Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

3 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Board of Trustees Agenda March 12, 2024

1. Discuss raise and contract extension for Mike Woodson.
  2. Discuss "Operation Btown Banners" to determine the effectiveness of our efforts to infiltrate the Fire Coach Woodson thread.
  3. Determine price to purchase Btown Banners to stop dissent if necessary.
  4. Discuss monitoring social media and providing IU fans a social credit score so "True IU" fans may be rewarded, and enemies of our current regime may be punished.
  5. Continue basketball propaganda campaign that everything is great, and everything is going as planned. 

6.  Consensus building professional development opportunity.

15 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

So - as you asked @Chris007 - you’re going to provide the posts that support your claim? If it was 90% it ought to be easy to get those for display.

It’s the same as a patient who’s asked how much alcohol they drink…the doctor can usually double their answer to get the truth. 

In his case, whatever number he throws out just cut it in half for a more likely answer.  

10 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Yep, it is a huge deal. The staff learned a lot. Have better connections to certain agents and players this time. So we will see.

Way too many assume this is like picking a team on recess. 

In your opinion, is the MVA pipeline in any way damaged / lost with McNeeley's decommitment? Any insight into the key relationships with MVA ... you seem to be the guy to ask 

6 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Board of Trustees Agenda March 12, 2024

Discuss "Operation Btown Banners" to determine the effectiveness of our efforts to infiltrate the Fire Coach Woodson thread.

I bet most will say it's a linear journey, with a rigid, proscribed set of waypoints leading, without exception, to a logical and predictable conclusion. 

1 hour ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

So to play out the Dalton Knecht example. How is that locker room working out? Vescovi has sacrificed playing time even though he committed to come back before Knecht committed. Jordan-James came back after Knecht committed. Someone was losing a spot. You've suggested that Knecht was promised a starting spot at UT, which would mean others were told they no longer had a starting spot. All that landed them was an outright SEC championship and competing for a #1 seed. Tough locker room situation.

Ledlum committed and then decommitted after Knecht signed.  I have wondered if he was told he had a starting spot with Tennessee and then when Knecht was signedd he was told that he wouldn't, or if Ledlum just knew that would mean less time.  I know they don't play the same position but Ledlum seeing himself as a SF or combo forward, there is a ripple effect on playing time.

All this rabble will come to a head pretty quick next season. Battle for Atlantis has Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, WVU, Gonzaga and Davidson. Be shocked if the TV people don’t match us with Arizona or Gonzaga early for the eyeballs. Another national television waxing by Arizona would be unenjoyable. 

2 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I was asking Chris to show where he said that. You are asking me to go back and quote members saying MM was a bust and will never be close to JHS production this year. Big difference. 

I used 3 examples of where people were dead wrong. There was probably even more than said another PG was a waste. It was a ton members. Few that agreed Cupps was going to be Yogi level. WE CAN ALL BE WRONG.

I am sorry but people telling me the 100% know Woody needs to go, the players needs to all transfer and burn it down - because they just know but dead wrong on those things. Yeah, sorry. Same as those people lost respect for Leal, I lost respect for them trying to burn it all down.

I never had any respect so no loss for me

So, you won’t. Fine.

While I will say comments should not turn personal, one can look at what Woodson promised when he got the job, his age, how he runs the program and constructs a roster and ABSOLUTELY say to a high level of certainty that he isn’t the answer as coach. Let’s forget about Woody’s claims of competing for national championships. - just to compete for a big 10 title he would have to pull off an absolute miracle in the transfer portal. There’s a better than 95% chance that isn’t happening. And even if he did bring in talent, the system that he has isn’t conducive to using that talent to its maximum. Sure, they will beat a lot of mid range teams. But as I demonstrated earlier against top competition, it doesn’t wash..

