Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Nowhere close to goals =/= failure

Did we get close to winning the Big Ten regular season or tourney? Did we get close to winning a natty?

Mike Woodson is a mediocre coach who got and kept the head coaching job because he played at IU decades ago. It wasn’t a serious hire.

It’s possible for me to root and hope for IU to hang banners while understanding the above. I’m not telling anyone how they should root for their team. I do find it funny how some seem to have forgotten about the previous three years because we’ve cycled back to hanging a banner for winning the offseason.. again. Show me you can win something meaning besides an off-season bidding war with booster money. Understanding what doesn’t work, having the humility to admit it, and then working hard to correct would be a great start. After you reach a stated goal, do it again and again to prove you’re better than a mediocre coach. Until we get to that point I believe he’s earned his spot in the bottom half of the Big Ten coaching rankings.

A good way to judge a coach is to imagine them coaching at a rival school. Would anyone be worried about Woody coaching at pUKe or purdoodoo? I know I’d be ecstatic in that scenario.
As Chris said it only took a few weeks after the season for many to forget what a bad coach Woodson was last year. But that happens every summer.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Given what just happened at Kentucky and Louisville in their coaching searches, I seriously have to wonder if we had any serious candidates interested.   Hopefully he can go on a little run with theses new guys and then step away gracefully.  
What makes you think he will step away I could see him staying another 7 years given he only leaves when he wants to leave

2 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

What makes you think he will step away I could see him staying another 7 years given he only leaves when he wants to leave

From the Dolson interview today I don't get the impression he will be here for another 7 years. He mentioned several times he is a bridge. This bridge isn't that long. We're not on the Golden Gate bridge here

33 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

From the Dolson interview today I don't get the impression he will be here for another 7 years. He mentioned several times he is a bridge. This bridge isn't that long. We're not on the Golden Gate bridge here

Funny enough....Golden Gate Bridge isn't very long and is remarkably underwhelming in person. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

Hopefully just like Woodson's stent at IU.

I guess you can tell I've never been SF

I went there to see it with my only real visual concept coming from "full house" and expecting it to be this huge marvel. It wasn't lol.

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Now if he were like the Oakland Bridge? That'd be a long and agonizing time.

A bridge to me was like three years very short term. They gave him enough money to almost ensure he wins just enough next season to get himself a 5th year. He would really have to be bad not to win 20 games with that group. And 20 wins certainly gets him another year at IU.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I was just there in August.  Fisherman’s Warf and the Golden Gate Bridge are underwhelming as someone stated, but the Oakland Bay lit up at night and Alcatraz were pretty cool.  Also, Oracle Park is pretty cool to watch a game.

5 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Given what just happened at Kentucky and Louisville in their coaching searches, I seriously have to wonder if we had any serious candidates interested.   Hopefully he can go on a little run with theses new guys and then step away gracefully.  

I've attempted to be consistent in using "if the right coach were available" in my posts. However, there is a risk/reward element to it. It feels we've been rather risk adverse for a number of years now. As long as Woody is mediocre, we'll continue to have Woody and the army of positive posters that inflate his "accomplishments." That's fine for some but I'd much rather cycle through a few Woody level coaches until we find one up to what should be our standard.

3 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Thus the word “hopefully.”   

37 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I was just there in August.  Fisherman’s Warf and the Golden Gate Bridge are underwhelming as someone stated, but the Oakland Bay lit up at night and Alcatraz were pretty cool.  Also, Oracle Park is pretty cool to watch a game.

Muir Woods was the highlight for me.

26 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I've attempted to be consistent in using "if the right coach were available" in my posts. However, there is a risk/reward element to it. It feels we've been rather risk adverse for a number of years now. As long as Woody is mediocre, we'll continue to have Woody and the army of positive posters that inflate his "accomplishments." That's fine for some but I'd much rather cycle through a few Woody level coaches until we find one up to what should be our standard.

Yeah. I think you have to be ready to move if a coach upgrade becomes available.  Much like the Cubs did with Joe Maddon.  

Yeah. I think you have to be ready to move if a coach upgrade becomes available.  Much like the Cubs did with Joe Maddon.  

As long as Woodson donor buddies continue to give him top 5 nil money they won't move on. NIL will make sure donors have lots of say in the program. I mean dolson can't force him out if donors decide to pull funds.

A bridge to me was like three years very short term. They gave him enough money to almost ensure he wins just enough next season to get himself a 5th year. He would really have to be bad not to win 20 games with that group. And 20 wins certainly gets him another year at IU.

Well, he IS Mike Woodson. And he has a hump.

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I may have missed it, but what interview was that? Thanks!

1 minute ago, IU Prof said:

I may have missed it, but what interview was that? Thanks!

Hoosier Hysterics had him on their podcast. He was only supposed to be on for 40 minutes but it went on for over an hour. He talked Cigs hiring, facilities, Woodson 3rd season, and the re-signing of Adidas. I don't know if it's open to the public yet but they usually open it up. Probably by tomorrow

As long as Woodson donor buddies continue to give him top 5 nil money they won't move on. NIL will make sure donors have lots of say in the program. I mean dolson can't force him out if donors decide to pull funds. 

This is my biggest fear. In spades.