Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

6'9" PF Anthony Walker TO INDIANA

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

Much like Sparks, clearly A Dude, as far as backups go. So:

starting caliber dudes: X, Ware, Reneau, Trey

reserve caliber dudes: Sparks, Walker

probably dudes of some variety in ‘23-24: Gunn, Banks

…and two spots to fill, with some strong prospects.

Still need a 2 that either pushes Trey to the 3 or to coming off the bench where he belongs. Woodson gonna have to make a splash to get a 2 and 3.

13 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Miami was pretty thin in the front court and as a senior still only averaged 3 points and 1 board in 10 minutes.  This is as unexciting as it gets; the only exciting thing about this is we're only stuck with him for 1 year.

Exciting? No, I'll agree with you there. Do all the commitments have to be exciting though? You can't really have a team of 13 stars.

It's obviously a depth addition and he only has 1 year of eligibility left, as you point out. 

His sophomore and junior seasons were both better than last year so he can do better. I look at him as a Geronimo replacement who is a slight upgrade due to being 3" taller and a better perimeter defender.

I'll only start be be worried if the staff continues to go after more players like this instead of wings but I don't think that will happen. Look at the other players IU is recruiting now to show that isn't the case.

2 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

You’ve said this like ten times and it’s still as unoriginal and uninformed as the first. Miami’s frontcourt beat our @$$ for 40 minutes. 

Sure... It just wasn't him doing the @$$ kicking. He played 13 minutes and had 4 points, 2 rebounds, a steal and a tourney. He only played a combined 47 minutes in the entire tourney. He's just Geronimo but 3 inches taller.

50 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Sure... It just wasn't him doing the @$$ kicking. He played 13 minutes and had 4 points, 2 rebounds, a steal and a tourney. He only played a combined 47 minutes in the entire tourney. He's just Geronimo but 3 inches taller.

Not the argument I was making in the slightest. 

6 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Still need a 2 that either pushes Trey to the 3 or to coming off the bench where he belongs. Woodson gonna have to make a splash to get a 2 and 3.

If Woodson makes a splash at the 2 OR 3, IU should be reasonably well-rounded and competitive, solid tourney team. 

If he makes a splash at the 2 AND 3? Time for completely unrealistic expectations and ridiculous hype! 

I’m as likely to point to stats as anyone but there’s something to be said for a player who plays hard, knows the scheme on both ends, and doesn’t make you pull your hair out. Especially a backup at the college level, sometimes that’s all you can ask.

If Ware/Reneau play 70 or more of the 80 PF & C minutes in the biggest games, it’s alright for the backup 4 to be someone like that.

40 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I’m as likely to point to stats as anyone but there’s something to be said for a player who plays hard, knows the scheme on both ends, and doesn’t make you pull your hair out. Especially a backup at the college level, sometimes that’s all you can ask.

If Ware/Reneau play 70 or more of the 80 PF & C minutes in the biggest games, it’s alright for the backup 4 to be someone like that.

Reneau and Ware likely get 55 to 60 minutes per game.

What this does it make it so that we don't have as large a drop off when we have to go to the bench next year.  We don't have a ceiling as high as we had with TJD but we have a higher floor now no matter who is in the game at the 4/5.

We won't have to ride any of these 4 guys into the ground like we did Trayce. (And we probably couldn't if we wanted to)

13 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

What this does it make it so that we don't have as large a drop off when we have to go to the bench next year.  We don't have a ceiling as high as we had with TJD but we have a higher floor now no matter who is in the game at the 4/5.

We won't have to ride any of these 4 guys into the ground like we did Trayce. (And we probably couldn't if we wanted to)

This is probably the best point and explanation about Walker committing than anything else I’ve heard or read!  Good points and well said!

For those that weren't aware, Walker has not yet been on campus as he had to finish up some academic work but is expected to arrive this weekend.

https://hoosierillustrated.com/indiana-basketball-transfer-anthony-walker-expected-to-arrive-on-campus-this-weekend/