Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Coach Curt Cignetti to INDIANA

2 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Super Bowl XXXVII

That happened in 2002. He's coached a little over 3 seasons total in the last 15 years. None in college. His last taste of college football appears to have come 34 years ago, so it's safe to say he's never recruited. There have been hundreds of much bigger time college football openings while he's been unemployed and nobody has hired him? He's 60 and would be trying to jumpstart his coaching career at arguably the worst power 5 program in college football history. Is that really a fit for Indiana football? None of this even touches on his incredibly problematic history.

1 minute ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

That happened in 2002. He's coached a little over 3 seasons total in the last 15 years. None in college. His last taste of college football appears to have come 34 years ago, so it's safe to say he's never recruited. There have been hundreds of much bigger time college football openings while he's been unemployed and nobody has hired him? He's 60 and would be trying to jumpstart his coaching career at arguably the worst power 5 program in college football history. Is that really a fit for Indiana football? None of this even touches on his incredibly problematic history.

Is that really a fit for Indiana football?

I think there's also some vague ties to IU for Gruden and his family, can't recall what. Not advocating for it - but in terms of a Coach Prime like buzz around the program - Jon Gruden would be close or near to it. We're talking about the first and only D1 program to lose 700 games in history, if a former Super Bowl champion coach has interest in this program, Dolson should at least call. More stable options, but with portal and NIL Gruden might be able to stabilize things quicker than others due to his name

It also could be a complete disaster..

I'd rather we not just look at the MAC when the likes of Chryst and Fitzgerald are out there. At least gauge their interest. 
Not sure why anyone wants Chryst who was fired for running a football school into the ground, and if you want to make a controversial hire why would it be Fitzgerald over throwing as much money as possible at Gruden.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

No Dolson fan, but the women's basketball team is top 15. The men's team since he made a hire has made the tournament both seasons - which is what the AD at IU will always be measured by; and his men's soccer program is in the elite 8 among other program successes. Dolson has his flaws and I certainly don't get warm and fuzzy with the idea that he's calling the shot on this football hire after that awful Allen extension, but his incompetence hasn't done all that bad

Plus, women's volleyball, softball, and men's baseball are all thriving. Both swimming programs seem healthy, as well. Except for the elephant in the room (football), I really like where our athletic program is right now.

17 minutes ago, maharkn said:

Not sure why anyone wants Chryst who was fired for running a football school into the ground, and if you want to make a controversial hire why would it be Fitzgerald over throwing as much money as possible at Gruden.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

He should call Gruden. The point remains there are coaches that look like better options than "we need a coach, who looks good in the MAC".

Fitzgerald won 4 total games his last two seasons at Northwestern. His replacement this year took his 1-11 team and made them 7-5. He had two good seasons at Northwestern, one of them being the 2020 COVID season (sound familiar?) Tom Allen-coached Indiana beat his sorry NW team 34-3 in 2019.
Even putting the off-the-field issues aside, you can put the “Fitzgerald is a good coach” argument to bed. Dolson’s interest in him in the first place is enough for me to know I wish anyone else was making the final decision on this hire.

2 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Frank Reich just got fired who says no

NFL guys with zero college background are not going to be interested in the IU job. Gruden is only an option (most likely on his side) because he's been exiled from the NFL for the most part. 

25 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I'd rather we not just look at the MAC when the likes of Chryst and Fitzgerald are out there. At least gauge their interest. 

Chryst, Candle, Fitz have all been talked to, if not interviewed already. Fitz is well-liked by Dolson, just not sure he passes the test for the President. She would have to sign off on him with how things ended at NW

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

NFL guys with zero college background are not going to be interested in the IU job. Gruden is only an option (most likely on his side) because he's been exiled from the NFL for the most part. 

To be totally clear, I meant to lay the sarcasm on pretty thick there. Reich stinks! Lol

1 minute ago, AKHoosier said:

Ran a football school into the ground?! It's freaking Wisconsin we're talking about here, not Ohio State, Texas, Alabama, etc. They don't have some incredible in-state talent pool to choose from that should make their AD or fans entitled to 10 win seasons. 

Chryst should never have been fired imo. Look at his record at UW:

2015: 10-3

2016: 11-3

2017: 13-1

2018: 8-5

2019: 10-4

2020: 4-3 (covid year)

2021: 9-4

2022: 2-3

Made a bowl game every year, and went 6-1 in those. Won the Orange and Cotton bowls.

I understand that he may have some drawbacks, but I'm sorry, he's as close to a homerun hire that IU is going to get.

Yeah I get the concern, but his record is very impressive no matter where he was. 

Just now, OGIUAndy said:

Sorry. Not a Colts fan so I didn't understand the hatred. 

I’m not either, but I was hoping to get somebody riled up because the Colts fans here can’t stand him lol. 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Chryst, Candle, Fitz have all been talked to, if not interviewed already. Fitz is well-liked by Dolson, just not sure he passes the test for the President. She would have to sign off on him with how things ended at NW

Fitz would be terrible. Outside of the scandal, just look at his record the last few years. It seems Dolson needs someone with football knowledge to help him make a smart hire. If Dolson is seriously considering him, he shouldn't be allowed to make this hire, especially after the awful extension he gave Allen.

1 minute ago, go iu bb said:

Fitz would be terrible. Outside of the scandal, just look at his record the last few years. It seems Dolson needs someone with football knowledge to help him make a smart hire. If Dolson is seriously considering him, he shouldn't be allowed to make this hire, especially after the awful extension he gave Allen.

I agree, I'm not a fan of his. He really stunk it up his last 4 years

11 minutes ago, Leo said:

Fitzgerald won 4 total games his last two seasons at Northwestern. His replacement this year took his 1-11 team and made them 7-5. He had two good seasons at Northwestern, one of them being the 2020 COVID season (sound familiar?) Tom Allen-coached Indiana beat his sorry NW team 34-3 in 2019.
Even putting the off-the-field issues aside, you can put the “Fitzgerald is a good coach” argument to bed. Dolson’s interest in him in the first place is enough for me to know I wish anyone else was making the final decision on this hire.

Northwestern started playing football in 1882. Fitz took over in 2006. Northwestern made six bowl during that span. Fitz made 10 bowl games between 2006 and 2022. He won at least six games in 11 seasons. He had three 10 win seasons and two other 9 win seasons. He won 5 bowl games. 

Sure he fizzled out in his last four seasons, but he won at least six games in 10 of 12 years before his last four seasons. 9 bowl games in 12 years (IU has played 13 bowl games in our entire history). At freaking Northwestern. If you’re thumbing your nose at him, who would you be happy with? Dude would be a grand slam hire for IUFB.