Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

What?  Gallo needs to be starting at PG.  We need shooters.  Then we need more shooters.

I tend to agree. BUT Gallo from 3 and free throw almost makes him unplayable. It’s weird and a shame. Imo, he’s a very strong PG.
But any guard shooting 50-60%FTs has gotta be fixed.

Imo we need 2 combo guards capable of starting, both able to shoot.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

22 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Gallo should not be our pg.

He should be the sixth man that still plays 25-30 mpg at positions 1-3 and is on the court at the end of the game.

Ive always thought Gallo was a 6th man-esque player. He would be damn good in the role too.

25 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

He should be the sixth man that still plays 25-30 mpg at positions 1-3 and is on the court at the end of the game.

I disagree about the end of game if we have the lead, he should not be in, unless his free throw shooting gets much better 

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Agree.

And his shooting percentage was a function of his having to handle the ball so much as well as having to guard the opposing team’s best player.

Take some of that load off his shoulders and I bet his shooting numbers get closer to what 2 years ago was 

On 3/28/2024 at 3:52 PM, JF87 said:

Highlights of new commit Bryson Tucker via Inside the Hall.  He can definitely play the two guard.  He's probably a natural three.  Tucker seems to be a better ball handler and more fluid player than MgBako.  

Video: Class of 2024 five-star Bryson Tucker senior season highlights - Inside the Hall | Indiana Hoosiers Basketball News, Recruiting and Analysis

Who is the last player we’ve had that is this good of an isolation player? 

The guy that covers IU for the FW Jounal-Gazette mentioned that we recently hosted a 6’8” wing from France, Diamant Brazil. The article said that he is a “ high level athlete and late riser in the class.”

Anyone know anything about him or the visit?

1 minute ago, steubenhoosier said:

The guy that covers IU for the FW Jounal-Gazette mentioned that we recently hosted a 6’8” wing from France, Diamant Brazil. The article said that he is a “ high level athlete and late riser in the class.”

Anyone know anything about him or the visit?

We have a thread started.

Boom.

Finally someone said it outloud.

The administration doesn’t deserve anything. They have knowingly ruined any chance we’ve had for 30 years. It’s been glaringly obvious to many fans paying attention. Get the hell out of the way and let someone who knows what they are doing take control.

95% of my frustrations for years has been against the administration. Yet the coaches get the heat. I mean, they’ve mostly sucked too, but they’ve been hamstrung from the beginning.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

We’ve had this conversation several times but it still amazes me people ignore or are clueless to the dysfunction of the administration. It’s not limited to the athletic department only. You could use IU as a case study in how to ruin a good thing. Integrity would be a major component of what is lacking.

8 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

We’ve had this conversation several times but it still amazes me people ignore or are clueless to the dysfunction of the administration. It’s not limited to the athletic department only. You could use IU as a case study in how to ruin a good thing. Integrity would be a major component of what is lacking.

Did Robert Montgomery Knight hold the institution together for all those years? He seems like the anti-IU and since he has been gone nothing but dysfunctional has been thrown around about the IU administration.

12 hours ago, Demo said:

See, this is why parents can never give up social media. What parent wouldn’t love telling the entire world that they call their kid Liky? And Happy Birthday to the young man.

That's the bball academic advisor I believe. And yes, Malik Reneau is an extremely "liky-able" young guy.

11 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

Did Robert Montgomery Knight hold the institution together for all those years? He seems like the anti-IU and since he has been gone nothing but dysfunctional has been thrown around about the IU administration.

It appears so.  Back then the administration pretty much stayed out of his way, now they are just being Batina Buttends!

3 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

If I had to guess... RMK was such a tour de force in personality by the 90s that he subsumed almost complete control of the basketball program. IU probably had very little capable talent in the AD anyways at that time. So when he was abruptly canned there was very little institutional knowledge left in the basketball dept. The administrations desire to distance itself from all things Knight probably further exacerbated the problem.  

Now we seem to be in the opposite tailspin having reconciled with Knight: a couple of his long time guys are given preference despite not having accomplished anything at IU in 40 years. 

I made a post about it in another thread a while ago, but I think the whole thing should just be torn down to the studs. Fire everyone,  hire the best AD in the country,  and give him complete and total control to rebuild. 

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That's the bball academic advisor I believe. And yes, Malik Reneau is an extremely "liky-able" young guy.

Seriously? I just looked at her thought, “Wow, kid looks just like his Mom.”  Ok, that’s funny.

15 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Like pretty much every major university, IU is an imperfect place with some real successes.

One arbiter of overall university success? U.S. News & World Report's college rankings are considered the standard. 

• US News has been publishing Top 50 US university rankings since 1983; that has not been IU.
  • More recently, they started to publish expansive rankings of all 439 national universities.. From 2015-2022 IU has had an average US News ranking of 79.87.
  • But for the past few years that ranking has been improving - the last three years it has been 76, 68, 73. For context? Michigan is the top B1G school at #21, Purdud is at #43, and Nebraska is the lowest B1G ranked university at #159.
  • Where IU gets dinged is overall acceptance rate (pretty darn high number) and  non-Kelley SAT/GPA (though Kelley is approx 1/4 of undergrad population).
  • Both the Kelley School and Jacobs School have separate admission standards and are both top ten nationally in undergrad business and music, respectively. They compare to, and compete for students with some Ivy league schools (Kelley - last year tied with Cornell at #8) and top music conservatories (Jacobs). Other academic programs can be solid at a minimum or really good.
  • Facilities, especially housing, were deteriorating, but there seems to be some real progress to undo problems. @Chris007 could probably speak to that facet.

24 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Like pretty much every major university, IU is an imperfect place with some real successes.

One arbiter of overall university success? U.S. News & World Report's college rankings are considered the standard. 

• They have been publishing Top 50 US university rankings since 1983; that has not been IU.
  • More recently, they started to publish expansive rankings of all 439 national universities.. From 2015-2022 IU has had an average US News ranking of 79.87.
  • But for the past few years that ranking has been improving - the last three years it has been 76, 68, 73.
  • Where IU gets dinged is overall acceptance rate (pretty darn high number) and  non-Kelley SAT/GPA (though Kelley is approx 1/4 of undergrad population).
  • Both the Kelley School and Jacobs School have separate admission standards and are both top ten nationally in undergrad business and music, respectively. They compare to, and compete for students with some Ivy league schools (Kelley - last year tied with Cornell at #8) and top music conservatories (Jacobs). Other academic programs can be solid at a minimum or better.
  • Facilities, especially housing, were deteriorating, but there seems to be some real progress to undo problems. @Chris007 could probably speak to that facet.

Yes housing has gotten much better in the last 5 years. We now have at least two premium buildings in every neighborhood. All buildings will be renovated once we finish Wright Quad next year. We are slowly going to just freshmen living on campus. We don't have much left over for returning students after housing 13K freshmen but we have a few buildings for that. 

My son will be in the Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering. Everything we've been to over there so far has been first-class. They don't accept everyone in that school and it competes with everyone. 

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has about anything on campus. I don't know it all but I usually know someone who can help. Feel free to send me a DM