NGW is definitely right about where he stood on JHS/MM. He was vocal about that when others said MM should not see the floor at all, Banks should play over him, etc. Someone said as much in a very recent game thread but I will not call them out here. I believe NGW had quite a back and forth with BGleas on this. (apologies if I'm mistaken)

Pretty sure I recall everyone clamoring for another guard though. Any reference to Yogi, I would assume were made in jest/talking about him as an upperclassmen. For this season though, I think 99% of people were concerned about backcourt quality/depth. 

14 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Yep, it is a huge deal. The staff learned a lot. Have better connections to certain agents and players this time. So we will see.

Way too many assume this is like picking a team on recess. 

I don't think anyone believes it's like picking a team at recess . So what your saying . Is  a power 6 program wasnt prepared for what they knew was coming . That IUs staff knew little about the modern game and in and outs . What exactly did the staff learn honest ? .

On 3/11/2024 at 3:03 PM, Trish said:

There's also a reason why he's not a rotational player. He would be better off at a mid-major. The only reason he played this season was because Mike Woodson did his job a little too well and had ZERO help off the bench. Leal plays hard and is a kid you probably want on the bench sure, but he's not a rotational player for Kansas or Houston. 

Leal says "chill out" LOL 

10 minutes ago, DoctorP said:

It’s the same as a patient who’s asked how much alcohol they drink…the doctor can usually double their answer to get the truth. 

In his case, whatever number he throws out just cut it in half for a more likely answer.  

Quite honestly, I don’t think it’s a fourth of that if more than 10.

On 3/11/2024 at 3:03 PM, Trish said:

There's also a reason why he's not a rotational player. He would be better off at a mid-major. The only reason he played this season was because Mike Woodson did his job a little too well and had ZERO help off the bench. Leal plays hard and is a kid you probably want on the bench sure, but he's not a rotational player for Kansas or Houston. 

Leal says "chill out" LOL 

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Wrong people evaluating. I never heard Cupps as good as Yogi.  That’s your most ridiculous take yet.  No one said that. Cupps did get love though which I tried to settle down.  I watched 5-10 of his games. He wasn’t at the level we needed to compete at the level we want to compete. It was obvious. 

me and several others said IF we are counting on him more than 5 minute spells we are in trouble.  

Woody didn’t build a strong enough team and made a million coaching errors along the way and that is why we are out of the tournament .  

Had he had 1 more impact guard and played 7-8 and got rid of the stupid hockey subs earlier, we might be something .

Exactly.

I’ll admit I thought Cupps would do a lot better than he has this year. Then again, I didn’t expect him to have to play a majority of minutes as a starter, as opposed to being a 10 to 15 minute backup guy.

He was every bit as good as Brandon Smith in high school, but when Smith walked into Purdue, he had better players around him and a big ogre in the center to where he could play out on defense and not get burned as easy. Cupps doesn’t have that.

3 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

I don’t know how many times I can explain this.

Portal doesn’t work like this. Period. Agents are involved. If you won’t guarantee spots to certain guys, you won’t get them. Then, if you do and go back on it, that agent won’t send you another guy again.

his only option was to tell X and Trey, these guys have the spot and not you. It is easy to play Monday morning quarterback but even if you say, heck yeah he should have, how would that have played out to every other guy on team and in future? Talk about a bad locker room.

Why different now, he has one spot fully open and Trey more than willing to go to bench for the help he didn’t have this year. Trey was frustrated with lack of help. Not Woody. That is what he wanted changed. 

So, Timberlake's agent won't be sending anymore players to Self?

2 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Exactly.

I’ll admit I thought Cupps would do a lot better than he has this year. Then again, I didn’t expect him to have to play a majority of minutes as a starter, as opposed to being a 10 to 15 minute backup guy.

He was every bit as good as Brandon Smith in high school, but when Smith walked into Purdue, he had better players around him and a big ogre in the center to where he could play out on defense and not get burned as easy. Cupps doesn’t have that.

This is true to an extent, but Cupps isn’t exactly playing with scrubs either. His center is a likely lottery pick. We were in every mock bracket to start the season until we got nuked by Auburn and UCONN