Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife leaves IU staff

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Just a sec.....you want to move him to Thad Matta's job if Woodson feels like he doesn't fit?  I can't think of a worse idea.

In terms of a distraction to the program.....no.  Literally the biggest news today was Lander in the portal, and we all knew that was coming.  

Well from all accounts he wasn't listening to Matta either.  Matta's behind the scences and does anyone even know what effect he has on the program?  Not that I know of.  

And as you said, since we all knew it was comming, Lander is not news, nor is it a distraction.  

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

But it's irrelevant to what Fife did.  That wasn't his call.

I will say this. Dumb rule to implement but it’s his staffs responsibility to uphold it. However, as a recruiter, I would never want my boss tying one arm behind my back, then later having people say I didn’t produce

I’m not much in to wasting time on conspiracies,  especially when it involves a certain someone with a radio that is and is not well liked. But to add to my punishment at the end of the regular season, I listened to a couple of episodes on YouTube for background noise while working. I. Those couple episodes, DD was trashing coach ya and Hunter, basically calling yes men, didn’t no their butts from a hole in the ground, and even Woody needed to listen to his AC more often. I know DD constantly says he keeps in touch with Dane, but maybe what happened today has been known for some time. 

Just now, Golfman25 said:

I don't care what Fife did.  He's gone.  I care what Woody does.  And this "rule" is a red flag for me.  

It won’t last.  It was just a way to make an IU offer mean something again to in-state kids.    In theory it sounds great but once you see it play out in real time and the problems it’s caused I’m guessing it won’t be an issue next cycle 

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

I don't care what Fife did.  He's gone.  I care what Woody does.  And this "rule" is a red flag for me.  

Why would you want to offer someone before you know if they fit your team.  Getting them on campus let's you get to know the player better than just over the phone or through text.

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Well from all accounts he wasn't listening to Matta either.  Matta's behind the scences and does anyone even know what effect he has on the program?  Not that I know of.  

And as you said, since we all knew it was comming, Lander is not news, nor is it a distraction.  

A few weeks back, Mark Titus was talking about Matta. Someone asked Mark what Matta did at IU and he said "Uhh, I don't even think Thad knows what his job is." Coming from someone really close to Thad, I feel like that shows Woody isn't really using him.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Why would you want to offer someone before you know if they fit your team.  Getting them on campus let's you get to know the player better than just over the phone or through text.

What’s the difference between sitting in the players living room with their family and sitting in your office on campus with their family. If it makes sense to offer you offer

Just now, IGotMeAWoody said:

A few weeks back, Mark Titus was talking about Matta. Someone asked Mark what Matta did at IU and he said "Uhh, I don't even think Thad knows what his job is." Coming from someone really close to Thad, I feel like that shows Woody isn't really using him.

I thought Matta works for Dolson and wanted to learn the administrative part of the athletic department

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

It won’t last.  It was just a way to make an IU offer mean something again to in-state kids.    In theory it sounds great but once you see it play out in real time and the problems it’s caused I’m guessing it won’t be an issue next cycle 

It seemed to only cause a problem because Fife broke the rule, not because the rule was bad.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I thought Matta works for Dolson and wanted to learn the administrative part of the athletic department

I'd guess the org tree would place Thad under Dolson, but I was under the impression that he'd have some type of close day-to-day role with the team. I think Mark said on a different episode that Thad was definitely interested in being an AD down the road. It's a matter of time till the right position opens and he leaves. My wild guess is Butler

We hopefully all agree, Indiana needs to get better, and get better quickly.

I rooted for the Fife hiring, mostly because we “stole” him from MSU, and a little from the feel good of him coming home.

We need better players, better chemistry, and better off-season development. This change provides an opportunity to improve our situation. We could screw the pooch again, because that’s what Indiana does, but at least we are trying to get better.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

15 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Wanna know how to make IU offers mean something?  Win baby win.  

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No it doesn't.  They determine fit by their skill set.  Do due dilligence on their work ethic and attitude.  You can meet players all over, not just on campus.  The campus visit sells the school to the player -- look at our facilities, look at the girls, etc.  As I have said, sure set up a preference for a campus visit, but not a requirement.  

3 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

That's the part that scares me about this move.  Kid had a decade or more under Izzo and with a successful program and suddenly he's "not a fit."  If that means he had different opinions and wasn't afraid to express them, we may be in a little bit of trouble.  

I hope he gets a head coaching job somewhere.  Good luck to him.  

This is what it seems to me.  I have been a CMW supporter but something isn’t adding up here.  There is evidence of CMW’s stubbornness and I heard Fife bumped heads with him but it was primarily because of CMW’s willingness to keep starting and playing Kopp and Stewart.  I heard Fife kept telling him to start Phinesee and Galloway because they were better defensively than Kopp and Stewart since they haven’t been giving us anything offensively.

I think this looks bad because he is an IU man and he was told he would be the successor once CMW would step down.  Not good IMO.

Also, some say he hasn’t done well in recruiting but didn’t he recruit Cupps?  I believe he just won’t Ohio Mr. Basketball.  

10 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

This is what it seems to me.  I have been a CMW supporter but something isn’t adding up here.  There is evidence of CMW’s stubbornness and I heard Fife bumped heads with him but it was primarily because of CMW’s willingness to keep starting and playing Kopp and Stewart.  I heard Fife kept telling him to start Phinesee and Galloway because they were better defensively than Kopp and Stewart since they haven’t been giving us anything offensively.

I think this looks bad because he is an IU man and he was told he would be the successor once CMW would step down.  Not good IMO.

Also, some say he hasn’t done well in recruiting but didn’t he recruit Cupps?  I believe he just won’t Ohio Mr. Basketball.  

No Walsh was lead recruiter on Cupps.