Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Coach Curt Cignetti to INDIANA

If they hired Lewis they could possibly retain Bostad and get Leonhard, and a more flexible and potentially effective offense IMO than Chryst would likely try to install. Not to mention that Lewis brings more energy and charisma to the table than Chryst could provide.

Candle and his former boss Matt Campbell would be reasonable choices. And Barry Odom could be promising, especially if he brought his OC Marion with him.

Admittedly I didn't read the details but I thought I saw Fritz on his updated list. 

https://twitter.com/ZachOsterman/status/1729170516278493403?t=W_w2Z9_Ki8tjX7qlleAkZA&s=19
Willie Fritz "Fritz". Pat Fitzgerald "Fitz". People have been confusing me with these two as well lol

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Here’s my issue with a guy like Paul Chryst despite having success and a good run at Wisconsin: he’s never built a program.
Chryst was groomed to coach Wisconsin after playing there and previously coaching there before being sent off to Pittsburgh where he was decidedly average. He walked into a good-standing program with a well-established culture, a culture he was all too familiar with and once helped foster. He didn’t run the program into the ground as one poster put it, but Wisconsin’s play certainly leveled off to a degree and the Wisky administration wasn’t going to let it get worse.
I have no doubt about Chryst’s ability to coach. But can he build? That I’m not sure. There’s documented instances of Chryst’s disdain for recruiting and inability to be flexible with his offense. For Chryst to work at IU he’s going to have to surround himself with an elite offensive coordinator and one that can recruit. And IU’s going have to pony up the $$$ to either keep that OC or consistently get the hire right. I could get behind a Chryst hire where Sean Lewis (Wisconsin grad) is named OC and Jim Leonhard and Chryst reunite which would mean a strong possibility that Bostad is retained, but I’m not sure IU is committed to that type of pool unless Chryst is taking the job at a discount.
That same concern would be applicable to Candle as well. He inherited a good thing from Campbell.

Why not Cignetti or Chadwell?
Chadwell would be a good one. Not sure he'd be interested though as he is certainly going to land a much better gig sometime soon. Same can be said for Cignetti. So I consider these guys to be not realistic

2 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

That same concern would be applicable to Candle as well. He inherited a good thing from Campbell.

Candle is 44

Chryst is 58.

That was a big difference in coaching ages, and Chryst teams had fallen off the map from when Bilmema was there, Toledo's haven't.  

2 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

I’m not either, but I was hoping to get somebody riled up because the Colts fans here can’t stand him lol. 

You trolling bro?  I'll bite.  You knew I would lol

Frank Reich is a very likable guy.  His players loved him, he was great on the microphone.  He had a talent for gameplanning and getting out to leads in games.  He had no talent for in game adjustments and blew damn near every lead he had.  He would go for it on most every 4th down regardless of field position or clock.  Just really bad at in game decisions, yet insisted on having control of them.

Pass

20 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Candle has 2 11 win seasons, better than anything Campbell did, and one of them came 7 years after Campbell left. This comparison doesn't hold water. 

Would love to see Chris Petersen get a look. He can flat out coach and isn’t doing anything to my knowledge. Quit to have a better work life balance. Can only assume the low pressure of IU would suit him well. Plus he is only 59 with nearly an 80% win loss record. Back up the Brinks truck and make a pitch. 

Edited by Aguas

Candle is 44
Chryst is 58.
That was a big difference in coaching ages, and Chryst teams had fallen off the map from when Bilmema was there, Toledo's haven't.  

Age wasn't the concern. And Toledo was beginning to falter a bit from '18-'21 (still respectable). Now he has done well the last 2 years and especially this year. I'm fine with Candle but he didn't have to build a program which was resident's issue.

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

Age wasn't the concern. And Toledo was beginning to falter a bit from '18-'21 (still respectable). Now he has done well the last 2 years and especially this year. I'm fine with Candle but he didn't have to build a program which was resident's issue.

Age is part of the concern... inability to maintain a program, Chryst. 

Candle has 2 11 win seasons, better than anything Campbell did, and one of them came 7 years after Campbell left. This comparison doesn't hold water. 

Chryst had a 13 win season 3 years after Bielema and one more win than Bielema ever had (his 1st season). The comp was 2 coaches that didn't have to build the program. Neither Chryst or Candle had to do that. Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Personally I think Candle would be a fool to take the job. 

Yes. IU football could absolutely dismantle your career. A guy like Candle or Alabama OC who’s been floated around on X would be taking a huge gamble with their own careers coming to IU. You’re behind the 8-ball in every measurable program attribute, competing with Penn St, OSU, MICH yearly.  

-facilities, support staff, NIL, recruiting area, expectations 

Here’s a Q for you all: What is IU’s 5 year ceiling as a program? .500 and 1 year in Top 25? 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Personally I think Candle would be a fool to take the job. 

35 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

1.1 million and winning or 3-4 million and getting destroyed every Saturday... Personal choice for anyone I guess.

People that are really good and self-confident in their abilities are that much more intrigued by a job that has tons of room for growth, especially if it's well-paid and only if it has leadership that is willing to commit to improvement. 

For me? The predecessor for my current job was fired and the division that I took over was a complete mess. But the head of the entire organization was/is an A+ and was committed to implementing sensible changes that I had, even when the changes were a sea change. That dynamic made the job that much more attractive for me than a similar position in an already successful organization would have been.