Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

21 minutes ago, SamIam said:

Okay lets say Dusty May is absolutely fanatical about the IU job. IMO there is still no way that he doesn't take a P5 job, and there's certainly no way he comes to be some HC in waiting here. There is absolutely no guarantee for him that IU will be there waiting if he stays at FAU. Look at this board, some of you think he's "unproven" and that sentiment seems to be shared by QB. If I'm his agent, there's no way I'm letting him pass up this cycle.  The money is just too different and there's no guarantee it will be there forever. And if UM/UL go in other directions, WVU is patiently waiting. 

He's not going to take a P5 job just to take a P5 job. If he doesn't view WVU the same as other jobs he may hold off another year. 

5 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I will say one thing that would concern me if true is if Pearl is saying that Auburn were to make it to the final four this year he would retire.  If he is already looking toward an end game of retiring, might not be the guy we need.

I could never quite wrap my head around people wanting a coach that old.   

He is very popular in these parts though. 

Maybe someone else can answer this, but is Woody so insulated from outside noise he really has no idea how hot his seat is? I mean I get being arrogant, but it is so hard for me to believe he has any desire to deal with this next season. Could he possibly believe the players he needs are going to fall into his lap for next season based on it being IU and dollar signs? I know not to underestimate the power of surrounding yourself with yes men, but it feels like he is living in a different universe based on some of his comments. 

If whatever he heard/saw was enough to warrant the true fans comment, he legitimately has no idea what he is in for nationally and in Bloomington if they start like 5-5 or drop a couple to cupcakes. Or does he just not care because he made 220,000 dollars per win this season? Okay after typing that out, I see it. He is never leaving of his own volition. My B lol.

6 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I could never quite wrap my head around people wanting a coach that old.   

He is very popular in these parts though. 

Early 60’s isn’t old. He has a solid 7-8 years left of coaching. That’s plenty of time for Him to make IU a top program again. Then it’s in a much better spot for the next guy. There is less risk because there is a long track record of success. The younger guys is a bigger gamble. No track record beyond a single group of players. It’s why so many mid major coaches that jump up a level after a good run in March flame out. 

13 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Mike Woodson thinks that Mike Woodson can win with any players. 

No, Mike Woodson thinks he can only win with proven veteran college players because high school players lack good fundamentals and he’s too lazy to teach them, even though he said that he loves teaching young kids the game of basketball and that’s why I wanted to coach college basketball at IU.  He wants experienced players that other coaches have taken the time to teach them fundamentals.  

Maybe someone else can answer this, but is Woody so insulated from outside noise he really has no idea how hot his seat is? I mean I get being arrogant, but it is so hard for me to believe he has any desire to deal with this next season. Could he possibly believe the players he needs are going to fall into his lap for next season based on it being IU and dollar signs? I know not to underestimate the power of surrounding yourself with yes men, but it feels like he is living in a different universe based on some of his comments. 
If whatever he heard/saw was enough to warrant the true fans comment, he legitimately has no idea what he is in for nationally and in Bloomington if they start like 5-5 or drop a couple to cupcakes. Or does he just not care because he made 220,000 dollars per win this season? Okay after typing that out, I see it. He is never leaving of his own volition. My B lol.
I think Chris basically said his assistants are afraid to tell him anything. It makes total sense why fife left he wasn't a Woodson yes man. Woodson clearly thinks he is bigger than the program nd what he says goes period.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Why does everyone assume Buckner will be gone in '25. Is there a term limit on BoT? If not who's to say he won't be reappointed? I'm not familiar with how all of that works as far as terms/appointments.

1 minute ago, rcbowla said:

Why does everyone assume Buckner will be gone in '25. Is there a term limit on BoT? If not who's to say he won't be reappointed? I'm not familiar with how all of that works as far as terms/appointments.

Because he has been here 9 years and there is a new governor who might not want to reappoint him. But the biggest thing is he has told people he is going to be done. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

Because he has been here 9 years and there is a new governor who might not want to reappoint him. But the biggest thing is he has told people he is going to be done. 

Gotcha. Didn't realize he's said he is leaving. Thanks for clearing that up

11 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Woodson thinks he is an "elite coach" and "he has done his job". If he honestly believes that, then this man will believe anything. 

Waiting a year def throws off the Dusty timeline. He will probably have a much bigger buyout, and will have to turn a program around in under a year to be considered. IU is not paying 15-20 mill a year if Dusty just makes the tournament, he would need a Tang-like turnaround. I still think Dusty "would walk to Bloomington," to use Trilly's phrasing, but after hearing what QB thought about Dusty I'm afraid many of those on this board who thought he was "unproven" may have gotten your way.  He is not staying at FAU on some hope that IU will open. Without any guarantee, he has to do what is best for his career, and that is taking a P5 job. 

The Shrews timeline seems like it fits better and he is a great option. He's one of the brightest young coaches in america, he turned around the worst job in the Big Ten in 2 years, and made them see hope in basketball. Then he left that program for ND ostensibly to get back home to Indiana. He would absolutely own recruiting in this state and he is as good with X's and O's as they come. Who cares about "selling it to the fanbase." My top requirement is, was, always will be that the guy is a good coach. 

To that end, some of you guys will be upset with the hire no matter who it is. They could hire Jesus Christ himself and you would say "yeah well he did it in Judea but that doesn't always translate to the roman league!" If that's you, I would suggest taking a step back. It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better, because Purdue is going on a run. For the rest of us, we root for Woody in the portal, and for Dusty and Shrews next year. Go Hoosiers. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I don't think that has been a public announcement

So it's not out of the realm of possibility he gets reappointed and holds IUBB ransom for another term or longer? That'd be a roundhouse of kicks to the nuts. 

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

And he’s making sure to screw over iubb as his final act. What a nice guy.