Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Cupps got abused so badly that social services was called but I missed the TO of him getting chewed out. Maybe it was during a commercial. Ware has had some terrible moments, not seen him being screamed at, half the time he's not even hustling up or down the court. Mgbako we all know has been bad defensively all season but haven't seen him yelled at. Have the same standard for everyone. 

Saying Reneau was awful last week, and saying Trey was really bad the other night is not what successful coaches do. That's not the ownership I want for my program

And the play that led to the chewing out was that kids first points of the second half, which came with 6:30 left in the game.  I am all for getting on players, but not sure that's the battle you want to pick.  

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I think the current staff is acting like they will be here next season and this is what they will be after. He also said as we have said there will be a sit-down meeting at the end of the season asking Woodson to explain his plan going forward. I don't see that going well because Mike Woodson doesn't have to explain basketball to anyone. 

But we should not be trying to get a big man in the portal. Wings and guards

That, in a nutshell, is the biggest issue.  I could somewhat stomach the team stumbling if the head coach acknowledged that there are issues that have been identified and they are trying to fix.  At this I feel like at some point during the year he has thrown Ware ('if he decides to play'), Reneua ('he played awful'), Cupps ('he's just a freshman') all under the bus.  And he's thrown Banks, Sparks, and now Walker under the bus by burying them on the bench.  Only guy I've seen him defend is Mgbako and that was early on when he was struggling.

At what point does a coach start to realize that if the players/system isn't jelling, it's not a player issue but rather a coaching one?  The truth is this is the exact same system IU ran last year.  Only difference is TJD and JHS covered up a lot of warts.  But the talent IU has individually is good enough to win now.  Collectively, there are issues in the roster construction but losing at home to Penn State, Northwestern, and Nebraska wasn't a talent issue.

If you and others don’t think he did then that says more about your bias than anything.
yes, X has been held accountable and not just for the “dirty play” - you should well know that 
How did he hold him accountable? For anything?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

Gallo overplayed their PG to take away the outside shot and the PG then backcut.  Gallo recovered and forced a little turn around/reverse shot that the PG made look easy but was a clever cut and shot.  I think he only scored 2 points in the second half and for awhile Gallo started applying pressure ful court.  The full court/token pressure was when we made our run and seemed to speed them up a little and get them out of rhythm.  So while that was effective, I am sure Gallo was a bit gassed and the backcut was the perfect play to run.

After that basket there was a TO and Woody lit into Gallo.  I thought Gallo's d was what helped get us back in the game and the chewing out seemed excessive but I understand you sometimes do that with leaders.  I think it was shortly after this Gallo stopped guarding full court and the short lived rally ended.  Not sure if related but I remember sayig to myself at that TO I hope Woody does not change things now that the game is close.  That was the only change i noticed.

Actually, Nebraska was on it's run again -- doing the second blowout of the game.  

4 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Once again, Woody has taken ownership for that. He just did this week when talking about Trey. I am close to pulling up every press conference and clipping all the times Woody says I or that is on me, etc

You would guess they are upset with that but no, they are not. Because they have zero issue with it.  Honestly. them being down, frustrated, etc comes from other things but not that.  Nobody here wants to hear why they might be and that only Woody is at fault. Can’t be anything else.

irony is months ago on here I said this negative attitude being thrown at players was an issue on social media, booing etc. Everyone said that was crap and if players don’t like it, they are too soft. Now everyone defends Trey to the end because it fits their narrative. 

Trey has a choice. He can step up and block out all the things making him upset, be the leader or not but his frustration is not because Woody done this or that. 

I would assume that Trey is more upset about losing and his mistakes that contributed to losing than he is about being called out by his coach.  I would be disappointed if he wasn't.  Trey needs to improve his shot, free throws, decision making, and rebounding.  He also needs to be more vocal on the court.  Trey is a senior and team captain.  He needs to lead this team.  

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I also remember this board GAWKING over XJ when he entered the portal. He had that "dawg" in him lol 

In proper context, the board SHOULD have been extremely happy about him enrolling at IU.  That was 2021 with an extremely different in what the portal was.  Johnson was rated as the 18th best transfer in that class.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Saying Reneau was awful last week, and saying Trey was really bad the other night is not what successful coaches do. That's not the ownership I want for my program

The ones that do it that are successful don't do it to the press.  The one thing I will give Archie Miller credit for was he kept things in house for the most part.

24 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

In proper context, the board SHOULD have been extremely happy about him enrolling at IU.  That was 2021 with an extremely different in what the portal was.  Johnson was rated as the 18th best transfer in that class.

He should have been vetted better. He was a loose cannon at Pitt, too. 

Sorry--- reading this again-- proper context, like if XJ had simply done what he was suppose to? 

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

2 hours to catch up. 

And I'll just throw this little reminder out there.  When Fife was let go, one of the "reasons" that made its way around was because he offered some recruit that he wasn't supposed to.  With 1 signed recruit, maybe he knew just a little bit more than Woodson gave him credit for?  

100% doesn't matter what Fife's opinion was.  Assistant coaches that defy the head coach on scholarship offers won't -- and shouldn't -- stay around a program for long.

And FWIW I had heard about this before Woodson's first season had even started.  This wasn't a 'panic because there is only one recruit signed' time.

53 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

It's all good for a coach to hold his players to a higher standard if that coach is also taking any sort of accountability for his own shortcomings. He put these players in a position to fail and then he throws them under the bus. I totally understand being hard on them and truly I think they can handle it but I would guess they are probably sick and tired of being thrown under the bus while the coach throws his hands up and says that he has to get them over the hump and that his job is so hard because he has new players.

The way he continually throws his players under the bus and refuses to be accountable has just rubbed me the wrong way -- compare him to Moren, she doesn't do that. Maybe she can take over for Woodson. (Lol)

21 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Trey has a choice. He can step up and block out all the things making him upset, be the leader or not but his frustration is not because Woody done this or that. 

Switch "Trey" and "Woody" and it reads "Woody has a choice.  He can step up and block out all the things making him upset, be the leader or not but his frustration is not because Trey done this or that".

And THAT makes more sense than the reverse.  Woody is in scapegoat mode right now and it's very bothersome.

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

100% doesn't matter what Fife's opinion was.  Assistant coaches that defy the head coach on scholarship offers won't -- and shouldn't -- stay around a program for long.

And FWIW I had heard about this before Woodson's first season had even started.  This wasn't a 'panic because there is only one recruit signed' time.

Fair enough.  But Woodson, in fact, does suck at recruiting.  He's destroyed his legacy because of it.