Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

52 minutes ago, Mopladysman said:

1 final four in 23 years right?  You guys good with that?

Here is the full list of current college coaches who have been to a Final Four since 2000 (and the number of times they went):

• Izzo - 7
  • Calipari - 5
  • Self - 4
  • Pitino - 3
  • Few, Larranaga, Matta, Sampson - 2
  • Altman, Barnes, Beard, Bennett, Cronin, Hubert Davis, Mike Davis, Dutcher, Drew, Hurley, Martin, May, Moser, Pearl, Smart - 1

Pearl seems like a pretty good option to me.

13 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

Remember when fans were too self righteous for Pearl though?  I guess times have changed.  He would be a home run but I'm not even sure he would want anything to do with IUs dysfunctional board of trustees. 

I’d prefer Oats at this point , but I wanted to hire Pearl every coaching change after Davis .Go big or go home.

18 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Knight was a stickler for playing by the NCAA rules.  Knight suspended Alford for the Kentucky game because Alford took part in charity calendar in violation of NCAA rules. It was always reported that Knight had "issues" with anger and outbursts.  There were a few instances where it was said that he physically assaulted people.  I think it was reported that he threw an opposing fan into a trash can and there was an issue with a security guard in Puerto Rico.  He could also be demanding of his players, but nothing as bad as a recruit would go through at boot camp. No social media then, so you had to rely on what you heard.  Most of his players spoke highly of him.  But ultimately, we wanted to believe the good over the bad because he was a winner. 

Very minor point. This was the year before I started at IU. The NCAA suspended Alford; not RMK. However, he did put Alford through the ringer because if it. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Every single one of them thanked Newt Chitwood. He owned a gas station and garage. No player ever had to pay for anything there

Funny how I never even thought about that back in the day.  Looking back how did they never get in trouble...   

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

It's just really hard to call someone that was willing to choke a player--- "some who was a stickler for the rules." 

He won big here and you guys overlooked his deficiencies as a result. Which is fine, but call it what it is. 

I've already admitted I would have GLADLY done that for Bill Self the last 25 years. 

I don't quite think it's that simple. Knight was from a generation where strict military discipline was seen as a good thing. Most coaches of that generation looked like drill sergeants. When times changed and he went too far, he got fired despite being the greatest coach in the game. We don't need to relitigate his personal failings, the point is he was absolutely a stickler for the NCAA rules. I think it's perfectly rational for people to want their program to win and win the right way. 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Every single one of them thanked Newt Chitwood. He owned a gas station and garage. No player ever had to pay for anything there

I knew their family and had a gorgeous daughter. Great people.

I really don't care about coaches helping kids get free stuff, NIL money, make connections, etc. 

I do care about coaches covering up actual crimes (not NCAA violations that are often silly), recruiting drug dealers/etc., or being a drunkard domestic abuser themself. I'm guessing Pearl has learned a lot since 2014, and the NCAA has also drastically lost leverage. 

I'm not concerned about his ability to represent IU in a respectable way that meets our standards. I'm all for "second chances" in this instance, if you're really so concerned about him being a "bad guy." Bruce Pearl's never actually done anything truly abhorrent, unlike another "candidate" who shall remain unnamed 

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

That is some deep knowledge there.  Bravo

5 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I’d prefer Oats at this point , but I wanted to hire Pearl every coaching change after Davis .Go big or go home.

I like Coco Wheats better....lol

1 minute ago, Home Jersey said:

I really don't care about coaches helping kids get free stuff, NIL money, make connections, etc. 

I do care about coaches covering up actual crimes (not NCAA violations that are often silly), recruiting drug dealers/etc., or being a drunkard domestic abuser themself. I'm guessing Pearl has learned a lot since 2014, and the NCAA has also drastically lost leverage. 

I'm not concerned about his ability to represent IU in a respectable way that meets our standards. I'm all for "second chances" in this instance, if you're really so concerned about him being a "bad guy." Bruce Pearl's never actually done anything truly abhorrent, unlike another "candidate" who shall remain unnamed 

It was an assistant who threatened to deport Hanner.  But certainly Drew could've been aware.

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

All those calling for Pearl ... 

You do know he's 63, right? 

We hired Woody when he was 63. 

I'm old (not quite to 63 yet, but getting there), so I'm all for the oldsters -- but maybe not as our BB coach. 

He could easily be here for 10 years. 

Roy Williams is 73 and Coach K is 77. 

5 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Knight was put on zero tolerance when that was revealed.  Not sure I would call that being overlooked.  

And then he still couldn't stay out of his own way.... and it was 100% overlooked because I guarantee you our fanbase didn't care. Actually, I remember our fanbase not caring what he'd done. 

4 minutes ago, SamIam said:

I don't quite think it's that simple. Knight was from a generation where strict military discipline was seen as a good thing. Most coaches of that generation looked like drill sergeants. When times changed and he went too far, he got fired despite being the greatest coach in the game. We don't need to relitigate his personal failings, the point is he was absolutely a stickler for the NCAA rules. I think it's perfectly rational for people to want their program to win and win the right way. 

Ehhh-- not following the rules is not following the rules, and I assume "keeping your hands to yourself" even in the 70s was a thing... it didn't just come about in the 90s. 

Bottom line-- what Knight did was worse to quite a bit worse than Pearl. There I said it.