Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, SamIam said:

You're right, just Edwards and Edey. We definitely couldn't have used Swanigan, Ivey, Cline, Stefanovic, Gillis, Furst, Loyer, or Smith.

You have to recruit your pipeline. 

You do. But you don't need 15 dudes from Indiana, which is what a large portion of the fan base wants. Obviously we have a better pipeline than teams like Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas, UConn etc.. but it never seems to work out for us.

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Sure but those guys weren't realistic and Indiana doesn't have that deep of talent anymore it seems. Everyone runs off to private school nowadays out of state. No matter where they are from in the country.

The only reason Gordon was ever committed to Illinois was because Mike Davis was Indiana's coach. It's the same reason why Oden and Conley weren't at Indiana. And IU would have gotten DaeQuan  Cook and David Lighty as well had it been anybody but Mike Davis. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Why don't we just get the right in state kids? 

Furst and Gillis I have no interest in. Not sure I'm interested in Loyer. Smith yes.  Jack Benter yes. 

And not every instate kid wants to go to Indiana at all. Purdue,Notre Dame, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan etc. Northern Indiana kids really don't care about IU as much as they do ND, MSU and UM likely.

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

The only reason Gordon was ever committed to Illinois was because Mike Davis was Indiana's coach. It's the same reason why Oden and Conley weren't at Indiana. And IU would have gotten DaeQuan  Cook and David Lighty as well had it been anybody but Mike Davis. 

And we'd gotten Tyler Zeller if Sampson had more respectable individuals on our roster.  

Mike Davis also didn't recruit Luke Harangody until his SR year of HS. Tf ... he was a LEGACY!!! 

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And not every instate kid wants to go to Indiana at all. Purdue,Notre Dame, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan etc. Northern Indiana kids really don't care about IU as much as they do ND, MSU and UM likely.

Sisley and Mullins would have committed last year if anybody but the current staff was at IU. And they still might because that's how bad they want to play for Indiana. But the current staff is the ONLY reason why it's even up in the air. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

To be honest--- there are plenty of IU fans who owe apologies to Tom Crean. 

Also-- if another person's mannerisms bother you, grow up. 

The three years I was on campus were Crean's three rebuilding years, and he deserves a lot of credit for enduring 28-66 those first three seasons on its own, let alone what was accomplished thereafter.  2008-11 was tough times.  It's entirely possible it was time for a change in 2017 and I don't know about all the losing recruiting relationships stuff, that's all intel I don't have.  But I'll always be appreciative of him taking the job when he did and how much fun the seasons were when things came together.

Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking Crean had some odd quirks, but in retrospect I've found myself actually having a bit of an appreciation for the savagery that could be Tom Crean at times.

image.png.2a79337bd04100bda1219699207ddd09.png

6 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I see alot of posters saying we should have kept crean. Fact is crean proved he wasn't good enough to be the head coach of indiana University. The fact the university screwed up every hire after doesn't change that fact. We need a winner

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Perhaps that's underlying goal with each and every hire. Sink the program as far as humanly possible with nowhere to go but up. 

I see alot of posters saying we should have kept crean. Fact is crean proved he wasn't good enough to be the head coach of indiana University. The fact the university screwed up every hire after doesn't change that fact. We need a winner

In hindsight yes because every hire since has been worse. They have no idea how to hire coaches.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Crean deserved to go, but yeah the hires after were completely botched. You'd almost have to try to do worse.

26 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Sisley and Mullins would have committed last year if anybody but the current staff was at IU. And they still might because that's how bad they want to play for Indiana. But the current staff is the ONLY reason why it's even up in the air. 

Come on. Woodys second year we beat Purdue twice, come in 2nd in the BT despite having your starting PG out for the year and we were looking like we had a chance for LM, BF and DQ. The trend line was definitely looking upward that I doubt the staff was the reason they did not commit. 

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Come on. Woodys second year we beat Purdue twice, come in 2nd in the BT despite having your starting PG out for the year and we were looking like we had a chance for LM, BF and DQ. The trend line was definitely looking upward that I doubt the staff was the reason they did not commit. 

That's precisely what I'm talking about. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The anger isn’t entirely Woodson’s fault. Fans just sat through 4 terrible years with Archie, so the appetite for rebuilding was already pretty low. But there’s no reason to take such a step backward in year 3. Only having 1 commit in the ‘24 class doesn’t help either, especially with how he failed to close on many of the big fish he went after. Add in the stories of his laziness and you’ve got an unhappy IU crowd. Trying hard and failing is one thing. I don’t doubt that Archie was a hard worker. He just sucked. But it sounds like Woodson is on a retirement tour. 

That's just it. If he had a top recruiting class of several players ready to come in, this would just be a down year.  BFD.  3-4 core players coming in, plus the portal to fill in gaps, fans would have something to look forward to.  Today, not so much.  

Since there have been some conversations here about the role of the Board of Trustees this post is hopefully relevant.

Indiana Senate bill 202 just passed the Indiana Senate today and is being sent to the House. Regardless of whether you agree with the content, one provision could substantially impact athletics on our campus. Right now, 7 trustees are appointed by the governor and 2 by alumni. The bill proposes that alumni will have no say. Instead those 2 appointees will be made 1 by the Senate and 1 by the House.

I could see this being a bad thing perhaps for athletics, and allow substantially less flexibility where decisions about hiring and firing could be made. Just some food for thought.

I wonder how much a Purdue Final Four run, or heaven forbid a championship, would alter the calculus for IU.

As Ohio State's reaction to Michigan's national title shows, few things can motivate a school to step its game up quite like your arch rival winning big. Maybe something to think about for those hoping we change directions this off-season. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

And we'd gotten Tyler Zeller if Sampson had more respectable individuals on our roster.  

Mike Davis also didn't recruit Luke Harangody until his SR year of HS. Tf ... he was a LEGACY!!! 

Yep I remember what happened with older Zeller -- can't remember if Miles Plumlee's family also wasn't interested due to the Sampson players, as IIRC that was like 2007-08,  but my memory on that is hazy, not sure, and the Plumlees were Dookies

2 hours ago, craigyv88 said:

The three years I was on campus were Crean's three rebuilding years, and he deserves a lot of credit for enduring 28-66 those first three seasons on its own, let alone what was accomplished thereafter.  2008-11 was tough times.  It's entirely possible it was time for a change in 2017 and I don't know about all the losing recruiting relationships stuff, that's all intel I don't have.  But I'll always be appreciative of him taking the job when he did and how much fun the seasons were when things came together.

Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking Crean had some odd quirks, but in retrospect I've found myself actually having a bit of an appreciation for the savagery that could be Tom Crean at times.

image.png.2a79337bd04100bda1219699207ddd09.png

I will always be a Tom Crean fan.  He loved IU and loved Bloomington.  He and his family were very visible/active in the community.  I heard he fought hard to keep his job and challenged for one more year.  Things were going bad but I think he should have got that one more year.

He got fired more for ticking off every high school coach in Indiana to where AAU coaches and high school coaches was pointing their kids in other directions then he did for losses.    Head coach at IU cannot do that and expect to last much longer 

Recruiting momentum dried up for sure, and the results mirrored his maniacal personality. His Georgia stint has demonstrated and reinforced our decision.

No question the guy gave it his all.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Not true at least for Sisley anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk