Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

13 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Trilly seems to think that Bruce Pearl's son being named coach in waiting is "the most important thing" to BP. 

Reading between the lines a bit based on some of the exact wording from Trilly, it sounds to me like Dolson is currently working through the pushback everyone has been anticipating. He mentioned getting people to "flip" ... this character in his Discord, who claims to be "a bit of a laughing stock" on HSN - goes by "backalleyguru" - says Pearl to IU is a done deal. He seems to just be blowing smoke though as Trilly could not confirm/wouldn't endorse what he said. That person is claiming Whitten is on board and if Trilly thinks she is not, then Trilly would be "flat out wrong" ... Trilly has not specifically addressed Whitten. The rest of the chat has been debating the whole BOT/QB angle, etc. When he says that BP would be "in line" to be the guy, I wonder how firm that is... 

It certainly would suck for Dusty to go to a conference foe. I completely agree he's unlikely to jump when we come calling down the road. But for me its tough to pass up a relatively sure thing, even when the alternate may be a home run. In 5-7 years, the Shrews timeline may look better. So much can happen in that time, it's impossible to account for the possibilities. What is clear IMO, is that IU would be instantly competitive next year with Bruce Pearl as coach. And that either Pearl or May would be better than year 4 of this staff. 

I don't know who back alley guru is but I will say he's had the same info as I have during the Stevens search and this time. He got kicked out of Peegs chat but he had numbers that no one else has had. 

I have no idea on the Whitten news if she is on board or not. 

Did a little research comparing who some believe to be the top 2 choices IF a change is made with the HC at IU.

Cronin over his last 8 seasons (5 @ UCLA, 3 @ Cincy): Average rankings via Bart Torvik
T-Rank (similar as a KenPom rating): 31
Adj. O Rating: 46
Adj. D Rating: 34

Pearl over his last 8 seasons at Auburn: Average rankings via Bart Torvik
T-Rank: 33
Adj. O Rating: 31
Adj. D Rating: 57

For fun, IU over those same 8 seasons (Woody 3, Miller 4, Crean 1): Average rankings via Bart Torvik
T-Rank: 52
Adj. O Rating: 70
Adj. D Rating: 50

I will say, I was one who argued against Cronin as the top option because of his offensive systems. Looks like he has been actually rather good on that side of the ball overall the last 8 seasons. If you take out this season, which has been an anomaly for him (he didn't have an O rating higher than 56), his O Rating jumps to 31.

I am firmly in the camp that a change is almost necessary at this point to save us from the depths of college basketball that IUFB has been in for so long on their side, but I was exclusively only wanting Pearl. Now, give me Pearl or Cronin.

1 minute ago, AKHoosier said:

If getting Pearl requires IU naming his son as the coach-in-waiting then I want no part of that. 

JMO. It isn't worth the risk.

I mean Fife was coach in waiting and he was let go lol. I’m sure what happens in that situation is in 8-10 years Pearl retires after about 3 games into the season then his son coaches the rest of the season then you find a new coach

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't know who back alley guru is but I will say he's had the same info as I have during the Stevens search and this time. He got kicked out of Peegs chat but he had numbers that no one else has had. 

Anytime someone uses the words "done deal" regarding an IU basketball coaching search you can bet the farm that the absolute worst will happen.  I'm anticipating a lifetime contract for Woody and that he'll coach into his 80s.  Only slightly joking.

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Well unfortunately he uttered the “done deal” kiss of death.  Maybe he still has time to edit that post.  

2 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

If getting Pearl requires IU naming his son as the coach-in-waiting then I want no part of that. 

JMO. It isn't worth the risk.

I know nothing about his son other than he's a coach on his staff. Maybe he's a phenomenal coach, but yeah from zero head coaching experience to leading IU seems like a big ask.

1 minute ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Anytime someone uses the words "done deal" regarding an IU basketball coaching search you can bet the farm that the absolute worst will happen.  I'm anticipating a lifetime contract for Woody and that he'll coach into his 80s.  Only slightly joking.

That's why it's going to be a long few weeks. This thing is going to turn at least 4 or 5 more times. 

9 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The handwringing over May possibly ending up elsewhere is really pretty comical.  He is an unproven coach at this level.  Dusty may be enormously successful or he could be like any number of coaches who moved up and flamed out.  That's not saying I oppose him as the next IU coach only that I'm not convinced he's our savior and that him going to another program means we continue to spend time in basketball purgatory.   And maybe it's all for the best he doesn't come to IU if he should fail and we have to fire yet another IU guy.    

Forgive me, sir, but calling out basketball purgatory might be a bit generous.

2 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

Did a little research comparing who some believe to be the top 2 choices IF a change is made with the HC at IU.

Cronin over his last 8 seasons (5 @ UCLA, 3 @ Cincy): Average rankings via Bart Torvik
T-Rank (similar as a KenPom rating): 31
Adj. O Rating: 46
Adj. D Rating: 34

Pearl over his last 8 seasons at Auburn: Average rankings via Bart Torvik
T-Rank: 33
Adj. O Rating: 31
Adj. D Rating: 57

For fun, IU over those same 8 seasons (Woody 3, Miller 4, Crean 1): Average rankings via Bart Torvik
T-Rank: 52
Adj. O Rating: 70
Adj. D Rating: 50

I will say, I was one who argued against Cronin as the top option because of his offensive systems. Looks like he has been actually rather good on that side of the ball overall the last 8 seasons. If you take out this season, which has been an anomaly for him (he didn't have an O rating higher than 56), his O Rating jumps to 31.

I am firmly in the camp that a change is almost necessary at this point to save us from the depths of college basketball that IUFB has been in for so long on their side, but I was exclusively only wanting Pearl. Now, give me Pearl or Cronin.

I think Cronin’s a really good coach who’s a really bad temperamental fit. That guy is not wired to be under a microscope like this one. 

38 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Not allowed to reveal my source, but it could someone on this message board.  

It just keeps getting thrown around as fact but I am not sure what people expect.  We want a competitive coach who cares about IU but if he does not quit this year it is because of his huge ego.   

24 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Trilly seems to think that Bruce Pearl's son being named coach in waiting is "the most important thing" to BP. 

I have said from the beginning this is all a negotiating ploy on Pearls part to get more money or his son named next coach. I get why fans fall for this stuff, but I hope the Administration isn’t.  

And that condition that his son be the next coach should be an absolute deal breaker even if IU is contacting him. That would be an awful hire. 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I can't imagine IU would do that. If Auburn isn't willing to do it, then why would we? 

.....and if true, for BP to push that on IU too would be disaster for him, if he IU is truly a dream destination for him.