Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

It's not low standards, it's having a lax attitude towards being mediocre. Younger fans are more realistic because we aren't expecting a championship every other year, unlike some, because we weren't around for any of it. Crean was the best coach we could get, and he wasn't good enough to win a championship so he got pushed out. And we've gotten worse with every coach ever since. 

There is so much more to it than that. Crean definitely had his good moments though, I’ll give you that.

Crean was not canned for not winning a national championship, I can assure you of that.

Crean was manic and his results fit his up/down personality. The administration did hamstring Crean though imo, and that’s a shame.

Archie was a goofy hire. Big swing and miss. Indiana should be swing for someone with his brothers accolades without the FBI on their heels.

Woodson was strange too, but I can see why they were trying to unite the fanbase. Would have been a cool story had it worked out.

If we ever take ourselves seriously and pay the best candidate maybe get over the proverbial hump.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

20 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

UConn's best players are never from Connecticut. Neither is Kentucky's. Or Gonzaga. Chris Beard came 1 minute away from winning a title with guys who have zero connection to Lubbock, Texas. Archie got a bunch of players from here and we see how that worked out. It's asinine to think it's somehow impossible to win unless you recruit players within a 100 mile radius of IU. 

Connecticut is basically NY, And they’ve had plenty of NY players—Villenuava, Kemba, Gordon, etc… Guarantee you Calhoun farmed his local area hard. Beards FF team was about half from TX.

UK, UNC, Kansas and Duke are rare exceptions but Crean couldn’t recruit on their level anyways so it’s a moot point. Also, if you pay attention plenty of Indiana boys have ended up on championship teams at Duke, UNC, and UK. So how was Crean going to win big and alienate one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in his back yard? 

6 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

It's not low standards, it's having a lax attitude towards being mediocre. Younger fans are more realistic because we aren't expecting a championship every other year, unlike some, because we weren't around for any of it. Crean was the best coach we could get, and he wasn't good enough to win a championship so he got pushed out. And we've gotten worse with every coach ever since. 

And it was nice too!  I cherished every moment that I could after watching all 3 National Championships under Bob Knight!  But accepting being mediocre is not in my vocabulary! The 1984–1985 season killed me and these last 25 years have been downright dreadful, except for a few years including 2002.  

If I wanted mediocrity, I would have become a Turdue fan a long time ago, by my count, they still don’t have a National Title to their collection, unless you count their women’s team 

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm an old fan who has seen three nattys, and I can tell you -- this post royally pisses me off. Blaming older fans for the shape the program is in now? You don't have the slightest f--king clue what "old fans" think. Who the hell do you think you are?  

Amen to that, without the past IU would be nothing

49 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

Crean missed the postseason once in 6 years. Compared to the GOAT that's not very good. But then again, those with unrealistic expectations,  nothing will ever be good enough. People get on here and say they'd love to have a coach like Painter, but he would've 100% been pushed out after that bad 3 year stretch he had 10 years ago, by the same people that pushed Crean out.

Crean missed the tournament 4 times in 9 years at Marquette and every year at Georgia. He wasn't some beacon of consistency. He had good times, no one will deny that as I said though making the tournament these days isn't a big accomplishment.

He wasn't just fired because he wasn't good enough to win a title. He turned a lot of HS and AAU coaches away from him because of his personality.

23 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Ok.   UConn has a recruiting pocket in the East where they recruit.  Kentucky is a national brand they along with Kansas and Duke are able to recruit nationally besides Kentucky isn’t a hot bed recruiting area.  Beard has plenty of Texas born kids on that roster which is smart since it’s a hot recruiting bed.   There is a reason coaches like Izzo recruit the state of Indiana so hard because its a hot bed for talent even being a smaller state then others.  It’s asinine to think the Indiana head coach shouldn’t recruit the state hard.    Crean had a top 50 guard that would have crawled to Bloomington but he messed it up and he went to win a national championship with Virginia.   The next year he missed out all 4 top 40 players from the state 

And while Kentucky isn't a hotbed they border one.

38 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Crean missed the tournament 4 times in 9 years at Marquette and every year at Georgia. He wasn't some beacon of consistency. He had good times, no one will deny that as I said though making the tournament these days isn't a big accomplishment.

He wasn't just fired because he wasn't good enough to win a title. He turned a lot of HS and AAU coaches away from him because of his personality.

Also from what I was told by a former IU management person was that he absolutely loved to tell everybody in the administration how to do their jobs and was a complete micro managing pain in the @$$ to boot

So I'm looking at Indiana vs Purdue number wise per Synergy. Tell me again what makes you have any confidence in Woodson in Year 3. Numbers speak for themselves. Just look at the .PPP and EFG%. Purdue is the better program and that isn't changing while Woodson is the head coach.

MSF3sXI.png

g6Pb4l1.png

6 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

This can’t be a serious question. 

Again, stick to, I want him fired. Simple. Logic and reasons are not working for you. 

Please list out reasons why you're confident Woodson will be the guy to turn things around. We'll wait. 

Whether or not you've coached or played "high level" basketball, it's clear that simple in game adjustments are not happening with Woodson. We hit our first shot 5ish minutes in the 2nd half on a pick and pop by Ware. We didn't run it again. It's maddening watching a guy get paid millions of dollars leave his 7 foot NBA player on the bench with .3 seconds left on an inbounds play under the basket. Maybe it's all too advanced for my brain and I shouldn't question the staff. 

If woody had fland, mcneely, and queen committed I think more people would give him a pass for this year. As it stands we have very little momentum and i wouldn’t be shocked if we have to replace the entire starting 5 of an already bad team. 66 year old Mike Woodson is not the person i trust to go get 5 people out of the transfer portal that are good enough to make a difference. That’s not a recipe for success.