And all this assumes the staff will change offensive and defensive philosophy in the next couple months.

37 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

It’s definitely a coaching issue, but it’s also a massive personnel issue. You can’t run two bigs if you don’t have shot makers from the perimeter. It’s as simple as that.

Yep. That's why Purdue gets away with playing 2 bigs part of the game. They have 3 other players who can hit 3s on a regular basis. 

The fact that Woodson didn't change last year after Race and TJD graduated was a travesty. It will be telling how many bigs Woodson recruits. It was...uh...interesting that he recruited both Walker and Sparks - two bigs who couldn't shoot outside of 5 feet. 

9 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

It’s way, way too early for this, but I will bite….

Your first point is accurate, but you leave out the most important part. Yes, Reneau is a great offensive player, but the problem is on other end of the floor. He can’t guard the perimeter as a 4 and is too foul prone as a 5. What he scores, he gives up on the other end. Add to the fact he isn’t a very good rebounder, I honestly don’t know what you do with Reneau. 

MM improved a ton this year and showed flashes at the end. But was it against bad teams or was it legit? He is absolutely vital to IU’s success next year, but much like Reneau, there is a lot of things that need to improve. If MM stays at the 3, defensive rotation has got to improve drastically. And MM is another one that needs to improve rebounding. I am not worried about MM putting up 16 a game next year, it’s what he gives up on the other end is what I am concerned about.

The next point is where next season is won or lost before July. IU needs a play making guard that’s a threat from deep. A All Big Ten level point guard. They also need a ton of shooting. 2 or 3 guys that can hit from the high 30s is crucial. Miss on any of this in the portal, next season is lost before it starts.

IU doesn’t need a rim protector if the perimeter defense improves. But with Reneau and MM at the 3 and 4, a rim protector is probably required. Which clogs the lane on the other end. And let’s be real, IU isn’t getting another Ware in the portal. 

Even if everything you said happened, I would still be concerned about perimeter defense and rebounding. 

And all this assumes the staff will change offensive and defensive philosophy in the next couple months.

Reneau isn’t an elite defender, agreed. But he was guarding out of position most of the year this last season. He was still an underclassman last year getting extended run for the first time collegiately. He’s an emotional player still developing. I wouldn’t give up hope that Reneau can’t one day become a serviceable interior defender.

Much like Reneau, Mgbako guarded mostly out of position all year. He was used almost exclusively as a perimeter player, that isn’t his game. Given his defensive struggles to start the year and subsequent short leash, I believe his lack of confidence carried over offensively. He was almost unplayable the first 7-8 games of the season. But as his defense improved, so did his playing time and the offense came alive. By the end of the year I thought MM became a serviceable defender despite playing out of position. My hope is that MM plays primarily as a 4 man next season. Another year in the weight room will certainly help.

Hitting on 2-3 high caliber guards will define next season and ultimately Woodson’s employment. He HAS to understand that by now. I used Small, Conwell, and Blackmon because a) they are players that I’ve watched and b)kids with local ties who I think would be incentivized to play in Bloomington. Reality is that there will be close to 700-800 guards in the portal by the time it’s all said and done. You’d have to literally try to not upgrade from last year’s production. If the NIL numbers being thrown out are true, I find it really hard to believe IU doesn’t land a couple high quality guards regardless of how bad Woodson’s system is negatively used against him.

16 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

https://sportsmediapass.com/woodson-sending-a-message-with-the-portal/?fbclid=IwAR0Vui11SZf7kfnk0zPSykKKzTYjMt07_JS6QykuWefD34NOqYhysUNiSgU

Lol.

"part of what makes Woodson such a good coach is his willingness to admit when he’s wrong. He understands the need to evolve."

Must be talking about another Mike Woodson. 

Oh my goodness. That article reads like it was written by a member of IU's Sports Information Department. LOL

They should at least TRY to make it sound like a REAL article...

Probably the same guys who were telling us last summer gunn and banks were going to be studs so we didn't need another guard

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

https://sportsmediapass.com/woodson-sending-a-message-with-the-portal/?fbclid=IwAR0Vui11SZf7kfnk0zPSykKKzTYjMt07_JS6QykuWefD34NOqYhysUNiSgU
Lol.
"part of what makes Woodson such a good coach is his willingness to admit when he’s wrong. He understands the need to evolve."
Wow does this guy work for the fake news.

He understands the need to build depth and overall talent. He’ll spend the offseason adding to an arsenal that includes Mgbako, forward Malik Reneau, and guards/team ambassadors Trey Galloway and Anthony Leal.

He’s in Portal Mode. Let him cook.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Lol.

Paid propaganda. We're being punked, big time.

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Sure doesn’t feel like they’re getting their money’s worth. Never heard of “Sports Media Pass” in my life. 

Me neither. That popped up in my FB feed and I thought it was too funny so I had to share it here.