Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Indiana Players Now In The Portal

3 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

He's shown flashes, sure, but that's it.  For every good game he's had a couple awful ones.  There were games he played 10-12 minutes and had 0 points and 0 boards, that's not making the most of the opportunities you get.  So far he's been a good athlete but not a skilled ball player and at some point that's just all he is 

He lead the team in “chit mans” — chit where’s my man on defense.  :)

2 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Duncomb, Bates, and Geronimo. IU can upgrade from those 3 

Maybe they can. But will they? The players that IU has targeted so far appear to be more of a lateral move. But assuming they are an upgrade, there is no reason to believe IU will land them all or even any of them. The best players in the Transfer Portal are being targeted by many many programs. The Transfer Portal is an opportunity to upgrade, not a guarantee. We will see what happens.

44 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Easier said than done. With everyone leaving IU it will be more difficult to attract top talent. Players want to go to a program that looks like it will win.

I don’t disagree with the bolded at all. Tamar Bates and Jordan Geronimo just aren’t the difference between us looking like a program that will win and us not. They’re mediocre at best role players. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

They’re mediocre at best role players. 

Bates was a 5-star for a reason. He has potential and has shown that potentials on occasion. College basketball is replete with examples of players that didn't reach their potential until after a couple of years of college--in fact, it is probably more the norm than the exception. I'm not sure why so many people are trashing Bates and Geronimo. Nobody on this board knows if they are staying or leaving.

14 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Citing K-State like the norm when is an extremely rare exception is a risky way to try to build a program.

Every team is basically going to have kids from the transfer portal on their team now.  It’s just the way it’s going to be.   Kansas st fired their coach and ended up building around 2 players that stayed but even one of those was a transfer (Nowell from Arkansas St).    They days of building a program through returning players and high school kids only is going to be the exception.   Even izzo who hates the portal grabbed his best guard from it a couple years ago.   Funny how this year when he mentioned his team didn’t use the portal he left out Walker from Northeastern.   Portal is here to stay and teams better realize that or they will be left behind.   My guess is besides FAU every team left has multiple guys that contribute that are from the portal.   FAU should be a top 15 team next year but I’m guessing that team won’t look the same next year because their guys will be in the portal 

9 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Bates was a 5-star for a reason. He has potential and has shown that potentials on occasion. College basketball is replete with examples of players that didn't reach their potential until after a couple of years of college--in fact, it is probably more the norm than the exception. I'm not sure why so many people are trashing Bates and Geronimo. Nobody on this board knows if they are staying or leaving.

5-star players are expected to make immediate impacts for their teams.  At least that is the way I look at it.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This team had tons of issues. Lots of flawed players. Effort and Energy was still consistent concerns. Geronimo goes after boards and hustles. Especially last year, made tons of hustle plays, including crazy block percentage.

I could take any player on this team a rattle off lots of flaws. I’m fine if he goes, whatever, lots of athletic guys out there. My bigger thing is he didn’t get enough run to really see what he can do. Had zero leash. That has an impact.

JHS gets revered but he played us out of as many games as he played us in. And he was unquestionably our 2nd biggest impact guy who was the epitome of hot and cold. Got 38-40 minutes.

I get it. I’m an advocate of play your best guys. Staff clearly doesn’t think he’s one of the best but he was on the fringe. I think he suffered from a total loss of confidence AS did the rest of our bench. That might not be a total player problem.

I think it’s clear he probably should go, and I’m fine with that but I could see him thrive under a different coach and a different system.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I have to completely disagree about his hustle.  He got out worked for boards just as much as TJD and Race.  If their is one guy that goes after the ball and always put himself in the mix it’s Kaleb Banks.

Geronimo has had plenty of run and chances over three years.  He got a short leash in games because he was really bad.  He’s always out of position and makes really stupid mistakes.  He has trouble catching the ball and making any type of basketball move.  He has been given too much time and too many chances in my opinion.  His issues are completely different than JHS running hot and cold with his jumper.

Geronimo is who I always thought he was from day one and that’s an athlete playing basketball.  Shoot I mean their were some people on here thinking he was going to be the next Victor Oladipo.  I am never fooled by all the athleticism.  You have to be able to have basketball skills and be able to play.  I wish him nothing but the best but if he does transfer I hope it’s a much smaller school.  I would be shocked if he went to a big time P5 program and killed it as you say.

23 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Maybe they can. But will they? The players that IU has targeted so far appear to be more of a lateral move. But assuming they are an upgrade, there is no reason to believe IU will land them all or even any of them. The best players in the Transfer Portal are being targeted by many many programs. The Transfer Portal is an opportunity to upgrade, not a guarantee. We will see what happens.

Those players mentioned are in no way a lateral move.  That’s not even close.  They are far superior basketball players.

18 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Trying to figure out what sense it makes to come here and bash the program, say it “won’t win,” but then want to keep the players.

26 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

It’s not “trashing” players to speak objectively about their abilities as players. Jordan Geronimo has played 82 college basketball games. Mediocre at best sums up those 82 games. Some are enamored by his physical abilities, but when a player is heading into his senior year, talks about his “potential” are a bit misguided. We’ve seen nothing from him to expect a substantially improved player next year. 

And yeah, Bates was a 5 star recruit two years ago. Now, two years later, he’s played 67 games and been seriously underwhelming. He had 1 good game in our last 16 games this year. In the other 15 games, he went 10-55 (18.1%), including 0-13 in the tournament, and now there are talks of him wanting NIL money for both himself and his family members. To that, I say see ya. It won’t be hard to replace his production. A lot of guys at the HPER can miss all their shots too. 

You’re obviously too young to remember Uwe Blab, particularly his first two years here.
I was a bit young then but remember him. My bad Peter Jurkin I do belive has Geronimo beat. The Whole reality is how can you play Div I bball and not be able to catch especially as a post, shouldn't there be a test? Have a machine that throws hard passes and you don't catch 80% no scholly.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk