Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

If you have a chance, this morning’s Ft Wayne Journal Gazette has a well written article about Woodson and the historical perspective of other coaches who took their team to the tournament the first 2 years of their tenure and then backslid in the 3rd year. Some interesting names and a fair and objective analysis of the situation.
Won’t let me link the article but a search for Dylan Sinn might work 
Good read.....
https://www.journalgazette.net/sports/colleges/iu/the-two-tournaments-club-what-history-tells-us-about-mike-woodsons-trajectory-at-indiana/article_81b5038e-e61a-11ee-9c21-eb9604ff337b.html

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, JF87 said:

I keep thinking about IU telling the NIT that we wouldn't be interested in an invite.  This is really concerning to me.  I heard Calipari on the radio today. He was asked about if the players were playing for their NIL.  He gave an answer, which could be coach speak, about his team enjoys playing with one another and they want to keep the season going as long as possible.  Evidently, that wasn't the case with IU's players or the coaching staff.  Under Knight, our goals were to win a Big Ten Title, and if invited win an NCAA title or NIT title.  Under Woodson and Dolson, our program is such a mess that we wanted the season to end.  The program is being mismanaged. 

I became a fan in the early seventies as a young teen and was an avid follower of college basketball (not USPS avid, but who is) with my street & smith's & sporting news publications.

I remember in the early 80's looking down on teams that celebrated wildly just for making the tourney.  Now we're one of those teams. Few traditionally elite basketball schools have fallen so far and for so long.  We're headed toward SF Dons territory.  It won't be fixed without bold moves.

9 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

It's actually worthless.  If your only measurement is making the tournament, then yeah Mediocre Mike is in a team picture with a bunch of guys.  If you're concerned more about the processes used to build a foundation and sustain success over multiple years, then Mike gets a gigantic F-.    

13 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

Still could not get in. Did they address how Woodson himself said they fell short last year? Or about how he stated his goal was to win the BT and national titles?  

He isn’t progressing towards winning BT and national titles. Especially with no recruits yet.  

Just now, 8bucks said:

Still could not get in. Did they address how Woodson himself said they fell short last year? Or about how he stated his goal was to win the BT and national titles?  

He isn’t progressing towards winning BT and national titles. Especially with no recruits yet.  

Open a different browser to avoid the paywall/ip address issue.

49 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Yep, that’s mentioned in the article. Like I said, the guy provides a fair take. Doesn’t sugarcoat but also doesn’t badmouth.

Worth the read if you can find it 

Major props to @steubenhoosier

He has a different take than many, but he has adjusted his posting style when back and forth-ing those that frequently don’t agree with him.

FIGHT AGAINST GROUP-THINK!!  :)

I feel the ice melting and @steubenhoosier’s point of view getting some respect.

Go Hoosiers

21 minutes ago, rcbowla said:

It's funny....everytime someone claims to have played some sort of "high level" college sport around here and then are asked what and where we get crickets.

BGleas did and he has stated it before.  He is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

He has never used it as some kind of pedestal though!

31 minutes ago, rcbowla said:

It's funny....everytime someone claims to have played some sort of "high level" college sport around here and then are asked what and where we get crickets.

People that played at a “high level” don’t talk about it. Unless they played at a high enough level to support a podcast. 

5 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

BGleas did and he has stated it before.  He is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

He has never used it as some kind of pedestal though!

@Class of '66 Old Fart was a champion fox-tossing lad at IU back in the olden days when that was a varsity sport.

Just saying 

5 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

People that played at a “high level” don’t talk about it. Unless they played at a high enough level to support a podcast. 

Definitely. My Dorm team won our division championship in basketball and my big-red relay won as well. But until now you guys probably never realized how much of an athlete I was. I mean am. 

38 minutes ago, cleeter said:

It’s amazing how one person can just wreck a board for everyone else. I think NGW is back….or at least a family member for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang dog had to go for a walk and I missed it. What happened? 
By the way my dog is named Remy after Remy Abel. Not really but I tell people that.

6 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Mike Woodson played at a high level.  So did Juan Howard. And Chris Mullins.  And Randy Whitman. 

I’m starting to get suspicious of these high level players. 

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Definitely. My Dorm team won our division championship in basketball and my big-red relay won as well. But until now you guys probably never realized how much of an athlete I was. I mean am. 

My dorm team lost in the championship while up 20 points because I shoved the ref and he made us forfeit. Luckily both teams knew we were the champions and had beers together afterwards. Not the ref though.

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Dang dog had to go for a walk and I missed it. What happened? 
By the way my dog is named Remy after Remy Abel. Not really but I tell people that.

1) it was the dude being a jerk to you and others

2) is he named after the rat in ratatouille?