Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

7 minutes ago, Dunk said:

I'm not really sure how anyone watches UVA last night and thinks "yup, that's what I want to watch for the foreseeable future".

Other than that, good list.

I agree. It would be so boring to watch. And then would probably hate it.  It would most likely get us into the tournament with a high seed every year. But if those guys he’s not the highest on my list for sure. 

As depressing as it is to miss on Dusty, it's even more depressing that Woodson will be coaching us. I could stand losing Dusty if we had hope in another candidate. 
It is just the iu way just like we waited to long on Steven's and Matta. We probably end up hiring somebody like Michael Lewis.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Don't be shocked.  I really think it's going to get so ugly next season and Woody will leave such a bare roster that no will want the job.  Also, keep in mind who one of Steve's good friends is and who was a student manager from 1984-1988.

From what I've read, I think they are too close of friends.  Won't happen.  

5 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Why?  If we only had choice between Alford and Woodson then who would you pick?  That maybe where we are at when we finally get rid of mediocre Mike

I wouldn't have picked either. I'd sooner root for Purdue. 100% honest answer.

Just now, realTomCrean said:

Ok so my last post was just to rile you all up and somehow people are on board. Whatever EFF it. Alford + DD + Neal Craig + Ed Schilling + Calbert + Jordan Hulls ;)

I bet we wouldn’t be last in the B1G in FT% at least. 

9 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Why?  If we only had choice between Alford and Woodson then who would you pick?  That maybe where we are at when we finally get rid of mediocre Mike

8 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

What is the overall feeling on why several do not want Alford.  What has he done or not done to make him not desirable?  Serious question since we have been horrible the past several years with other coaches.  

I think the quick answer is something like

1. He got a shot at a blue blood and didn’t get past the S16, and

2. he’s not at an age where he’s a long term upside play.

There’s more too. Mishandled at least one player misconduct situation egregiously, doesn’t move the needle with recruits, so on.

At least when IU hired CMW you could say he had some NBA guys in his corner, league connections would appeal to recruits, he had some theoretical pluses. Alford doesn’t even have that juice.

20 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

What is the overall feeling on why several do not want Alford.  What has he done or not done to make him not desirable?  Serious question since we have been horrible the past several years with other coaches.  

For me, there are several things. First was the Pierre Pierce thing. Still can't believe that, and he only apologized to get the UCLA job.

He was pretty good at Manchester College, and good enough at SW Missouri State to get the Iowa gig. But his record since then has been a series of ups and downs.

He does recruit better than Woodson, but so do you and I.

6 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Why not offer Painter?  We've got the money.  Even if he doesn't come, Purdue will have to pony up big bucks.  

That thought has seriously crossed my mind. I like Matt Painter a lot. He's probably untouchable right now, and may not be interested in leaving everything that he's build in W Lafayette, but I could definitely get on that train.

2 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

For me, there are several things. First was the Pierre Pierce thing. Still can't believe that, and he only apologized to the the UCLA job.

He was pretty good at Manchester College, and good enough at SW Missouri State to get the Iowa gig. But his record since then has been a series of ups and downs.

He does recruit better than Woodson, but so do you and I.

Was excellent at New Mexico.  Probably should've stayed there.

4 minutes ago, lillurk said:

There’s more too. Mishandled at least one player misconduct situation egregiously, doesn’t move the needle with recruits, so on.

At least when IU hired CMW you could say he had some NBA guys in his corner, league connections would appeal to recruits, he had some theoretical pluses. Alford doesn’t even have that juice.

I have heard those same things but if you look at where we are we have only made the Touney 2 times in the last ??? years.  We got a guy right now that is old enough to be his dad, and we have some who would bring back Sampson in the name of winning.  If you know your limitation as we did when we hired CMW then we could put the same type of GM in place to help with areas, we think he lacks. 

Not saying he is the man just saying we have done way worse based on the standards we are holding him to, IMO.

4 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I think you're mostly right about Alford.  That window is now closed. I don't think Alford would have attracted out-of-state top 30 guys like Woodson has.  However, I do think about 20 years ago, he would have dominated in-state recruiting. Alford would have been a consistent winner at IU, but the Sweet 16 is about his ceiling. 

8 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Was excellent at New Mexico.  Probably should've stayed there.

He was good with wins/losses - won at a 75% clip.

But he was in the Mountain West Conference, not a P4 school. His post season record was pretty unspectacular:

NIT first round, NIT second round (twice), NCAA round of 64, NCAA round of 32 (twice). 

So, yeah, he got his team into A post season tournament, but never got past the second round.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 12.55.31 PM.png

4 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

He was good with wins/losses - won at a 75% clip.

But he was in the Mountain West Conference, not a P4 school. His post season record was pretty unspectacular:

NIT first round, NIT second round (twice), NCAA round of 64, NCAA round of 32 (twice). 

So, yeah, he got his team into A post season tournament, but never got past the second round.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 12.55.31 PM.png

so, he went to the NCAA tournament more than Woodson and Miller combined at new mexico.   Plus he has won the BTT more than IU.

We will never know so it don't matter! I would bet a ton though if the hire was alford and not mediocre mike we would be rolling right now. He is a he'll of a coach. He wouldn't need nba guys in his corner as I believe his indiana ties would have helped in recruiting. Now back to firing Mike woodson!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Just now, coonhounds said:

We will never know so it don't matter! I would bet a ton though if the hire was alford and not mediocre mike we would be rolling right now. He is a he'll of a coach. He wouldn't need nba guys in his corner as I believe his indiana ties would have helped in recruiting. Now back to firing Mike woodson!

Fire Mike Woodson!!!!!  LOL

3 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Well he'd be the best coach we've had since Crean.