Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

I don’t know Woodson personally. Maybe he’s a great guy to have a postgame cigar or two with.  But the more I hear about him, the less I like him. I don’t like his approach to being the IU basketball coach at all. 
He clearly thinks he is Bob knight or some untouchable guy. I thought we were done hiring guys who have that mindset.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

This is going to work out great
It's probably going to be Wittman who was another bad coach. The iu motto is now go get the best players that money can buy.

1 hour ago, JF87 said:

The portal is our new normal.  Purdue will run the model collegiate program and we will reload with 70% mercenaries every year.  It saddens me that we have become that type of program.  IU- the best team money can buy!  Come see Happy for your cash!  Buckner, Woodson, and Dolson are an embarrassment for turning our program into this.  

And we get mercenaries who can’t even win games lol. The worst of both worlds.

I won’t lie. I don’t like NIL at all. In theory sure, it’s not my money. Who cares. But I don’t like what it’s turned college basketball into. We’re getting guys who only come to IU because IU will pay them the most. Like you said, mercenaries. There are talented players who would come to IU for the school, particularly in the 2025 in-state class, but Woodson’s too above it all to bother recruiting those guys. He’ll just pour himself a glass of red and tell his new GM to go buy some portal players. 

Just now, reconmkd said:

D@mm!t Fox Sports App, I didn't need a notification that Woody is being retained, I freakin know already! Your a day late and a dollar short :120:

I just got the same one. I was hoping it was something different. 

1 minute ago, realTomCrean said:

Brad Stevens will be announced in one year. We didn’t fire Woody to save $ for the long term goal. Admin has a plan

Lol  

17 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

So I am correct to assume that Woody and Moren won’t be breaking out a bottle of red together soon?

Moren has a tournament to win.  She doesn't have the time.  :) 

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

If it was up to him they would play at the Hyper

I know this is anecdotal and a joke but this is INCREDIBLY problematic. Absolutely embarrassing. Any idea how aware the BoT is of this attitude?

13 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

I’ll save football for another day but the basketball program is in much better shape than football was when Dolson finally moved Allen out. If people think Woody is out of his league, he is light years ahead of where Allen was. 

That is an interesting comment and I am sure I speak for many when I say “let us know what you got”.

2 minutes ago, spe317 said:

I know this is anecdotal and a joke but this is INCREDIBLY problematic. Absolutely embarrassing. Any idea how aware the BoT is of this attitude?

I don't think it would matter with the trustees but Dolson is aware of it. He cares deeply about the women's program. I'll leave it at that

12 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

I’ll save football for another day but the basketball program is in much better shape than football was when Dolson finally moved Allen out. If people think Woody is out of his league, he is light years ahead of where Allen was. 

I get what you’re saying but that also discounts the fundamental differences in the positions. The head coach of Indiana Basketball has zero inherent deterrents to success. Every opportunity to succeed both monetarily and talent wise. You almost have to try to not succeed at a place like IU (read: lazy recruiting, archaic scheme, etc). The football program has none of the built in advantages of BBall. We have never gotten a 5 star recruit in football. Not one, zero. We routinely get 1-3 4 star recruits at most every recruiting cycle. And there are 80ish kids on scholarship. So yes I will agree he has the basketball program better off, but that only shows a small part of the picture. 

And we get mercenaries who can’t even win games lol. The worst of both worlds.
I won’t lie. I don’t like NIL at all. In theory sure, it’s not my money. Who cares. But I don’t like what it’s turned college basketball into. We’re getting guys who only come to IU because IU will pay them the most. Like you said, mercenaries. There are talented players who would come to IU for the school, particularly in the 2025 in-state class, but Woodson’s too above it all to bother recruiting those guys. He’ll just pour himself a glass of red and tell his new GM to go buy some portal players. 
College bbab turning into a joke. Iu will just get guys who want money and purdue will get program builders.

15 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

Pretty pathetic if that’s true. We’re talking about the guy who was hired with no coaching search and who got a huge extension after Penix made him look better than he was. The future of IU basketball is probably the lowest it’s been since right after Kelvin Sampson and if that’s still better than football that’s sad. The IU athletic department has done a horrendous job with the football and basketball programs over the past 20 years. Most schools can seem to at least be successful at one but IU has done a fantastic job at being consistently bad at both. Congrats to you all, impressive work

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Once again I feel like I have to share this every couple of years. I have never said I'm an insider, I've never said anyone should believe anything I say, I've never pushed anything I've heard as fact. I've never said you need to read anything I write or hear. All I have ever said is I will always share what I hear.

Chris, I think if you are guilty of anything, it may be in putting too much faith in the people you hear things from. Everyone has people they trust, and I'd bet we have all been guilty of putting too much trust in someone at one time or another. I guess the cure for that is to take a "fool me once/fool me twice" frame of mind.

What bothers me more, is the number people who take everything said by yourself and others as being fact, and when it doesn't work out, people want to burn the thing to the ground. We've seen that time and again. That is where I get the "rinse and repeat" and the "people are naive" things. It is from seeing the same scenario play out multiple times over the years.

For my own part, I still want the team to do well regardless of who may be at the helm.