Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Yep... Woodson wants to make Indiana basketball just like the Yankees or Dodgers - buy a team each time around... 

And the Yankees haven't won it all since 2009, and didn't make the playoffs last year.

Just now, JF87 said:

I think if FAU makes the tournament, you need to go after May.  You've proven you're a really good college coach if you take FAU, a school with no tradition, to the tournament two consecutive years.  

FAU is a tournament lock.

2 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Staff will be changing some.

think some underestimate Woody’s will to win and forget how he showed that as a player. He isn’t going to go out like this. His mindset is way different than 6 months ago.

Nothing Woodson has done as Coach of Indiana matches your last paragraph.  Glad the 66 year old professional coach who has cashed over $10 million is ready to "get serious" now.  DWS

2 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Yep... Woodson wants to make Indiana basketball just like the Yankees or Dodgers - buy a team each time around... 

I think Woodson still doesn't know that he's not coaching in the NBA anymore. He thinks that some GM is going to do all of his player acquisition work. Has anyone told Woody that he's coaching in college now? LOL

26 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

And even if you do get 5-6 decent players:

a) they’ve never played with each other before

b) they’ve never played in this system 

c) and most importantly, at the end of the day they are still being coached by Mike Woodson 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Even if a miracle happens and the staff hits a grand slam in the portal, which is highly unlikely, they'll still be coached by this staff. 

That's the flaw in the plan. 

mic-drop.gif

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

His will to win as a player is irrelevant. That was almost 50 years ago. 

He's the head coach and his system is brutal. He's all of the sudden doing a complete 180 on how he coaches?

As someone said above, he's spent all season complaining about having a "young team" and "10 new players" (which wasn't accurate) and now all of the sudden he's going to lead a team full of transfer to the promised land? 

Color me skeptical. 

And the fact we saw some of the same problems his Knicks teams had doesn't suggest he has much ability or desire to change how he does things.

Just now, Ngw7183 said:

You are looking at one year. kSU for example had 9 on that run they made. 
Plenty of examples in what is a small data set with less funds. 

Kansas State brought in FIVE 2 years ago, NOT 9.

The other 4 were high school kids.

And if I give you Kansas State, that’s ONE. 

6 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I can research it but it is way, way higher than you realize. 

This is also so new. Such small sample sizes. It was last year or 2 years ago when 65% of rosters on sweet 16 were transfers. 

Sample size is small and I'll agree with you on that point. However, it's what have to go off of right now and early indications are that when you start getting up to the 5/6 transfer range it generally doesn't go well. Now, can you get 3 or 4 So. and Jr's to then build your core? Yes I suppose you can but they still have to fit to what you want your system to be and the only players that benefit in his system are post players. Have to adapt or all of this is for naught. We have a large enough sample size to indicate that he's not going to do that. In fact he just doubled down on his outdated philosophy a few days ago.

12 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The donors who are staunchly in Woodson's corner must be getting REALLY desperate if they're cool with the idea of purchasing a roster full of players from other programs just to see what happens next year. Hard for me to wrap my mind around how they approve of that given how starkly different it is from the way Knight's teams and program were put together, but I guess desperation will do that to people. 

Pacers-Buckner-Simons/Cooks. 

15 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I can research it but it is way, way higher than you realize. 

This is also so new. Such small sample sizes. It was last year or 2 years ago when 65% of rosters on sweet 16 were transfers. 

Had 1 or 2 transfers? Sure. No one is disputing that you can add a few good players through the portal which makes your team better. What people are doubting is if you can build the majority of your roster from the portal and be successful? The majority of teams that have a high number of transfers haven't done well.

Even this year, Woodson was using the excuse 2/3 of the way through the season that this was a "new team" that was "still getting to know each other." That was with more returning than likely  will be this next year.

Just now, Ngw7183 said:

You can be skeptical but former elite athletes rarely ever lose the will and competitiveness. 

His did have a “young” team with Ware, Malik, MM being his best guys. This is why he will get more upper class starters this year. 

Do you have names so i can imagine what this team may look like

Just now, Kentuckysucks said:

Maybe someone should inform him of the track record of NBA to college coaches. 

I mean what he is saying could work next year but it isn't a recipe for sustained success.  Woodson's strategy is to draw an inside straight every year apparently.  While that is technically possible and you could potentially win big if you do it, it is a completely bass ackwards way to build a program.

As I have seen people say, it doesn't have to be this hard at Indiana.  This is wasting money and resources for what is likely to be wildly inconsistent play from year to year.  It is stupid, which is why no one else that we currently aspire to be is doing it.

15 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Attention everyone.  IU is the only school in the entire country that is going to have $$ to throw at portal players.  Every other school has been notified that all NIL contributions must cease immediately.

That continued argument  re:  our huge NIL war chest is laughable that we're going to literally outbid every other program to fill a roster for a mediocre coach to mismanage.

There was also a post referencing a Twitter (X) post about the big donors pulling back on NIL giving... not sure where that landed - was it true or not? Could have impact on @Ngw7183 master plan.

3 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

You can be skeptical but former elite athletes rarely ever lose the will and competitiveness. 

His did have a “young” team with Ware, Malik, MM being his best guys. This is why he will get more upper class starters this year. 

So basically, what you're saying is that Woody doesn't want to have to develop young players and already wants finished products who were developed by other, better coaches.

Got it. 

Well, I guess that's one way for an ex-NBA coach to do it...