Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I agree I think this season has taken its toll on him, and his family. He looks tired. I used to see his wife at games, but I don't see her much anymore. His daughter just had a baby. I see fans on Twitter tweeting at her saying her dad needs firing and even one person calling him the N-word. In this day and age when you are 66 why put yourself, and your family through this when you don't need the money? 

Yikes! 

There are 8 games left plus the BTT so not any real talks going on right now. Woodson might be having retirement talks with his family but I'm guessing he's more focused on winning a few more games. I think all of those talks will happen after we're done playing for the season.  I would say there is a chance yes. No matter what anyone thinks he still cares, wants, loves what is best for IU.

I don't think anyone doesn't think he cares it's more a matter of are you 100% committed to busting you @$$ 24/7 for this job. He isn't coach k who had 40 years success and can let his assistants handle a lot of stuff. This is more a rebuild which requires your focus 365 days a year.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, ISP said:

Just sent this to Dolson and the board of trustees...

athldir@indiana.edu

bdot@iu.edu

--- ----- ----- -----

Hello Mr. Dolson, 

As a 2009 graduate I wanted to send a quick email on a few different topics. 

1. The Cignetti hire was outstanding. I know it took a lot to make that change this off-season, but we all see the changing landscape in college athletics/football and I am proud that you took the initiate to upgrade our program. In addition many of our other athletics teams are competing on a high level and for this you all deserve praise. 

2. I saw you behind the bench during a timeout in last nights game. You were genuinely excited that our basketball team was making a comeback in the second half. I am very thankful to have an AD that is so invested in our program and clearly has that same youthful love that I see in so many of our older fans that have previously witnessed a high caliber program. 

3. The basketball program is in its worst state since Kelvin Sampson left it in shambles. I am 37 years old and while the program has been a shell of its former self since I can remember, this is the lowest I have ever felt towards our basketball program than I can ever remember. A win last night was a decent pallate cleanser in the micro, but in the macro we see the same issues. I do not believe that Woodson was ultimately your first or even second choice. In fact, I believe you were probably coerced into this hire by other individuals. With that said, while I did not think it was a good hire I did put 100% of my heart behind it. I bought mini-passes and made the 3 hour drive into Bloomington with my 6 year old son more this season than I have any other year. I’ve played basketball my entire life, I even played a year of college basketball until injuries mounted. I’ve coached basketball on a few different levels. I know basketball, as does most of this state. Our brand of basketball is just not inspiring to watch. The results are not good. There are so many red flags with Coach Woodson in terms of statements he makes, adjustments he will not make, and how this team plays and acts. We are at a point right now where our program can not move forward in another directionless season. Next year is not a season on the brink, but a program on the brink. In the same manner that you had to make an professional decision to move on from Coach Allen, I think it’s time to make that same difficult decision for Woody. I support you in this. There are more great candidates available right now than at any other point where IU needed a new leader. Scott Drew, Dusty May, Josh Schertz, Chris Beard, and Bruce Pearl are all wonderful options. When Woody was hired, most of us were blindsided but hopeful. If you were to hire any of the above candidates, there would be a newfound juice to our program just as there is in the football program. I wish you well in the upcoming weeks as I believe things are likely to boil over and become toxic in some ways. However, if you are unable to act soon, I fear that a larger piece of our program and fandom will be lost for good. 

Thanks for your commitment and time.

My first question is how do we know the Cignetti hire was outstanding? Yes, it seems that way so far but he hasn't coached or won a game at IU. I see more and more fans saying this and it blows my mind. He could go 0-14 next year for all we know.

Also, did you send this today? After we won on the road last night? Personally, I would have waited till Sunday after we lost to our rival but that's just me. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

My first question is how do we know the Cignetti hire was outstanding? Yes, it seems that way so far but he hasn't coached or won a game at IU. I see more and more fans saying this and it blows my mind. He could go 0-14 next year for all we know.

Also, did you send this today? After we won on the road last night? Personally, I would have waited till Sunday after we lost to our rival but that's just me. 

