Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Home Jersey

IUBB vs Auburn (Atlanta, GA) | 12/9/2023 @ 2:00pm on ESPN2

1 minute ago, cthomas said:

Is it safe to be here yet? Didn't see the game. Had a family Christmas gathering to go to. Saw the score and decided to flush the watch later plan. Granted I am way older than most on here but I refuse, at this point in my life, to let the results of a basketball game affect any aspect of my life. Full disclosure, I wasn't always that way, so I get the reaction. These days an afternoon with my grandkids trumps just about everything. We'll get better or we won't. But the things I enjoy most in life won't change.

Yes, it’s pretty civil. Many just pointing out our guard/wing strength isn’t there. 

it was pretty obvious to many before the season started and was exasperated by X’s injury. We have role players at the 1-3 and no studs nor depth

5 hours ago, IU_FanClub said:

I am pretty sure we basically told Caleb Love he wasn't for us but I do not have any actual info to confirm that. What a mistake not going all in him.

All indications are that Caleb Love told the staff that he basically wanted full freedom on the offensive end.  While we certainly could use Love's defensive skill, I think there were much better gets in portal/late commits that would have helped more.  Love still is a guy who likes to put up a lot of threes but doesn't hit many.  Given the choice between a healthy X or Love, I'm taking X.  The problem is that we were hoping for a healthy X PLUS another backcourt addition.

2 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Updated…

Marquee OOC matchups we have scheduled ourselves the last 2 seasons:

Arizona: -14

@ Kansas: -22

UConn: -20

Auburn: -28

Kansas: TBD

Totals to date: -84

Averaging a 21 point defeat so far. I think we hit the century mark next weekend!!

It hasn't been pretty, but I think just including the ones 'we scheduled ourselves' just removes the two games marquee matchups we won last year (at Xavier by 2 and at home against North Carolina by 12).  Bottom is we haven't done well in big games out of conference, but I think you have to include the whole picture because no one ever just looks at only the ones teams 'scheduled themselves'.

All indications are that Caleb Love told the staff that he basically wanted full freedom on the offensive end.  While we certainly could use Love's defensive skill, I think there were much better gets in portal/late commits that would have helped more.  Love still is a guy who likes to put up a lot of threes but doesn't hit many.  Given the choice between a healthy X or Love, I'm taking X.  The problem is that we were hoping for a healthy X PLUS another backcourt addition.
Hope is never a good thing. I have watched love at arizona. Sure he takes bad shots but he has also been a team player.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

It hasn't been pretty, but I think just including the ones 'we scheduled ourselves' just removes the two games marquee matchups we won last year (at Xavier by 2 and at home against North Carolina by 12).  Bottom is we haven't done well in big games out of conference, but I think you have to include the whole picture because no one ever just looks at only the ones teams 'scheduled themselves'.

That is my point though. I understand it’s not the whole picture. We’ve had the gavitt games or B1G/ACC games that get scheduled for us. We as a program need to be challenging ourselves and seeking out big time OOC games to get on the schedule. I’m glad we are doing that. But we’re not proving worthy of being in these matchups so far. Hopefully that’s our next step.

9 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Hope is never a good thing. I have watched love at arizona. Sure he takes bad shots but he has also been a team player.

When I said 'hope', I meant as fans we were hoping that we would have both X and another portal guard.  It wasn't defending our offseason moves but rather saying we needed to add a guard and didn't.

2 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Did Archie really do a bad job at recruiting? I think this is one of the most common misconceptions regarding Archie. When we look back at his recruiting, it actually wasn’t bad. Think about it.

- Had a top 10 recruiting class in the country his first year 

- recruited a 5 star in each of his classes (Romeo, TJD - depending on the service, Lander)

- recruited 3 straight “Indiana Mr. Basketballs”

I’m certainly not advocating for Archie, just simply stating that I think a lot of us forget that he recruited a lot better here than we give him credit for. Unfortunately it didn’t translate to wins and Lander was obviously way way off.

