Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Where are all these sunshine pumpers I keep hearing about? 

I think I am one! 

I never waivered from "Dusty not Woody in 2024"  and "no Woody in 2025," but I am also genuinely happy at the prospect of Tucker, and potentially Perkins, Conwell, etc. 

Maybe I'm a "party sunny with a chance of heavy storms" guy?

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

My answer would be all over social media, a few in some other threads and now even showing up in the Fire Mike Woodson thread. :-)

Is it okay to want Woodson gone yesterday,  but still be excited about the potential players coming in next year? Who gives a rats you know what about how much we pay them. It’s been happening for decades.

I won’t speak for social media because it’s a dreadful place. I’m not on it. But for message boards, it appears everyone is still anti-woody, but intrigued by roster potential next year. 

11 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I would never think to ask any of you how much money you made last year or to post copies of your tax returns for all of btb to see.  Yet there seems to be a fair number of btb posters who feel any player who's receiving NIL money has an obligation to divulge that number.  NIL dollars were donated and the donors knew in advance what the money would be used for and that the individual donor was not going to be consulted on how much to pay player A or B.  I feel pretty certain we have NIL donors on btb.  Donors that don't like how the dollars are spent this year will simply reduce or cease future contributions.  

Frankly, I think the kids are state employees and whatever money they are getting funneled should be public record.  And save me the idea that the collectives are private entities.  The biggest ones are IU directed work around to funnel money to players.  Our former AD runs one of them.

Nothing would ever come of it but IMO they are basically taking gifts that would be illegal for other government employees to take.

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I would never think to ask any of you how much money you made last year or to post copies of your tax returns for all of btb to see.  Yet there seems to be a fair number of btb posters who feel any player who's receiving NIL money has an obligation to divulge that number.  NIL dollars were donated and the donors knew in advance what the money would be used for and that the individual donor was not going to be consulted on how much to pay player A or B.  I feel pretty certain we have NIL donors on btb.  Donors that don't like how the dollars are spent this year will simply reduce or cease future contributions.  

Generally agree, but understand the speculation. As Stu said: 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

The game has now been "professionalized." With that fact, rather than scour the country for 100% mercenaries, we apparently are focusing in a real way on players that are more likely to play for IU because of their connection to their home state.

It's the age-old discussion about whether we should give bonus points to in-state kids; in this case we apparently believe we will get a better return on recruiting investment by doing so.

The lack of regulation in the landscape and de facto "professionalization" of CBB makes it more similar to the NBA in the financial aspect, i.e. fans have a rooting interest in how their organization manages their budget/payroll. Right now, player pay comes in the form of donations, but as you said... if donors don't like how the dollars are spent, they will reduce or cease future contributions. This model is not sustainable. In the absence of a better one, when fans of a big program are struggling, scrutiny on everything is inevitable.

Is it fair to the kid to speculate? In poor taste? Everyone will have different opinions. Today, just comes with the pay check, IMO. Think there should be a better model... we probably all do. Not sure what that ultimately ends up looking like though. 

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I agree with that. I mean he's going to be our coach next season and I'm going to root for IU. But it seems to me the ones who are still vocal about not wanting Woodson as a coach are being talked about, picked on, and attacked a little more because we are sunshine and roses. I've definitely felt it myself in the last month or so. I mean if you step out of this thread and say anything about Woodson you're told to get back in your place and now even here we are getting it. 

Also @Stuhoo is definitely  a sunshine pumper. :-) But he's OK in my book, most of the time

Gotcha. I think there have been times where the shots at woody have derailed legitimate discussion in other threads and that’s what gets annoying. Just because we want to discuss a player and how much we want them at IU does not equal wanting woody back. It’s just reality that he will be back.

And some people don’t grasp that and derail a thread. But for crying out loud… FIRE MIKE WOODSON

95% of this thread is totally negative about Woody and I'm on record as having wanted him gone as well.  But to say people are being picked on and attacked is laughable.  If expressing a view that doesn't fit someone's narrative is being attacked then we should completely shut down btb because it happens in almost every thread.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think I am one! 