I can guarantee that he won't go 0-14 next year. 0-12 maybe but definitely not 0-14.

Agreed he hasn't coached one game.

1 minute ago, go iu bb said:

I can guarantee that he won't go 0-14 next year. 0-12 maybe but definitely not 0-14.

Don't put anything past IU. I guess I was so excited about those 8 home games, I added two extra road games. LOL my bad. 

Coach Woodson as a person, from what can be gathered from interviews, TV, and online presence is a great person. His conduct has been exemplary - he has never hurt IU in anyway publicly off the court. The personal attacks on him are outrageous. I understand IU fans are passionate, as they should be - but as a fan base we have to better than personal attacks on a man (or his family)

I hope Woodson retires and gets to be involved with the program in an advisor role, or in any other way he wishes. More than anything, IU needs new assistant coaches imo

Coach Woodson as a person, from what can be gathered from interviews, TV, and online presence is a great person. His conduct has been exemplary - he has never hurt IU in anyway publicly off the court. The personal attacks on him are outrageous. I understand IU fans are passionate, as they should be - but as a fan base we have to better than personal attacks on a man (or his family)
I hope Woodson retires and gets to be involved with the program in an advisor role, or in any other way he wishes. More than anything, IU needs new assistant coaches imo
Not sure who personally attacked him but don't we say every coach we have is a great person other than sampson?

45 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Given the context of IU football and our available options, I would say it was an outstanding hire. Cig is 119-35 in his career at 3 schools. Has never had a losing season. His record only improved as he moved a team into division 1 and not only that but he put them into the top 25. Immediately we get a visit from a 5 star QB recruit. Sure time will tell how things pan out, but I would say that given our circumstance as maybe the worst all-time D1 football program, it's a great hire. 

Question 2: I figured sending it today would be more likely to get read than on the weekend when they will probably receive hundreds more in their inbox. I celebrate the win last night, but what I saw did not change the direction I continue to see this program go. 

1 hour ago, ISP said:

Just sent this to Dolson and the board of trustees...

athldir@indiana.edu

bdot@iu.edu

--- ----- ----- -----

Hello Mr. Dolson, 

As a 2009 graduate I wanted to send a quick email on a few different topics. 

1. The Cignetti hire was outstanding. I know it took a lot to make that change this off-season, but we all see the changing landscape in college athletics/football and I am proud that you took the initiate to upgrade our program. In addition many of our other athletics teams are competing on a high level and for this you all deserve praise. 

2. I saw you behind the bench during a timeout in last nights game. You were genuinely excited that our basketball team was making a comeback in the second half. I am very thankful to have an AD that is so invested in our program and clearly has that same youthful love that I see in so many of our older fans that have previously witnessed a high caliber program. 

3. The basketball program is in its worst state since Kelvin Sampson left it in shambles. I am 37 years old and while the program has been a shell of its former self since I can remember, this is the lowest I have ever felt towards our basketball program than I can ever remember. A win last night was a decent pallate cleanser in the micro, but in the macro we see the same issues. I do not believe that Woodson was ultimately your first or even second choice. In fact, I believe you were probably coerced into this hire by other individuals. With that said, while I did not think it was a good hire I did put 100% of my heart behind it. I bought mini-passes and made the 3 hour drive into Bloomington with my 6 year old son more this season than I have any other year. I’ve played basketball my entire life, I even played a year of college basketball until injuries mounted. I’ve coached basketball on a few different levels. I know basketball, as does most of this state. Our brand of basketball is just not inspiring to watch. The results are not good. There are so many red flags with Coach Woodson in terms of statements he makes, adjustments he will not make, and how this team plays and acts. We are at a point right now where our program can not move forward in another directionless season. Next year is not a season on the brink, but a program on the brink. In the same manner that you had to make an professional decision to move on from Coach Allen, I think it’s time to make that same difficult decision for Woody. I support you in this. There are more great candidates available right now than at any other point where IU needed a new leader. Scott Drew, Dusty May, Josh Schertz, Chris Beard, and Bruce Pearl are all wonderful options. When Woody was hired, most of us were blindsided but hopeful. If you were to hire any of the above candidates, there would be a newfound juice to our program just as there is in the football program. I wish you well in the upcoming weeks as I believe things are likely to boil over and become toxic in some ways. However, if you are unable to act soon, I fear that a larger piece of our program and fandom will be lost for good. 

