Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I mean, your “fact” has been confirmed by nothing more than internet rumors. Even if it is true, Mike Woodson as their #2 option wasn’t a winning mentality and frankly doesn’t even make sense. How do you pivot from offering Brad Stevens $7 million to hiring Mike Woodson? 

And even if they want to win, they only want to win by their rules, rules which are nearly impossible to win under in college basketball and which require a top-tier coach. Yet top-tier coaches won’t come here because they can go to other schools where they won’t be forced to win with one hand tied behind their back. 

But that one guy on here who “knows” everything said Stevens to IU was a real thing until it wasn’t.

9 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

But that one guy on here who “knows” everything said Stevens to IU was a real thing until it wasn’t.

Idk if Chris’s intel is true or not. I don’t doubt that he was told the information that he shared on here. I’ve seen many insiders on the various IU sites. Many of them, imo, are full of crap and just make things up. Chris is one of the very few legitimate ones I’ve seen. But even legitimate insiders can get bad information. Idk what happened in that situation.

In any event, it just has never made sense to me as a scenario. You’re serious enough about winning that you offer Brad Stevens $7+ million a year. That doesn’t work out, so do you take your $7 million and go after another top guy? No, apparently you tuck your tail between your legs and offer it to someone no one wanted. Just an utterly bizarre situation. And hell, maybe that’s exactly what happened. I wouldn’t know. Would certainly be par for this administration’s course. 

2 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

I tend to agree with this. He does not appear to be a great person, or at least he has a wild temper with his wife according to the 911 call. That said, IU has a major ego problem. We're so self-righteous about our cleanliness, that we can't get out of our own way. Literally every other program in the country laughs at us for trying to present this crystal-clean public profile. Guess who is winning at recruiting, not getting in trouble and stacking up wins or banners year after year? KU, Duke, UNC, UCONN, UK, Baylor, Houston, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn, Alabama, MSU, Tennessee, etc. Give the self-righteous pride play a f'n rest and hire someone who knows how to win. I'm so sick of this. 25 years and we still can't figure it out. We want to win but we're not willing to sacrifice anything to there. The NCAA does not give a flying f*ck about cleanliness. They care about money. Get Buckner out of the way and make a Cignetti-type hire for basketball. You're welcome.

He’s a basketball coach paid to win games, something he’s extremely good at. Once people realize IU isn’t hiring Beard to become a priest, the type of person he is off the court is irrelevant so long as he does his job. But yes, we are a self-righteous bunch.

Something I would be interested in, but don’t think I’ve heard about or seen discussed anywhere.

Is Chris Beard any “different” now?

What I mean is, has he done anything to change, or recover, or get or be better?

Sometimes people come to a point where they decide they need to change and they make positive changes.

If that kind of thing happens, sometimes second chances are deserved.

I hadn’t heard anything about it, so I was curious.

Just now, BleedCubbieBlue said:

Breaking the rules and beating the **** out of your wife are two different things. Hire Sampson, Self, Pearl, Calipari, Pitino, or any other shady-@$$ coach who broke the rules or basketball, but hiring Beard is a different thing and we have to stop pretending like it isn’t.

Oh I didn't know he beat up on her. That's not cool at all. I thought it was a big loud fight at 4 AM. We don't need that type of human, agree with you there.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Idk if Chris’s intel if true or not. I don’t doubt that he was told the information that he shared on here. I’ve seen many insiders on the various IU sites. Many of them, imo, are full of crap. Chris is one of the very few legitimate ones I’ve seen. 

In any event, it just has never made sense to me as a scenario. You’re serious enough about winning that you offer Brad Stevens $7+ million a year. That doesn’t work out, so do you take your $7 million and go after another top guy? No, apparently you tuck your tail between your legs and offer it to someone no one wanted. Just an utterly bizarre situation. And hell, maybe that’s exactly what happened. I wouldn’t know. Would certainly be par for this administration’s course. 

I’m sure he was told what he wanted to hear by someone who wanted a narrative to be told. Works that way all the time.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Idk if Chris’s intel if true or not. I don’t doubt that he was told the information that he shared on here. I’ve seen many insiders on the various IU sites. Many of them, imo, are full of crap. Chris is one of the very few legitimate ones I’ve seen. 

Have to ask where those funds were put together and how the offer was handled. Money has strings attached, always. My guess is that in this case the strings for "taking a long shot on Stevens" were "if you miss, hire this guy".

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Idk if Chris’s intel is true or not. I don’t doubt that he was told the information that he shared on here. I’ve seen many insiders on the various IU sites. Many of them, imo, are full of crap and just make things up. Chris is one of the very few legitimate ones I’ve seen. But even legitimate insiders can get bad information. Idk what happened in that situation.

They definitely thought they had Stevens.  No one pays a $10M buyout to go out and hire Mike freaking Woodson.

7 minutes ago, raorIU said:

Counterpoint: you've brought nothing to this board beyond repetitive criticism and vitriol. Some of that is welcome, but preferably balanced if not outweighed by insight, humor, rumors - anything other than pot-shots at other posters really.

It's cool that you've got a line on Beard's finders fee or whatever. We get it.

I’m interested in becoming a winning basketball program again. Your interests seem to lie elsewhere. 

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

I’m interested in becoming a winning basketball program again. Your interests seem to lie elsewhere. 

Your posting is definitely helping that happen. Thanks so much for gracing us with your presence. Your service will never be forgotten.

16 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

Something I would be interested in, but don’t think I’ve heard about or seen discussed anywhere.

Is Chris Beard any “different” now?

What I mean is, has he done anything to change, or recover, or get or be better?

Sometimes people come to a point where they decide they need to change and they make positive changes.

If that kind of thing happens, sometimes second chances are deserved.

I hadn’t heard anything about it, so I was curious.

He’s 19-4 at a school who won 12 games last year with nearly a revamped roster. Nothing about his “past” has prohibited him from doing what he’s paid to do. 

31 minutes ago, iu-dl said:

I agree with all of this other than I actually think he'll walk away. He does not look like he's enjoying this experience, and he certainly doesn't need the money. He wants IU to win and he isn't getting us there.

I hope you're right.

6 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Your posting is definitely helping that happen. Thanks so much for gracing us with your presence. Your service will never be forgotten.

Thanks. I pray our younger generation gets to see IU as a winning program again some day. You SHOULD be thanking me for my service.

Until then, enjoy the overrated chants and Northwestern home court stormings.Your era has certainly set the bar high.

23 minutes ago, iu-dl said:

The guy who "knows" everything actually does know quite a bit and is pretty selfless. He has zero to gain and shares insight with a rabid fan base as a gesture of kindness. People attacking him when his sources are wrong need to find better things to do with their time. Would you rather have someone with an inside track or no one? Stevens was a thing until he wasn't. I also have sources who were close to this. Things fall apart - it is what it is.

Right. I'm sure Stevens was def interested until the Celts threw the GM job at him. Nobody saw that coming, and was probably the trump card for the Celts to keep him. People act like nothing ever evolves during a job negotiation.