Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson

36 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

This seems to come out of nowhere. 

Seth Davis, who seems to be pretty well respected, had an interesting take -- seemingly revisiting the Brad Stevens to IU narrative. 

I don't want people to get all jacked up about the Masshole all over again, but this certainly was odd. Maybe he was joking? I don't know what led to this speculation. Davis says "Perhaps if there's a big job open in his native state next year ..."

Well, there WAS a big job open in 2021, and Stevens wasn't interested. Why would next year be any different? 

I just simply cannot imagine why the President of Basketball Operations of the NBA's most storied franchise, with the league's best record this year, would return to college and deal with coaching, recruiting and the NIL and portal messes. 

Maybe he's just trolling us? LOL! 

https://x.com/SethDavisHoops/status/1778858724360433687

I would counter argue and say that it’s probably because he’s getting the itch to coach again, he wants to win an NCAA championship, and his job of negotiating contracts in the NBA probably sets him up to deal with the NIL landscape better than most college coaches. 

35 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Seth Davis, who seems to be pretty well respected, had an interesting take -- seemingly revisiting the Brad Stevens to IU narrative. 

I don't want people to get all jacked up about the Masshole all over again, but this certainly was odd. Maybe he was joking? I don't know what led to this speculation. Davis says "Perhaps if there's a big job open in his native state next year ..."

Well, there WAS a big job open in 2021, and Stevens wasn't interested. Why would next year be any different? 

I just simply cannot imagine why the President of Basketball Operations of the NBA's most storied franchise, with the league's best record this year, would return to college and deal with coaching, recruiting and the NIL and portal messes. 

Seth Davis makes extra money from interactions on Twitter.  Have you seen the activity on the Trilly Donovan discord rooms?  Speculation like Davis did is a good way to juice his biweekly Twitter earnings.

I am not entertaining Stevens to Indiana ever again.  Furthermore, so much has changed since he was in college, that isn't necessarily the slam dunk it would have been even 5 years ago IMO.  He has been out of the coaching game for a long time too and quite a bit has changed since he left.  That being said, if I woke up one morning and pigs were flying, Purdue coeds were hot, and Brad Stevens was our coach, I wouldn't be mad.

13 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Seth Davis makes extra money from interactions on Twitter.  Have you seen the activity on the Trilly Donovan discord rooms?  Speculation like Davis did is a good way to juice his biweekly Twitter earnings.

I am not entertaining Stevens to Indiana ever again.  Furthermore, so much has changed since he was in college, that isn't necessarily the slam dunk it would have been even 5 years ago IMO.  He has been out of the coaching game for a long time too and quite a bit has changed since he left.  That being said, if I woke up one morning and pigs were flying, Purdue coeds were hot, and Brad Stevens was our coach, I wouldn't be mad.

No way that Purdue coeds will ever be hot.  That just is not possible.  Period.

10 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Where to start with all this nonsense..

Can’t believe people’s number 1 concern last offseason was shooting. My number 1 concern was coaching. We could have done more with the roster we had which is true for previous seasons too.

On the topic of offseasons, looks like we’ve entered our most successful season of the year. Get the banners ready boys!

We need many things including players and coaching who understand spacing. While that’s extremely important, we leaders on the court and sidelines badly.

How many times have we led for a recruit thinking we had them in the bag only to watch them go elsewhere? Imaginary lineups are fun but maybe we sign those portal players, get them on campus, and have an off-season with much less yapping and a lot more leading to improve themselves and the team.

Super happy to have TJD and JHS get drafted last season and hopefully Ware this season. I’m more concerned about how players impact IU winning games. We’re like a Cal-at-pUKe-lite getting players drafted but haven’t don’t ****-for-all to improve the IU program.

BS isn’t coming to IU until we have better administrators. Not sure how this has changed over the last few years

You would think with how the program directs all the trolls with burners they could do better directing what truly matters but here we are

Yeah, buddy! Looking forward to winning another off-season and then another epic fail when "the ball is tipped".

BTW, the reason Woodson performs better in the off-season/portal season rather than the recruiting season is the amount of work required. Just dangle a big paycheck and wait for them to show up. None of that pesky relationship building stuff.

5 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Yeah, buddy! Looking forward to winning another off-season and then another epic fail when "the ball is tipped".

BTW, the reason Woodson performs better in the off-season/portal season rather than the recruiting season is the amount of work required. Just dangle a big paycheck and wait for them to show up. None of that pesky relationship building stuff.

I don't think it is building the relationships he struggles with.  It is maintaining them.  I think he is good in the initial meetings but he struggles to maintain everything because that never had to be a priority at any of his other jobs.

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

I would counter argue and say that it’s probably because he’s getting the itch to coach again, he wants to win an NCAA championship, and his job of negotiating contracts in the NBA probably sets him up to deal with the NIL landscape better than most college coaches

I was thinking the same thing.

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

My  heart cannot take being teased like this again.  

When it comes to Stevens I will believe it the moment it happens. Otherwise I just think it's a pipe dream. That being said if he ever wanted the job or still wants it, I think the whole mash hole speech was over the line. 

18 hours ago, AH1971 said:

The one year IU had a single good guard they were a top 30 offense.

But yeah, Mike Woodson.

That season was the ceiling for Mike Woodson. Yeah, the offense was good. He had an AA center (one of IU's all time best players) and a OAD PG. They had Kopp to make 3s and Galloway had his best shooting year by far.

