Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

southernindianahoosier2

How far away is IUBB from being elite again?

Probably not as far as we think. Sampson had us as title contenders in year 2 before everything went south and quite frankly probably would’ve had a title or two if we stuck to our guns like every other school did with infractions far worse. Then again he was hired 4 years after we made our last final four. It’s been 21 years now so it may be too late. I hope not. Hopefully we learn from this game and tear off a nice winning streak. 

Miles away imo. Team is still dealing with roster balance issues since the Sampson dismissal. This was supposed to be the most complete IU team since the Crean B1G championship seasons and even Crean had years with severely unbalanced rosters. Fixable but next year looks to be a major return to that. Woodson has the luxury of the portal but that’s been hit or miss as seen by Durr and X

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

Probably not as far as we think. Sampson had us as title contenders in year 2 before everything went south and quite frankly probably would’ve had a title or two if we stuck to our guns like every other school did with infractions far worse. Then again he was hired 4 years after we made our last final four. It’s been 21 years now so it may be too late. I hope not. Hopefully we learn from this game and tear off a nice winning streak. 

We've said and thought the bolded A LOT over the years and it never happens.

We aren't that far away it's just constantly making the wrong decisions on and off the court. On the court you all have eyes so you know what I'm talking about. Off the court we make bad coaching hires and recruit talent that we either miss on or cannot develop. We still land top end talent, have tremendous resources and an insane fan base. Those other things need fixed like 20 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

What is our standard? Our baseline for acceptable performance in games, for seasons, and for multiyear periods? We don't act elite.

There are a lot of key indicators that says we're not going to get back to elite status anytime soon. We're 3-5 years of consistent upper half of the Big 1.o finishes and some type of "runs" in the tourney before we should be having this conversation.

3 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

We aren't that far away it's just constantly making the wrong decisions on and off the court. On the court you all have eyes so you know what I'm talking about. Off the court we make bad coaching hires and recruit talent that we either miss on or cannot develop. We still land top end talent, have tremendous resources and an insane fan base. Those other things need fixed like 20 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last player to make a significant jump in skill development one year to the next, go!

The team right now has three 5 stars, a preseason All American/potential National Player of the Year, an experienced PG, loads of experience at most positions, and athleticism that's been lacking in recent years.

Talent wise, we're not that far off IMO. 

If the coaching staff can't put these ingredients together to make a run then I don't think they ever will.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We're an administration willing to join the game and do what it takes to be elite away from being elite again. That goes for both recruiting and coaching. 

Seems like there’s a huge disconnect from the fan base and the administration. Mainly glass for so many years… seems like Dolson has fixed some issues (scheduling)… but student section placement, uniforms, practice facility, and others seem to still be there. 

I know he just chocked his fiancé, but Chris beard had a students only game at the Texas volleyball arena last year, has fireside chats, good uniforms, new arena, built an amazing practice facility while at tech…. Why is it so hard for IU to even keep up? 

I’ve never seen a team miss this many open looks… don’t think it’s a Woodson issue yet… but could be searching in his 4th year if this continues 

The college game IS different than the NBA game. Woody is a likeable coach. A good enough NBA coach. A players coach.  Can Woody be an Elite college coach?  

my answer is maybe but it’s going to take immense talent and the right talent.  He isn’t Painter, Bennett, etc.   He isn’t an elite level college coach.  He can be a talent accumulator. 

Right now we have enough “talent” to be better. Our guys play down instead of playing up.  We don’t play or defend as a team.  The ball doesn’t move enough, soundly enough.  These things won’t change.  I don’t even know what to root for anymore besides LUCK and recruiting battles.  Watching other teams with equal or lesser talent playing better than us game in and game out is infuriating. 

Next year predicts to be much worse. Woody better have a rabbit in his hat. 

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The college game IS different than the NBA game. Woody is a likeable coach. A good enough NBA coach. A players coach.  Can Woody be an Elite college coach?  

my answer is maybe but it’s going to take immense talent and the right talent.  He isn’t Painter, Bennett, etc.   He isn’t an elite level college coach.  He can be a talent accumulator. 

Right now we have enough “talent” to be better. Our guys play down instead of playing up.  We don’t play or defend as a team.  The ball doesn’t move enough, soundly enough.  These things won’t change.  I don’t even know what to root for anymore besides LUCK and recruiting battles.  Watching other teams with equal or lesser talent playing better than us game in and game out is infuriating. 

Next year predicts to be much worse. Woody better have a rabbit in his hat. 

I'm afraid you are correct. Our recruiting will fall off as the results are coming. In game changes and adjustments are few and far between.  At this point we should know that we will be double and triple teamed inside but very seldom can we make the adjustments needed. Surely we practice this? We have several very likable guys on our roster but no dogs/ hate to lose winners. No big game players and we sadly need at least one. X is the closest thing we have but his decision making is terrible at times.  TJD doesn't rise to the occasion often, maybe we need him mad and playing with and edge but like many have said it's just not in him. Maybe JHS will rise to the challenge as he is early in his freshman year. Development hasn't happened as fast as it needs to on several players but Bates is showing some promising moments. 

42 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

It wasn't phone calls that Sampson shouldn't be our coach but the type of kids he brought in

Most probably thought at this point of the season we would be 9-2 so we might be a little behind but not much.  I don't like how we played against Rutgers and KU but it is not the end of the world.

As for being elite we need to get better on the wing. We need more athletic guys around 6'6 or 6'7 to play on the wing. To me you don't need to have your best Ayers being interior players. You need your big guys to do the dirty work and do all the small things that leads to winning. 

We also need to recruit guys that aus with an attitude and have a little nasty streak in them.

Issues with Woody running players through the wringer in practice, which is hurting the team? Heard that rumor today 
Lol gosh they are so soft if thatsvthe case. Your supposed to get ran through the wringer with games like rutgers AZ and today. They want to get beat on the boards and turn the ball over 70 times and get a pat on the back.?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk