Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Would rather he is ready for the start of the season.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

This may be parsing words too closely, but “We’re hoping and thinking he’s going to (be) back once the season starts” isn’t the most encouraging pronouncement I’ve ever heard. 

12 hours ago, Demo said:

This may be parsing words too closely, but “We’re hoping and thinking he’s going to (be) back once the season starts” isn’t the most encouraging pronouncement I’ve ever heard. 

Maybe hedging his bets after last season and expecting Jakai to be ready and leaving a scholly on the table.

Not really IU news per se -- but figured this was as good a place as any to post ... 

Dan Fife, a legendary high school coach in Michigan -- and Dane's father -- died Thursday.  

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/high-school/2024/05/31/dan-fife-hall-of-fame-clarkston-boys-basketball-coach-dies-at-74/73919069007/

1 hour ago, Napleshoosier said:

It speaks well of Woody for the players to back him so much…. In the day Of the portal if they’re not happy it’s goodbye.  And I’m not a WOODY SUNSHINE guy!

I have found it interesting that multiple former players have said numerous positive things about Crean and Woody but I don’t recall a single player (at senior night, in interviews, in social media) saying a single positive thing about Archie. Just a really weird 4 years.

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

I have found it interesting that multiple former players have said numerous positive things about Crean and Woody but I don’t recall a single player (at senior night, in interviews, in social media) saying a single positive thing about Archie. Just a really weird 4 years.

He was like a walking Debbie Downer, weird years for sure

That was one of my earliest signs things weren’t good. The Senior nights were so awkward and told lots of silent truths.

I think 2 years was enough but that was never going to be acceptable.

I really hope we have some ideas for our Woody replacement in 1-3 years. This past years coaching search didn’t boost confidence in our options.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That was one of my earliest signs things weren’t good. The Senior nights were so awkward and told lots of silent truths.

I really hope we have some ideas for our Woody replacement in 1-3 years. This past years coaching search didn’t boost confidence in our options.

The Kentucky search did a really good job of grounding me, as far as the expectations we should have. The sport has changed a ton. If Kentucky couldn’t land anyone bigger than Mark Pope, we should probably temper expectations when the time comes. 

The Kentucky search did a really good job of grounding me, as far as the expectations we should have. The sport has changed a ton. If Kentucky couldn’t land anyone bigger than Mark Pope, we should probably temper expectations when the time comes. 

Sadly feel the same. Also sadly hanging on to hope Brad Stevens wants the gig in the next couple years. Lol.

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Sadly feel the same. Also sadly hanging on to hope Brad Stevens wants the gig in the next couple years. Lol.

I’ll “poke the bear”-your words, not mine, while you hold on to some cockamamie delusions that a guy who emphatically turned IU down several years ago will suddenly have a come to Jesus moment and head to Bloomington.

Or maybe the Stevens idea is a “ giant waste of time” as you say. 

57 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Yep,

Some of the early “wish list” names included Hurley, Billy Donavon (of course…LOL), Drew, maybe getting Jay Wright out of retirement, etc etc but they landed Pope. Who knows, it’s always a crapshoot and Pope might work out but they certainly didn’t land the earth shattering name that some thought the UK brand would draw.

52 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

I’ll “poke the bear”-your words, not mine, while you hold on to some cockamamie delusions that a guy who emphatically turned IU down several years ago will suddenly have a come to Jesus moment and head to Bloomington.

Actually there have been some interesting flight schedules recently. A man resembling Stevens reportedly was seen hastily boarding in Indy, carrying a Mother Bears pizza box…. Oh ye of little faith

13 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I have been saying for years anyone expecting us to get a huge name is very naive. Just look who UK, UM and OSU hired this year as well as teams like Villanova, Syracuse, UNC and Duke the last few years.

17 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

You’re special.  I LOL’d at my own post to demonstrate that I realize it’s an unrealistic hope.  I waste no time on the “delusion”. You are just too dense to figure it all out. 

4 hours ago, Scotty R said:

I have been saying for years anyone expecting us to get a huge name is very naive. Just look who UK, UM and OSU hired this year as well as teams like Villanova, Syracuse, UNC and Duke the last few years.

Yea, I was expecting at least Kentucky to lure and bigger fish. And maybe Louisville. 

Here’s the thing though.  Big fish in the past had the connection to wrangle money and deals behind the scenes. Now that isn’t necessary.  Just get a good basketball coach and spend the money in NIL/Etc. I think schools also realize this.