Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

27 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Indiana was not willing to do the things necessary to be on equal footing in recruitments in those days. At least not to the level Crean would have liked. Crean likely has a long list but this one was the most obvious watching his recruitments.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Ya and I know the cupcakes he scheduled was a Fred Glass issue by not giving him a string budget to schedule 

3 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:
This is another issue. This belief if we were just serious enough to pay a top coach, they would come.,
Everyone can think Goodman is an @$$. He is. But… he is plugged in. He told us before Woodson the big time coaches wanted no part of this program and fanbase was delusional.  It is only worse now. You can get same or more resources with less drama at lots of other places. If Michigan, Ohio State and UK are open this spring, all 3 are way more intriguing to a top level coach. 

Woody would not have been hired if a top coach was willing to come. Money would not have been an issue.  

Not buying that there was no coach worthy of IU’s consideration between Brad Steven’s and Mike Woodson... Absolutely cannot be true. Dolson dropped the ball and Buckner saw an opening.

Just asking the younger fans who say us older fans are part of the problem. How and when did you become fans of IU. Did you grow up in an IU household and grew up on IU basketball. If you did then what generation got you into IU basketball in the first place, the older generation.

If you guys only became fans once you got to IU and never watched IU before that. If that the case I don't care what you think what or how IU basketball should be run. I couldn't care less what you think about IU basketball.

I don't like DD or agree with much but I do agree that his opinion that the University is worrying to much about having out of state students.  I think that has totally changed the fan base and it has caused a lot of division in the fans. 

Not buying that there was no coach worthy of IU’s consideration between Brad Steven’s and Mike Woodson? Absolutely cannot be true. Dolson dropped the ball and Buck er saw an opening.
I have bought that at all. I don't think quinn even looked

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Just asking the younger fans who say us older fans are part of the problem. How and when did you become fans of IU. Did you grow up in an IU household and grew up on IU basketball. If you did then what generation got you into IU basketball in the first place, the older generation.

If you guys only became fans once you got to IU and never watched IU before that. If that the case I don't care what you think what or how IU basketball should be run. I couldn't care less what you think about IU basketball.

I don't like DD or agree with much but I do agree that his opinion that the University is worrying to much about having out of state students.  I think that has totally changed the fan base and it has caused a lot of division in the fans. 

Lmao. Those darn out of state students and their *checks notes* IU fandom. 

55 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Let's all call a truce between the youngs and the olds.   We're all frustrated lol. No point in getting angry at ourselves when we're going to need each other to start an IU revolution....

Old guys ( me included) — just remember the young guy are paying our social security. :)

6 hours ago, GoIU8 said:

UConn's best players are never from Connecticut. Neither is Kentucky's. Or Gonzaga. Chris Beard came 1 minute away from winning a title with guys who have zero connection to Lubbock, Texas. Archie got a bunch of players from here and we see how that worked out. It's asinine to think it's somehow impossible to win unless you recruit players within a 100 mile radius of IU. 

lol what? Jarrett Culver, B12 POY and AA, was literally from….Lubbock.

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

I'm 33, grew up in southern Indiana... My family was not sports fans, and I was the first one to go to IU in my family. I went to IU from 09-13.... I was not even a fan until the 2011 team. Both of my brothers went to UofL, and I have a lot of friends that are fans of UK. So I feel I have an interesting perspective, that takes into consideration how others view IU.

I've never experienced IU being a legitimate nationally prominent program. Even in 2013 I remember my brother saying "dude Crean is your coach, you're not winning anything this year"... I stopped watching during the Archie years because it was too sad to watch.

Plain and simple, IU has not had a legitimate coach at the helm since Knight. We also haven't had a legitimate AD since Greenspan. and there are foundational cracks. We need a leader that can rally the fans and rally the administration to get on board. 

This can all be solved with one coach with a vision for the program that will comb over every detail of the program. Uniforms an issue? okay coach will solve it. Non-con an issue? okay coach will solve it? Bad practice facility? okay coach will solve it. I have 0 faith that the Admin or coaches are capable of doing anything outside of coaching that our program needs. Program needs a facelift badly that exceeds far beyond the style of play... 

Been saying it for years... 

I think my biggest concern is if Woodson is back next year is if I will be tough enough to survive watching another season. It truly scares the he'll out of me!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

This is where I'm at. I'm becoming too apathetic to watch the team I've loved for 40 years. I just don't care to watch... and that scares me.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Mr. Hoosier Pride said:

This is where I'm at. I'm becoming too apathetic to watch the team I've loved for 40 years. I just don't care to watch... and that scares me.

I read and hear more and more IU fans saying this.  I haven't reached this point, but I know others who have.  It's sad that something that has provided so much enjoyment is no longer doing that.  

