Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

Agree but many are discounting him wanting to go out like this. The level of will it takes to play at that level, play off back surgery etc doesn’t go away. 

Do I think he thought it would be easier, yep. Now he realizes. 

You can say he doesn’t deserve it, cool. But now that he has it, I think people will be surprised.  

You are the same person last year blowing smoke about getting players last year.  Same thing is going to happen with what happened with Liam.  See our offense and go man that sucks for guards and shooters. 

Edited by IUGRAD06

4 minutes ago, Shooter said:

I think the biggest argument against Woodson being able to build a successful team in the spring, is the fact that he already tried to do it this year and failed.

And he left a scholly open. And he ignored the need for guards. And he then again tried to play through the post, ignoring the arc. And he failed to follow up on HS recruiting. 
Pretty sure next year will be his last. A good thing.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Attention everyone.  IU is the only school in the entire country that is going to have $$ to throw at portal players.  Every other school has been notified that all NIL contributions must cease immediately.

That continued argument  re:  our huge NIL war chest is laughable that we're going to literally outbid every other program to fill a roster for a mediocre coach to mismanage.

Not just $$$.  This new Woodson Doctrine is the cutting edge of basketball evolution.  A new paradigm where traditional recruiting and student athletes athletes are passe.  We are witnessing HISTORY in the making, damnit!

58 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, and it's like Woodson is in this position by design. 

This isn't a strategy, this is an, "oh crap, we're screwed. What do we do now?"

Plan "C"....

32 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I still want to know what the end game with Woodson is?

I keep coming back to the whole “Archie got 4 years so Woodson gets 4 years” narrative. Is there a legitimate plan? Or are we just simply delaying the inevitable? You have to either fire/force retirement or extend Woodson after the next season. Are we letting Woodson coach in hopes he can step down on a higher note? Are we going to extend him so he actually has a prayer recruiting the class of 25 and beyond? 

I think it’s pretty clear the administration has no clue or plan going forward. The further and further Woodson sinks this program the harder it is to climb out of and harder to attract a quality replacement. Dolson needs to say something.

This is a very good question.  Is it "we want to him to get a 4th year so he can go out on a stronger year"?  Or is it, " we're going to prove to everyone that Mike can coach and we don't care how long or how much money it takes"?  I'm starting to worry it's the latter. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Sure, he has 3 seasons of eligibility, but when does he get his AARP card?

Woody in April ‘26: “We weren’t really prepared for Jamal to leave with a year of eligibility left, , but who could have anticipated that? 

8 minutes ago, Shooter said:

I think the biggest argument against Woodson being able to build a successful team in the spring, is the fact that he already tried to do it this year and failed.

Exactly.  He couldn’t get this team to gel, learn his D, and understand their roles until recently, what makes anyone think he can do it better next year?  Unless you think practice makes perfect!  

6 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

People don’t need to accept anything really.  I have no problem riding it out and not being invested as much until a change is made.  If IU only makes it to the side TVs next year then so be it.    

Being able to watch IU games was the one battle for which I would willingly go against my wife. How am I supposed to go into battle knowing I don’t even care if I get to watch the games anymore?  

14 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Correct. Still is but little far off that right now. Could I see sweet 16 next year and then make run in 2 years with this plan. yes. Has been done more than once with less of a war chest. 

I know nobody here believes that.

Now, if you are saying this working needs to lead to final 4 next year or move on? Yeah, doubtful.

again, this is what we have through. Seems like some need to get to acceptance stage of grief still. 

We're going to have to have an NBA team because Woodson rarely beats teams with equal or superior athletes.

8 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

And he left a scholly open. And he ignored the need for guards. And he then again tried to play through the post, ignoring the arc. And he failed to follow up on HS recruiting. 

TBH, it's one too many... but it's out of my hands.

Dang, if I was pleasantly surprised and it worked? That’d be fantastic.
I appreciate your caveat that we have to keep enough pieces from the current team. The first hint toward that will be seeing who goes through senior night tomorrow.
I thought they can go through senior night and still come back?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

No, there are tons of examples guys. A lot considering this is a new thing that keeps changing and small sample size.

Last year, KSU had 12 of them. UConn’s was loaded with transfers. SD St 4 of 5 top scorers were transfers. Texas and Xavier was 4/5 main starters. Maimi 3/5.  

Irony is majorly of teams who live at top 15 level, are made up of transfers. 

Here is example at Texas Tech when they brought in 9 and when to sweet 16. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/texas-tech-transfer-portal-sweet-16/itde2lojxnpfebsjtcuaxny7

I'm not going to go through every team you mentioned, but your examples appear to be misleading.

UConn did have 4 transfers in their 9 man rotation. But only one was a key guy, Tristen Newton. The others were role players getting <20 min per game. Their core guys were mostly homegrown.

San Diego St's leading scorer was Matt Bradley, who did transfer in. But last year was his second year in the program. Multi-year transfers are kind of a different deal. Also, two of their top 5 scorers were homegrown SDSU guys so I don't know where you got 4 out of their top 5 from. It was only 2 of their top 5 that were new to the team last year.

I'll concede K State was an example of a mostly transfer team having success. I think they are the exception rather than the rule.

30 minutes ago, PartyintheVillas said:

I bet the academic support staff is thrilled with bringing in 9 transfers a year.

After they start getting paychecks, they can pay for the best tutors & test takers.

9 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

He didn't ignore it, they all said no. I would almost feel better if he had ignored it. 

5 minutes ago, kottke said:

Being able to watch IU games was the one battle for which I would willingly go against my wife. How am I supposed to go into battle knowing I don’t even care if I get to watch the games anymore?  

Pyrrhic victory