I never waivered from "Dusty not Woody in 2024"  and "no Woody in 2025," but I am also genuinely happy at the prospect of Tucker, and potentially Perkins, Conwell, etc. 

Maybe I'm a "party sunny with a chance of heavy storms" guy?

Everyone in our fan base seems really into labeling each other these days lol. It's so weird.

I don't believe in calling people sunshine pumpers even though I definitely don't fall into that category myself rn, it annoys me to see it thrown around so much. I have been called it in the past plenty of times actually. Can't people just root for their team to win. We all may think the odds of that vary but if differing opinions bug you (2nd person you; not - you, Stu) so much that you're antagonizing people, either take a break from the internet or don't read the board for your own peace. 

It's actually bugging the **** out of me that, because people are frustrated coming off a bad season and everyone responds to that differently emotionally... people feel they must be the "realist" and everyone else is a sunshine pumper/doomer. 

There is so much uncertainty still with our roster and an entire season ahead. I am hoping we do great! Not sure it's likely. Have to see how it plays out. That's part of being a fan. Sucks that smart a$$es - of both sides of this spectrum - try to create middle school drama and suck the fun out of it for the rest. 

Like Rodney King said... can't we all just get along. Don't we all just want IUBB to be playing this time of year next year? Why begrudge anyone for how they feel now, last month, or last year? Save that energy and toxicity for PU or someone more worthwhile. 

4 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Gotcha. I think there have been times where the shots at woody have derailed legitimate discussion in other threads and that’s what gets annoying. Just because we want to discuss a player and how much we want them at IU does not equal wanting woody back. It’s just reality that he will be back.

And some people don’t grasp that and derail a thread. But for crying out loud… FIRE MIKE WOODSON

I agree that other threads have gotten derailed and they shouldn't. If a thread is about a recruit it should stay that way. It is a reality he's coming back it just takes others longer to cope with that reality than some. But you and I agree Fire Mike Woodson. 

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

95% of this thread is totally negative about Woody and I'm on record as having wanted him gone as well.  But to say people are being picked on and attacked is laughable.  If expressing a view that doesn't fit someone's narrative is being attacked then we should completely shut down btb because it happens in almost every thread.

Maybe a bad choice of words on my part. But I don't mind being laughed at. 

13 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I'm in the fire Mike camp, but I'm going to defend him a little on buying players.  Coach Woodson is the only IU coach to operate in the NIL era.  IU and all schools are learning and adjusting to the new reality. A lot of old school fans (like me) don't like that there currently seems to be no rules governing NIL.  For many of us, building a team by being the highest bidder for a talented player still seems sleazy even though it is legal, and the NCAA has little power to rein it in. It's possible that coach Woodson is being unfairly criticized because we associate him with a new recruiting reality that we don't like.  There are several good reasons to fire Mike Woodson, but I'm not sure using NIL money to buy a team is his fault.  It's just the new reality of college basketball. 

My problem with him isn't so much the idea of the money, it is that he is so lazy recruiting throughout the year and then tries to build a team in a month.  Relationships are built through the recruiting process with HS kids.  They come and visit and get to know players on the team and the system.  The school gets a chance to feel them out.  Ample time for everyone to decide if there is a good fit.  I think that leads to building more cohesive teams.

Woodson doesn't give the job the attention it needs.  That is the issue.  He had to go to two billionaires and say, "Mea culpa, can you all float me $2 million since I didn't do my recruiting job the past 11 months?"  That is what is frustrating.  That is what annoys people.  Woody landed another 5* player after 3 days, wow, how awesome.  He has done that every year here though and the results have been decidedly mediocre.  The problem has never been landing talent.  The problem has been the entire approach to roster construction and the style of play.  Everybody knows we are going to get some dudes, we walked up to the table with the ability to match the most bets.  The problem is that we are likely overspending for talent and setting a bar that is going to stick with the program for awhile to just cover up the fact our coach wants an NBA schedule and is a lazy recruiter.