Thanks for your commitment and time.

Appreciate your passion for IU ball and reaching out the way you did, but Beard and Pearl are not wonderful options and won't happen at IU. 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I agree I think this season has taken its toll on him, and his family. He looks tired. I used to see his wife at games, but I don't see her much anymore. His daughter just had a baby. I see fans on Twitter tweeting at her saying her dad needs firing and even one person calling him the N-word. In this day and age when you are 66 why put yourself, and your family through this when you don't need the money? 

That is the problem with our fan base even if it is the minority of the fans but they make us look bad.

12 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

That is the problem with our fan base even if it is the minority of the fans but they make us look bad.

Maybe I should have worded it differently. I just meant that the majority of the fans wouldn't stoop that low to text his daughter. Those few who do makes our fan base looks bad 

Maybe I should have worded it differently. I just meant that the majority of the fans wouldn't stoop that low to text his daughter. Those few who do makes our fan base looks bad 
Correct but it's likely not unique to iu its social media in general. Some of the nastiest most vile people around live on social media. It is toxic as hell

53 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Appreciate your passion for IU ball and reaching out the way you did, but Beard and Pearl are not wonderful options and won't happen at IU. 

He won’t happen, but Pearl would be a phenomenal option. 

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

Not sure who personally attacked him but don't we say every coach we have is a great person other than sampson?

What was the purpose of this response? I've been a member on this board for 12+ years and I've never enjoyed it less w/ several posters spewing constant negativity and challenging any thought that isn't in accordance with their own. This isn't just a response to the quoted text, but a myriad of responses in the last month or so. Just give it a break

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He won’t happen, but Pearl would be a phenomenal option. 

Hear you -- a matter of opinion. His past NCAA - violations / troubles bar him, just not a fit for IU - agree he's a very good coach and a likeable guy though

2 hours ago, realTomCrean said:

Im still shocked Woodson kept Archie’s staff for the most part. That NEVER happens. I would’ve only had kept Cliff. 

I was around Crean the most, you had to tip-toe around him because he was either hot or cold. He loved to tell everyone how to do their job in Assembly Hall. The first few years it was ok, but by year 6 or 7, people got tired of it. Plus he brought his wife in more to be a decision maker on different things like halftime guests.
Archie was anti-social so no one really liked talking to him. It was awkward when he was around.
Sampson was fun to be around. I wouldn't trust him as a person. He was known to not pay his debts and always wanted someone else to pay for him even though he made more money than everyone else.
Davis was awesome. Just fun to be around. For the most part, most of them were decent people. 
Davis seemed like a good dude. Archie I really don't even get how he is a coach his personality seems more fitted for doing accounting or something like that.

18 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I was around Crean the most, you had to tip-toe around him because he was either hot or cold. He loved to tell everyone how to do their job in Assembly Hall. The first few years it was ok, but by year 6 or 7, people got tired of it. Plus he brought his wife in more to be a decision maker on different things like halftime guests.

Archie was anti-social so no one really liked talking to him. It was awkward when he was around.

Sampson was fun to be around. I wouldn't trust him as a person. He was known to not pay his debts and always wanted someone else to pay for him even though he made more money than everyone else.

Davis was awesome. Just fun to be around. For the most part, most of them were decent people. 

Know this may not be your area but I have a structure question. 

Assuming the rules don’t change with the pending SECBIG 40…

Could the program have two staffs where one is recruiting focused and another is development/game planning? Get the baby-kissers in to woo the Moms and peddle the NIL while simultaneously not sitting on the bench in game pondering the virtues of Powerade vs Gatorade?

Is that what we have now? Seems like it’d be easier to have the X and O guy stay away from parents cause they’re a poindexter and let Rico Suave deal with the humans.