I don’t care about rankings.  I don’t care about stars.  Many of his recruits couldn’t play at the power 5 level. We are still struggling to repair the damage.  

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

Is it safe to be here yet? Didn't see the game. Had a family Christmas gathering to go to. Saw the score and decided to flush the watch later plan. Granted I am way older than most on here but I refuse, at this point in my life, to let the results of a basketball game affect any aspect of my life. Full disclosure, I wasn't always that way, so I get the reaction. These days an afternoon with my grandkids trumps just about everything. We'll get better or we won't. But the things I enjoy most in life won't change.

Wait a second 

#!!%^##€£¥!!! F _ _ _ ing !!& the #**\> mother F _ _ _ _ ing **!! And %>***!
Ok all good now

I don’t care about rankings.  I don’t care about stars.  Many of his recruits couldn’t play at the power 5 level. We are still struggling to repair the damage.  
He just isn't a very good coach he can't even win at Rhode Island. That's why flavor of the month hires suck.

Well... a lot of us would have taken 2-2 in this 4 game stretch of the B1G games and Auburn/Kansas, especially with X out. Dropping Kansas, we'd probably need to finish top 4 (maybe better) in conference to make the dance, which seems doable in this down year for the B1G. Well, it seems doable if we don't play like yesterday... 

I'm flushing that **** and moving on. We didn't show up at all so I have nothing to even say other than they better bring it against Kansas in Assembly.

We're overmatched on the perimeter. I just want to see a good basketball game with effort and smart play. We all knew this year would be a process/up and down. We are limited without having another solid guard (or two) who can also shoot. If X doesn't get healthy by the start of January games and/or Woody doesn't make some serious adjustments with the rotations, this season has potential to go off the rails  

Beat Kansas and all is well in the world. Just don't get embarrassed at home (I hate saying that/ this being where we're at as a program).

2-0 in conference. That's what I'm focused on. That's the record that's gonna matter in the end. We got off to the right start, but they need to be killers about maintaining a top 3 spot in the conference all season. Hopefully Woody can get them locked in....

9 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

What did Bates do that Leal couldn't have? And Leal still had a higher ball IQ, knowledge of the system and the ball never sticks in his hands.

No idea but if your basketball team is relying on either of them for big minutes then you have a flawed team and there is a  problem.   On a high level, contending for B1G and ncaa championship teams neither should be seeing the court for heavy minutes.   Coaches can preach they are all about B1G championships and ncaa titles all day but rolling out with the roster construction the IU staff decided to go with and think you are a contender is laughable at best.   

Woody saying he has to sub the way he does because he can’t play them 40 minutes is a choice as well.   This isn’t the NBA where they have to play back to backs and 3 out of 5 days or 4 in 7 days.  You play 2 games spread out through the week.   He needs to ask his buddy  Self next week how he played Harris 40 min against Missouri. 

Kansas starters minutes vs Missouri 

Harris-40

Adams-37

Dickinson-35

McCullar-39

Jackson(freshman)-26

no bench player played more then 8 minutes 

Edey played 37 mins for Purdue.  7’4 300 pound center played 37 min and lived 

20 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Woody saying he has to sub the way he does because he can’t play them 40 minutes is a choice as well.   This isn’t the NBA where they have to play back to backs and 3 out of 5 days or 4 in 7 days.  You play 2 games spread out through the week.   He needs to ask his buddy  Self next week how he played Harris 40 min against Missouri. 

Kansas starters minutes vs Missouri 

Harris-40

Adams-37

Dickinson-35

McCullar-39

Jackson(freshman)-26

no bench player played more then 8 minutes 

Edey played 37 mins for Purdue.  7’4 300 pound center played 37 min and lived 

I’ll bite: how does Kansas prepare differently that they are able to play near 40 minutes? Dickinson is closer to 30 than 20. Reneau and Ware not able to find that same kind of energy?