Yet, they still only managed to go 23-12, 12-8 on the season. They only managed to win 1 B1GT game. Got a 4th seed in the NCAAT but managed only 1 win there, too. 8 of those 12 losses were by double digits, including the blowout loss to Miami to end the season. 

Even with an elite guard he wouldn't have TJD to pair him with. That offense had at least as much to do with TJD as with JHS. He forced double teams and did a great job passing out of the post.

So yeah, Mike Woodson.

23 hours ago, Kentuckysucks said:

images (8).jpeg

22 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I know you don’t want to take my word for it but he’s told a lot of people in the last 5 years that he will coach CBB again particularly one school.

22 hours ago, Trish said:

He’s going to get the itch to coach again, it happens to every coach. 

21 hours ago, ap2345 said:

I still think if his kids had been older when Woodson was hired Brad Stevens would be the Indiana University head coach right now and not Mike Woodson.

21 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I don’t think that was the plan all along. But I think it’s been said to keep contacting me and we’ll see if the time is right.

I do actually buy this, and he’s still quite young (47, 4 ~years younger than Mark Pope, for example), that he could have a long career at his dad’s Alma mater. 

He’s proven to be quite a good executive, too. That’ll be great for navigating the new reality of college revenue sports.

Trish is right, coaches get the itch to go back to the sidelines, especially someone so good at every part of the job.

1. get an NBA ring 2. kids age out of the nest 3. NCAA rules address some of the “Wild West” nature of the current landscape and maybe change the calendar to be less insane 4. IU needs a new leader…

This gives me some peace about the long-term.

When it comes to Stevens I will believe it the moment it happens. Otherwise I just think it's a pipe dream. That being said if he ever wanted the job or still wants it, I think the whole mash hole speech was over the line. 

I am guessing the one and only way quinn and the big money boosters would ever move on for Woodson is for Steven's. If not I am guessing Woodson is here for as long as he wants to be

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Bankshot said:

Ok. I understand the focus of this thread is on firing Woodson, but if I’m following correctly, Chris has been dropping some bombs in here that haven’t gotten much discussion. And these are new things I have not heard before.

What I think I saw was:
- There’s a possible to real chance that Brad Stevens could return to college coaching, perhaps at IU

- He may have told Indiana to “keep in touch with me, and I’ll let you know if the time is right”.

- Success by the Celtics could help this along, perhaps soon.

- Even though Woodson has Buckner’s (and boosters) strong support, if Stevens wanted to come, we would make that move.

Did I glean or interpret that right? If that’s correct, that seems huge!

Sorry for taking so long but watching my son play crappie golf all day but that’s another story.

No hints or anything like that but just talking about what Seth said. I think he wants to coach again some day. I think he really enjoyed coaching college basketball. He’s done it all in professional basketball as coach, GM and now president. 

I think Indiana basketball means something to him and his family. He’s told more than one person he would retire as the IU coach. I’m not guessing on that. Anyway who needs Brad when Woodson is killing it with all of these guards. Just wish someone would have told him it was a guards game before year 4.

28 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I do actually buy this, and he’s still quite young (47, 4 ~years younger than Mark Pope, for example), that he could have a long career at his dad’s Alma mater. 

He’s proven to be quite a good executive, too. That’ll be great for navigating the new reality of college revenue sports.

Trish is right, coaches get the itch to go back to the sidelines, especially someone so good at every part of the job.

1. get an NBA ring 2. kids age out of the nest 3. NCAA rules address some of the “Wild West” nature of the current landscape and maybe change the calendar to be less insane 4. IU needs a new leader…

This gives me some peace about the long-term.

With the portal he could be GM and coach which he’s done both well.

If Quinn and big boosters wanted Stevens and couldn’t get it done when they tried, maybe Quinn went with his buddy knowing that there will indeed come a time when Brad does want to take the job. Quinn gave the job to Woodson to have him coach in the meantime and is just waiting for Stevens to come back around. Obviously wishful thinking, but just trying to tie everything together if this Stevens resurface holds any weight. Boy wouldn’t that be something. Hard to type out knowing it could be wasteful thoughts haha. 

28 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Sorry for taking so long but watching my son play crappie golf all day but that’s another story.

No hints or anything like that but just talking about what Seth said. I think he wants to coach again some day. I think he really enjoyed coaching college basketball. He’s done it all in professional basketball as coach, GM and now president. 

I think Indiana basketball means something to him and his family. He’s told more than one person he would retire as the IU coach. I’m not guessing on that. Anyway who needs Brad when Woodson is killing it with all of these guards. Just wish someone would have told him it was a guards game before year 4.

I fall for the Stevens to IU talk every time.

image.png.cd43bf41c7bfe9282d0d8b2d09554367.png

44 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He’s told more than one person he would retire as the IU coach. I’m not guessing on that.

Goodness.  I sure hope that is true.  All of the rest of this bullcrap would be worth it if we somehow end up with Stevens for an extended period of time.  

1 hour ago, IUrocker said:

If Quinn and big boosters wanted Stevens and couldn’t get it done when they tried, maybe Quinn went with his buddy knowing that there will indeed come a time when Brad does want to take the job. Quinn gave the job to Woodson to have him coach in the meantime and is just waiting for Stevens to come back around. Obviously wishful thinking, but just trying to tie everything together if this Stevens resurface holds any weight. Boy wouldn’t that be something. Hard to type out knowing it could be wasteful thoughts haha. 

I am so ready to be hurt again.