Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

6 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It’s all how you sell it. Tell yourself you can’t and you won’t. Purdue for example has 2 seven footers and Kaufman might be their starting 5. I’ve used the example of Bidunga at Kansas before but he’ll be lucky to get 10 minutes.

You sell a developmental spot AT Indiana with NIL, some of the best training, facilities in the nation and get a young talented kid as a backup option. It’s not a 4 year deal. If they bolt bolt the following year, who cares.

Lots of kids would say yes to that if framed correctly. At this point? Idk. But in the transfer portal or freshman class for sure.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I think the extra point is the NIL amount. IU is spending heavy and already has to land the highest rated big in the portal plus a haul of stong players. The guy you’re selling to you’re actually buying, and the price has to be right. How much more is the program spending and what is reasonable to spend on a guy who won’t play much at all barring injury and then will bolt, and how much are other programs offering? 
program has deep pockets/ donors but they’re not bottomless and need to balance the spending with wants and needs for next season

2 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Kansas has Hunter, Bidunga and a bunch of guards and wings. Bidunga will get a lot more minutes than we have to offer (albeit not the amount of minutes 5* normally get),

I agree that we have a TON to sell but not sure it outweighs “enjoy the bench”. We will see. A serviceable big man would be great to get but I don’t see it.

Different situation.

Bidunga is the clear second string big at KU.

Hatton is the third string 5 at IU. Any addition would be the fourth string.

Hot take-- I think Flory is Hanner Perea made over. Maybe a little more advanced because he actually played real HS ball and not AAU/whatever BS LaLu is....  

Kid is not as good of an athlete as HP, better motor... but absolutely no left hand/ right shoulder moves... 

He doesn't shoot jump shots.. 

Absolutely no guard skills and he's 6'8/6'9. 

Cliff Emoryi, Bismack Biyumbo, etc. 

Just my thoughts

1 hour ago, Certified Sunshine Pumper said:

Hot take-- I think Flory is Hanner Perea made over. Maybe a little more advanced because he actually played real HS ball and not AAU/whatever BS LaLu is....  

Kid is not as good of an athlete as HP, better motor... but absolutely no left hand/ right shoulder moves... 

Just my thoughts

I agree, I saw him in person at the state finals his junior year and didn't think he was a top 20 player

1 hour ago, Certified Sunshine Pumper said:

Just my thoughts

This doesn't feel that hot take-y to me at all. I think he's better than Hanner because he's better laterally, he's got pretty good defensive instincts, he's got good enough hands and he really competes. Think his defense will play all day. But I don't see him becoming any more than a rim runner/finisher on offense. Hadn't thought of Biyombo, but that's about right. And, hey, that guy's hung around the League forever and made a bunch of money. If Bidunga does that, that's a freaking win.

16 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Different situation.

Bidunga is the clear second string big at KU.

Hatton is the third string 5 at IU. Any addition would be the fourth string.

Yes

that was my point.

4 hours ago, Demo said:

This doesn't feel that hot take-y to me at all. I think he's better than Hanner because he's better laterally, he's got pretty good defensive instincts, he's got good enough hands and he really competes. Think his defense will play all day. But I don't see him becoming any more than a rim runner/finisher on offense. Hadn't thought of Biyombo, but that's about right. And, hey, that guy's hung around the League forever and made a bunch of money. If Bidunga does that, that's a freaking win.

Go to an IN HS forum.. it'd be crazy hot takey. Believe me, I got DMs about that opinion lol

On 6/16/2024 at 11:59 AM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It’s all how you sell it. Tell yourself you can’t and you won’t. Purdue for example has 2 seven footers and Kaufman might be their starting 5. I’ve used the example of Bidunga at Kansas before but he’ll be lucky to get 10 minutes.

You sell a developmental spot AT Indiana with NIL, some of the best training, facilities in the nation and get a young talented kid as a backup option. It’s not a 4 year deal. If they bolt bolt the following year, who cares.

Lots of kids would say yes to that if framed correctly. At this point? Idk. But in the transfer portal or freshman class for sure.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Yep. To this point... https://x.com/theolawson_sr/status/1802712798763348104?s=46&t=xEUmr_7uuY2KI9DKH3UukA

"Real Madrid’s Ismaila Diagne announces on Instagram he’s signed with #Gonzaga. Bulldogs fill their final scholarship with a 7-foot center who’s coming off an Adidas Next Generation championship and Liga Endesa title." 

Only 17, definitely a longer-term project.... But goes to show you can convince talented guys to take one of the last scholarships on a roster. I'd feel better having a kid like this, or really any big guy at this point, fill our 13th spot. It may be tough to fill it in the position we are in... but it can be done. And Real Madrid is not exactly chopped liver. However you slice it we are an injury in the front court away from having a serious problem, just like this past year's backcourt. Things could work out fine rolling with 12, but it's absolutely a risk. 

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

24-25 season

Interesting that we have a couple guys who will wear numbers not ending in 0-5. 

That rule was lifted last year, but nobody wore such numbers -- made me wonder if IU was sticking with the tradition of no jerseys with 6, 7, 8 or 9 in them -- kinda like with the no names on the backs. 

16 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

That rule was lifted last year, but nobody wore such numbers -- made me wonder if IU was sticking with the tradition of no jerseys with 6, 7, 8 or 9 in them -- kinda like with the no names on the backs. 

Am I the only 1 who finds it hilarious that the legendary IU PG number 11 has now been worn with pride by Isiah Thomas, Yogi Ferrell and …..Oumar Ballo? Woody apparently planning to go REALLY big this year.

34 minutes ago, Demo said:

Am I the only 1 who finds it hilarious that the legendary IU PG number 11 has now been worn with pride by Isiah Thomas, Yogi Ferrell and …..Oumar Ballo? Woody apparently planning to go REALLY big this year.

If one were to glue Isiah and Yogi together they'd be much smaller than one Oumar Ballo.

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Not a fan of those numbers. It seemed like it was until the late 80's that I remember an IU player wearing single digit numbers.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Don't forget about DD and Fife

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Yet some how CJ Gunn had it last year.

15 hours ago, Certified Sunshine Pumper said:

Just my thoughts

He has very broad shoulders and a frame that could easily support playing at 240+ lbs. He’s a lot stronger and a lot more coordinated than Hanner at his current age. His ceiling is Bam Adebayo who possessed very little basketball skills prior to entering the NBA draft.

11 hours ago, AH1971 said:

He has very broad shoulders and a frame that could easily support playing at 240+ lbs. He’s a lot stronger and a lot more coordinated than Hanner at his current age. His ceiling is Bam Adebayo who possessed very little basketball skills prior to entering the NBA draft.

So we've found two guys that have his framework, his abilities, whatever that are a close comp to what he can/could be... 

I think he's a long shot and is at best an Oscar Tshiebwe. 

Not convinced he's as athletic than Hanner or Bam. We'll see.