2 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Because with his buddy quinn around he knows he is safe

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Then Quinn better start dumping some major money into NIL, we need elite talent to compete. Our coaching isn't going to cut it.

3 hours ago, J34 said:

51 pages of a broken record 

And you can bet that it will continue until a change is made...

Woodson is not the guy. He's shown that over and over... He doesn't get it... none of the kids today care that he played at IU 40+ years ago, played a bit in the NBA, was a mediocre coach in the NBA 10+ years ago... they see his horrible "style" of basketball and his "stuck in the '80s" schemes, his lack of energy on the recruiting trail... they aren't fans of a coach who makes excuses and throws the team under the bus at every opportunity...

59 minutes ago, Mr. Hoosier Pride said:

Fans need to stop attending games, stop supporting NIL, stop listening to Hoosier Hysterics. That stuff could add up if Dolson is too scared to make a move. 

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I'm 33, grew up in southern Indiana... My family was not sports fans, and I was the first one to go to IU in my family. I went to IU from 09-13.... I was not even a fan until the 2011 team. Both of my brothers went to UofL, and I have a lot of friends that are fans of UK. So I feel I have an interesting perspective, that takes into consideration how others view IU.

I've never experienced IU being a legitimate nationally prominent program. Even in 2013 I remember my brother saying "dude Crean is your coach, you're not winning anything this year"... I stopped watching during the Archie years because it was too sad to watch.

Plain and simple, IU has not had a legitimate coach at the helm since Knight. We also haven't had a legitimate AD since Greenspan. and there are foundational cracks. We need a leader that can rally the fans and rally the administration to get on board. 

This can all be solved with one coach with a vision for the program that will comb over every detail of the program. Uniforms an issue? okay coach will solve it. Non-con an issue? okay coach will solve it? Bad practice facility? okay coach will solve it. I have 0 faith that the Admin or coaches are capable of doing anything outside of coaching that our program needs. Program needs a facelift badly that exceeds far beyond the style of play... 

Been saying it for years... 

You're a young one.  Some of the old guys have wisdom.  None of those - uniforms, non-con, facilities, etc. aren't the issues.  The issue is finding a coach that can:

A)  Attract talent

B)  coach them up and develop them

C)  Put together an offensive and defensive strategy that uses the interchangeable parts common in college ball and wins games

D)  Hates to lose more than he wants to be right.    

Coach Knight, which most of the still living old guys grew up with epitomized this.  He wasn't the type of coach all players liked (his misses are infamous).  But he was able to bring them in.  Teach them basketball.  Ran a system that emphasized their strengths and minimized their weaknesses (he won with all different types of players).  Take a team and make it greater than the sum of its parts.  For the most part, he adapted and did what it took to win (except for the later years).  Got the 87 Championship with 2 community college transfers -- not something you saw a lot back in the day.  And he did it while getting most players to graduate -- which in the 80-90s was a national scandal the way college athletes failed to get degrees.  (Bob Huggins, for example, had seasons where no players graduated and an overalll 28% rate at Cinn).  

Since his dismissal, we haven't found the guy with all the traits.  Sampson was closest.  Maybe that guy exists.  Maybe we'll find him one day.   

It feels like we assembled a fantasy football team instead of assembling a winning basketball roster.
it’s what I hate about Kentucky’s model. They do it with an incredible fantasy football-style roster and do well, but underachieve. We did it with an ‘okay’ fantasy-football style roster.
Just curious, why wouldn't it be a fantasy basketball team? Lol

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

You're a young one.  Some of the old guys have wisdom.  None of those - uniforms, non-con, facilities, etc. aren't the issues.  The issue is finding a coach that can:

A)  Attract talent

B)  coach them up and develop them

C)  Put together an offensive and defensive strategy that uses the interchangeable parts common in college ball and wins games

D)  Hates to lose more than he wants to be right.    

Coach Knight, which most of the still living old guys grew up with epitomized this.  He wasn't the type of coach all players liked (his misses are infamous).  But he was able to bring them in.  Teach them basketball.  Ran a system that emphasized their strengths and minimized their weaknesses (he won with all different types of players).  Take a team and make it greater than the sum of its parts.  For the most part, he adapted and did what it took to win (except for the later years).  Got the 87 Championship with 2 community college transfers -- not something you saw a lot back in the day.  And he did it while getting most players to graduate -- which in the 80-90s was a national scandal the way college athletes failed to get degrees.  (Bob Huggins, for example, had seasons where no players graduated and an overalll 28% rate at Cinn).  

Since his dismissal, we haven't found the guy with all the traits.  Sampson was closest.  Maybe that guy exists.  Maybe we'll find him one day.   

Well said but how long is it going to take?  Us older guys aren’t getting any younger and we would like to see it in our lifetime, hopefully