Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Iowa - Thursday, 1/5/23 @ 9:00 on FS1

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

How bad are CJ Gunn and Kaleb Banks in practice to not see the floor?

We’re about to find out. I like their potential but I think there’s a little back-QB syndrome going on, especially with Gunn. I hope I’m wrong, tho. 

1 minute ago, southsidehoosier said:

After Wisconsin last year 

Race was holding Murray in check too

I don't neccesarily think that Race was holding him in check more than just making things tougher for Murray. Murray was still going to get his regardless of who was guarding him. However, what we really lost was the effort that Race brought in those few mins in the first. He was grabbing boards, moving without the ball, setting good screens, mostly just being in the right place at the right time. After the diving tackle on his knees, we were lost.

57 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

JG was lost on most possessions last night. 1 good play, 3 bad. Out of position on defense, sporadic, erratic at times. Just a terrible game for him despite the box score.

There was a 5 minute + stretch where he looked like he was unaware it was an organized game with refs and rules. Fouls, travels, lost on defense, turnovers, the goaltend that somehow wasn't called. For every plus there were 2-3 minuses. 

He looked like an athletic kid trying to figure out how to play basketball. His athleticism allows him to block shots, get tips and rebound, but he's just not a "basketball" player yet IMO. He's still learning, and that is hard to do in Big Ten play. 

With that said...Reneau was unable to be on the floor. He's trying to go too fast, needs to just slow down and let the game come to him. I wouldn't of minded a couple minutes of Banks here and there for JG, or even some Duncomb. But I'm just an old guy on the couch ha-ha.

50 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He really can't even do that. It isn't like we are recruiting at an elite level by any means. 

He's mostly gotten players that could be good pieces in the future.  2 5* this year, one isn't playing well, but we need to stack classes with 5* and none are in next year's class.  

Next class seems like players that could be good but may not contribute much as freshman.

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

How bad are CJ Gunn and Kaleb Banks in practice to not see the floor?

I don't think they're bad, I just don't think they were going to be part of the rotation in the conference. So I don't think the staff had the confidence to put them in during a road game. But with the injuries, I think you will see one or both of them Sunday. 

3 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Reneau has got to get it together.

As soon as he comes in all he is thinking about is getting a basket which usually leads to a turnover. He's just so lost right now

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't think they're bad, I just don't think they were going to be part of the rotation in the conference. So I don't think the staff had the confidence to put them in during a road game. But with the injuries, I think you will see one or both of them Sunday. 

We need to see them both. This ship is sinking fast wherer anyone wants to admit it or not. We look terrible and have looked terrible for weeks. 

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

We need to see them both. This ship is sinking fast wherer anyone wants to admit it or not. We look terrible and have looked terrible for weeks. 

I've been on the CJ Gunn bandwagon from the start of the season. If other freshmen from the state can play right away he can too. He is a scorer and we need that. 

21 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

JG was lost on most possessions last night. 1 good play, 3 bad. Out of position on defense, sporadic, erratic at times. Just a terrible game for him despite the box score.

That's disconcerting, I'll go back and watch the game on replay. We're going to need JG, I don't see anyone critiquing Malik's game which was, it seems, a lot worse (and I'm a Ren fan, he is going through frosh big development at the B1G level, he'll get there)

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I've been on the CJ Gunn bandwagon from the start of the season. If other freshmen from the state can play right away he can too. He is a scorer and we need that. 

Respectfully, that he's from the state doesn't matter at all. CJ has shown a lot of talent, but he's not playing against B1G level comp for a reason.

Just now, HoosierHoopster said:

Respectfully, that he's from the state doesn't matter at all. CJ has shown a lot of talent, but he's not playing against B1G level comp for a reason.

But if Smith and Loyer, plus the kid on Wisconsin are all playing minutes in the Big Ten, then Gunn can too

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

That's disconcerting, I'll go back and watch the game on replay. We're going to need JG, I don't see anyone critiquing Malik's game which was, it seems, a lot worse (and I'm a Ren fan, he is going through frosh big development at the B1G level, he'll get there)

There was no need to critic MRs play as he didn't play much and it was obvious why. The only player that looked more lost than JG. Not to mention MR is a freshman and JG is a junior.

Just now, Chris007 said:

But if Smith and Loyer, plus the kid on Wisconsin are all playing minutes in the Big Ten, then Gunn can too

Has to fit in defensively in Woodson's system. 

I have some issues with Woodson's decision-making, but I haven't seen play from Gunn to justify thinking he should be playing major minutes in B1G level play. We need guys who have the strength and demonstrated ability to play against the better college bigs.

On the plus side, Woodson has been talking about shaking up lineups, he's gotten Bates playing more with increased offensive production, and Kopp's game has grown better than I thought it would.

1 minute ago, reconmkd said:

There was no need to critic MRs play as he didn't play much and it was obvious why. The only player that looked more lost than JG. Not to mention MR is a freshman and JG is a junior.

You're really going out of your way here. Malik was, it appears, terrible in 6 minutes. Malik is going to be outstanding. It's interesting to me that someone can be so lost as you describe and have that strong of a box line.

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

You're really going out of your way here. Malik was, it appears, terrible in 6 minutes. Malik is going to be outstanding. It's interesting to me that someone can be so lost as you describe and have that strong of a box line.

Having watched the game I was absolutely shocked to see that box line. Shocked. Scroll out a little further on that line and you'll see a +/- of -18. In 18 minutes. That's right, -18 in 18 minutes.

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Its not just me describing the situation. MR will improve, he is a freshman, the talent is there. JG is a junior, he simply cannot make the mistakes that he was making last night as an upperclassman. I am not a doom and gloom person on the season yet, but there were multiple times JG should have been yanked last night. When he was finally pulled and Kopp shifted to the 4, things started improving (ever so slightly). Honestly, the biggest void last night was the loss of Race last night, as hard as I have been on him for a while, he was a huge part of our early game success last night.