Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

6 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

So, realistically, are his hands tied by the BoT, or is he complicit in the whole "Woodson, year 4" thing? Is he done courting Pearl?

My (uninformed) pulse on the situation is that I don’t feel Dolson believed he had the support or resources to make a splash hire this offseason. You fire a player legend in Woodson who has made the tournament in 2/3 seasons and replace him with a flavor of the month hire (say Dusty May in this instance) who completely bombs, your legacy is tarnished forever. Not saying any of this is true or correct, just what I personally believe. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don’t know the answer to that. I’m guessing he’s weighing all of his options. Right now he’s hoping Mike hits a home run in the portal but also preparing for a fielder’s choice which is more likely.

Care to explain what “preparing for a fielder’s choice” means or would look like? Thx

IU needs to make sure if they have a bad season next year that they don’t have a situation like Louisville is having. Scott has got to nail down his guy and have him committed/handshake

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

Never met him but my wife has. Her opinion is he is very smart and can navigate the politics of IU. Which leads me to believe he has a plan and is likely waiting until he can move on that plan. No inside scoop there just a guess. 

I would love to believe that but I just can’t. I have not one ounce of optimism left for IU basketball. I’ve been duped for decades now.

I am 100% convinced that Indiana cannot and will not ever be a winner again. They will do everything in their power to prevent the program from reaching its potential. 

From the sounds of it, Dolson is fighting the good fight but there are far too many guardrails installed. I’d go as far as saying that if they ever accidentally hired a winner, they’d find a reason to get rid of him. 

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

I want Woodson gone because I don't think he can be successful as a college coach. If he proves that wrong by making the S16, I'd be fine with keeping him for a while longer. I doubt he makes the tournament next year but right now we don't even know who will be on the team. Maybe he'll get the overwhelming amount of experienced talent he needs to succeed.

A sweet 16 run would be a great way to send Woodson into retirement. Under no circumstances should he be brought back after next year, imo. Either he stinks and gets fired, or he saves his IU legacy by doing well and then retires. 

5 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

Care to explain what “preparing for a fielder’s choice” means or would look like? Thx

I would guess it’s coming up with a list of people you would want to talk to when we suck in the portal.

I think Woodson is kinda like me and wanting to be in better shape.I want to do it and I want to put time and effort into losing weight but at the end of the day I like pizza more. He likes the idea of being IU’s coach but when it comes time to put in the effort of recruiting etc he would rather golf or go on vacation etc

4 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I would love to believe that but I just can’t. I have not one ounce of optimism left for IU basketball. I’ve been duped for decades now.

I am 100% convinced that Indiana cannot and will not ever be a winner again. They will do everything in their power to prevent the program from reaching its potential. 

From the sounds of it, Dolson is fighting the good fight but there are far too many guardrails installed. I’d go as far as saying that if they ever accidentally hired a winner, they’d find a reason to get rid of him. 

Couple things. 

1.  I have a hard time buying that you are 100% convinced considering you are here posting on this board.  If you were really completely gone you would be checked out from places like this and doing something else with your life.  JMO. 

2.  I am really frustrated with where things are.  But I have liked what I have seen from Dolson in the other sports.  I really like the football hire.  So I want to see what Dolson can do with his own hire this next time around.  I really believe he wants to move on and just has been blocked.  But I am willing to give him the next hire.  It sucks for this next year, but it is reality.  

3 minutes ago, HoosierBoiler said:

I think Woodson is kinda like me and wanting to be in better shape.I want to do it and I want to put time and effort into losing weight but at the end of the day I like pizza more. He likes the idea of being IU’s coach but when it comes time to put in the effort of recruiting etc he would rather golf or go on vacation etc

31579123.jpg

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would guess it’s coming up with a list of people you would want to talk to when we suck in the portal.

I would have asked for guys he felt they would target.  Specific names, and would also want to have kept in touch with them about who they were going after so I had my finger on the pulse, or lack of pulse.  If we are missing are guys we are targeting, better to know early than later.  

7 minutes ago, cleeter said:

Prepare yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well he has 1 scheduled so I think it’s reasonable to have 2 more schedule by that time frame

My biggest problem is we’re in just as bad of a spot whether Woody sucks this year or has a fine year and retires.

A new coach will have zero foundation for the 2025-26 season given we’ve struck out in the 2024 recruiting class AND likely 2025.

It would've been nice to have a new coach this coming season with foundational pieces (Gallo, Malik, Mgbako?) and the ability to potentially salvage the 2025 class.

You can fix quickly in the portal, but all successful teams need a foundation.