Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

southernindianahoosier2

How far away is IUBB from being elite again?

15 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Issues with Woody running players through the wringer in practice, which is hurting the team? Heard that rumor today 

These players have it easy compared to the past. You have rules today where you're u can't practice more than 20 hours a week and have to have a day off. In RMK day he would have this team practicing tonight after they get back home. No wonder wer have trouble If the kids today are so soft and that they can't handle a hard practice 

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

What is our standard? Our baseline for acceptable performance in games, for seasons, and for multiyear periods? We don't act elite.

There are a lot of key indicators that says we're not going to get back to elite status anytime soon. We're 3-5 years of consistent upper half of the Big 1.o finishes and some type of "runs" in the tourney before we should be having this conversation.

As often as Rutgers etc happens with no changes? Pretty low, as in an ant couldn't limbo under that bar.

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Issues with Woody running players through the wringer in practice, which is hurting the team? Heard that rumor today 

With performances like this and Rutgers, they'd better run until they puke then keep running. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It wasn't phone calls that Sampson shouldn't be our coach but the type of kids he brought in

Talented ones?

IU could’ve worked with Sampson to bring in talented but not so disturbed ones. Real blue blood programs would’ve done exactly that. But, it’s Indiana! We win the morality Olympics every season. What could’ve been. On a day we get ran out of Allen Fieldhouse, he goes on the road with his #5 Houston team and knocks off #2. What could’ve been.. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What could’ve been. On a day we get ran out of Allen Fieldhouse, he goes on the road with his #5 Houston team and knocks off #2. What could’ve been.. 

What could’ve been? We’ll never truly know. Though I suspect a couple national titles and several Final Fours…no reason to think otherwise.

He also had really high character kids coming in. Matt Roth, Elston, Pritchard and Devin Ebanks.

How far is IU men’s basketball away from elite???  About the same distance as Penn State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Minnesota, College of Charleston, Iowa, Creighton, Texas Tech, Mississippi Valley State, Kansas State, Utah State and several others.  
The headline question was how far away is IU men’s basketball from being elite?  Wasn’t that the question.  IU men’s basketball is definitely at least a top 20 to 50 men’s basketball program, I am sure of that.

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The college game IS different than the NBA game. Woody is a likeable coach. A good enough NBA coach. A players coach.  Can Woody be an Elite college coach?  

my answer is maybe but it’s going to take immense talent and the right talent.  He isn’t Painter, Bennett, etc.   He isn’t an elite level college coach.  He can be a talent accumulator. 

Right now we have enough “talent” to be better. Our guys play down instead of playing up.  We don’t play or defend as a team.  The ball doesn’t move enough, soundly enough.  These things won’t change.  I don’t even know what to root for anymore besides LUCK and recruiting battles.  Watching other teams with equal or lesser talent playing better than us game in and game out is infuriating. 

Next year predicts to be much worse. Woody better have a rabbit in his hat. 

This brings up a good point. How often do we beat teams with more talent? Maybe UNC had a bit more talent than us? Maybe. We often end up getting beat by lower talent that has a system in place and/or players who hate to lose. I'm still laughing Rutger dude talks **** and we lay a turd.

I asked before but who on this team are you taking into a fight to have your back? We have talent but lack some of those types you need to win big. Our most talented players aren't leaders. (There's more to this but people would lose their **** here if it were posted) That leads to what we've seen over the past 4+ years even with a much more talented roster this season.

4 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Yogi??

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Franklin. No thanks to our coach at the time. 

Nothing seems off about that?! I'm not asking for an Oladipo type jump every season, that's implausible. Why can't we see a player or two adding or improving a skill to their game over the off-season? That doesn't seem like much to ask. Bates might be shooting a better % but there's not much there. Who is responsible for skill development? What player is putting in the work to get that much better? (this doesn't include talking about getting better but actually getting better)

3 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

TJD is maybe the third option on elite teams I’ve seen at IU. He might have been coming off the bench in the early 90s. When we see that level of talent consistently then maybe. 

TJD is playing pro ball right now if he went to an elite program. In the right environment, he would have been forced to develop more and could do more if not required to be the best player and leader.

59 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

TJD is playing pro ball right now if he went to an elite program. In the right environment, he would have been forced to develop more and could do more if not required to be the best player and leader.

He wouldn't either because he can't shoot putsidenof 3 feet. He had the big numbers but he isn't close to he ad good as a Allan Henderson. Henderson could hit the 3 and was deadly from 15 feet.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

Also need players that hate losing; hate losing more than they like winning.  Players that get punched and fight back.  We have a bunch of players that get punched and fight to be the first on the plane home.

Set the Waybac Machine to 1976 and 1977.  That team had players on it that refused to lose.

Welp, we have our Coaches daughter publicly spatting with an alumnus on social media. So, there’s that. We can’t have nice things.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Where is that going on at?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Welp, we have our Coaches daughter publicly spatting with an alumnus on social media. So, there’s that. We can’t have nice things.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Ok I found it. But where does everyone know Woodson takes naps everyday?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I don’t mean to pour cold water on this discussion, but even after getting thumped today, IU is 17th in Kenpom, which is the 2nd highest B1G team.

Assuming health, they may not play worse in a 15 day stretch all year.

I’m not making the claim the program is currently elite. But I think the margin between “good but frustrating” and “elite” is pretty thin. Ask UNC. IU has spent too much time toeing the line for most of 3 decades.

It really can come down to small differences. E.g. if IU played well and won today, people would be saying stuff like “with JHS, IU is a sleeper title contender” or whatever.

And what if they feel off a few in a row and host PU at 18-3 (9-1) on 2/4?