Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

42 minutes ago, raorIU said:

If I had to guess, I say Woody's lineup later in the season is more contingent on the games in Nov/early-Dec than it will be on development through the season. He'll start with a single big, and do the NBA-style platoon substitutions he's done in previous early games. If that goes well, then great, he'll stick with it later in the year. If not, it'll probably be back to two bigs and everything goes through the middle.

I think the probability of him not starting 2 bigs at the beginning of the season is so small that it's practically 0.

23 hours ago, Stuhoo said:
  • We will very rarely finish games with that oversized lineup
  • Gabe Cupps will be the backup point to start the season, but that Jakai will cut into his minutes, sending Kanaan and Trey to the point now and then

I think I would bet against that first point.  First,  coaches tend to gravitate to what they're comfortable with when things get tight. And secondly, Ballo will be one of our best defenders/rebounders and Reneau could easily be our most reliable scorer. It'll be hard for Woody to keep them on the bench at the end of games.  If he staggers to go small (and I think he has to) I'm betting it's mostly mins 5 thru 35 of games. 

On the last point, I'm curious as to what happens with Galloway. Everything points to him being a super-sub, Lazikowski "6th starter", 25mpg guy who plays backup pg and the primary backup to the other 2 perimeters. That would still represent about a 9min reduction in minutes for your team captain.  The problem there is all of those guys you listed are being paid for and likely expecting some of those mins.  Also,  historically Woody has liked to use a broader platoon sub pattern shifting guys in and out position for position. 

I say I'm interested in it because a lot of these issues are solvable in theory but represent a departure from Woodys usual approach.  You're either going to have a team full of talented players taking on some drastically different roles or a 65ish yr old coach reinventing his approach on the fly. 

10 hours ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Both of our bigs are foul prone, itll work itself out, woody rarely plays people with 2 fouls in the first half as well

But Ballo never fouled out of a game last season so let's not yank him out with 2 fouls in the first half just because. 

15 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

But Ballo never fouled out of a game last season so let's not yank him out with 2 fouls in the first half just because. 

Good point. The standard pull the player decision the second he picks up 2 fouls in the 1st half is short-sighted, need to consider the player individually, not just blindly follow the standard yank decision. (Or at least be ready to put the player back in, in the 1st half, after talking to hm about avoiding more fouls.)

2 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Good point. The standard pull the player decision the second he picks up 2 fouls in the 1st half is short-sighted, need to consider the player individually, not just blindly follow the standard yank decision. (Or at least be ready to put the player back in, in the 1st half, after talking to hm about avoiding more fouls.)

I am surprised that Woodson pulls his players after two fouls because his college coach never did that.

2 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

112 days until the first game of the year.

Yessir!  Ready to get to the fall and football.  Closer to basketball.  Have to find new habits this year.  The days of getting trashed and staying up to listen to Walton are sadly over.  Excited to see what our guards can do.  Hopeful we can just be a better shooting team and be better with the ball for a change.  Been a rough few years in those regards. 

2 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Yessir!  Ready to get to the fall and football.  Closer to basketball.  Have to find new habits this year.  The days of getting trashed and staying up to listen to Walton are sadly over.  Excited to see what our guards can do.  Hopeful we can just be a better shooting team and be better with the ball for a change.  Been a rough few years in those regards. 

I could go for fall weather ASAP, these heat waves are killing me over here. Don't think I've ever been so excited for IUFB. 

Regardless of how people felt about Walton's commentary style, he was a literal and figurative giant of the sport. Will be sorely missed during those late night Pac 12 games... which I suppose will now be late night B10 games. Truly the end of an era. 

I'm hoping, and cautiously optimistic, that this new era for the B10 will feature our best/most consistent guard play since the Yogi years. Seems to be the plan based on roster construction. Eager to see it on the court. 

2 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Yeah but how many minutes?

Too lazy for that amount of math, but the countdown on the team site + my calculator app tell me, at the time of writing this post...

We have almost exactly 2,673 hours.

Spend em wisely ya'll.

Go Hoosiers!

19 hours ago, Chris007 said:

After 3 years of Edey being allowed tp commit assault and battery on both ends of the floor with hardly a call, Ballo should never be in danger of fouling out. 

The BIG being the BIG, I fully expect this will be the year they rediscover the whistle though.

https://x.com/ClifMarshall/status/1815802285777457237

Love Al. Always rep’d the school very well. Hope he gets a little work in with our army of Georgia guards given that probably knows all of them. Looks like the hairline might be starting to betray him a little bit.

https://x.com/millerkopp/status/1815825710063464880

2 things: 1) Very cool of Miller putting this out. Dude is just a top shelf member of the IUBB family. 2) They better have a plan in place to keep Isaac Green. That kid’s a star. Will be in no way shocking if he’s the IU HC one day.