Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife leaves IU staff

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Rob had the worst offensive season of his college career. So, whatever Fife was doing with him wasn’t helping on that end. 

In terms of what?  I'm not looking at his numbers so I don't know.  I do know I yelled at Phinisee less this year towards the end than I did towards the beginning.

Just now, Aaron said:

That is not what happened. Trust me. Izzo was going to show Fife the door pretty soon if IU did not take him on. Whether Woodson wants 'yes' men I have no idea, but there is a line between disagreeing sometimes as coaches and acting like a jerk to everyone around you and think you know everything. Fife very much was in the second one the last few years.

Woodson may need to change his ways some and I think that is fair to say, but the Fife issue is completely separate and he handled himself very badly at both MSU by the end and IU all year. 

Taking the IU out of it, someone like Fife is not the type of person you want on staff. He needs to humble himself out and listen to others advice and hopefully him being let go makes him take a look in the mirror. Otherwise he will be jumping job-to-job every couple years and burning bridges wherever he goes. 

Maybe.  None of us really know the dynamics of what happened at either place.  

1 minute ago, coonhounds said:

The sky has been falling literally for iu for going on 25 years basically. This may not be a big deal and possibly a good thing if Dane actually sucks at coaching or couldn't recruit. Or he was good at coaching Woodson sucks but didn't like some punk telling him what he thinks lol. Hopefully Woodson knows what he is doing

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

It’s pretty clear Fife couldn’t recruit

6 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

See I don't like ultimatums like that.  If the next "all world" recruit decides he'll only visit where he has offers, then what.  Gotta stay flexible.  

You aren't getting it. As an Asst Coach if you do something you are flat out told NOT to do, you're leaving your job security up to chance. 

3 minutes ago, Aaron said:

That is not what happened. Trust me. Izzo was going to show Fife the door pretty soon if IU did not take him on. Whether Woodson wants 'yes' men I have no idea, but there is a line between disagreeing sometimes as coaches and acting like a jerk to everyone around you and think you know everything. Fife very much was in the second one the last few years.

Woodson may need to change his ways some and I think that is fair to say, but the Fife issue is completely separate and he handled himself very badly at both MSU by the end and IU all year. 

Taking the IU out of it, someone like Fife is not the type of person you want on staff. He needs to humble himself out and listen to others advice and hopefully him being let go makes him take a look in the mirror. Otherwise he will be jumping job-to-job every couple years and burning bridges wherever he goes. 

Dane was not going to be Izzo's successor if they kept it in house.  That was pretty much already known.   That would be Dwayne Stephens.

I'd say there are two at fault here -- Woodson and Fife.  Woodson needs to listen to his assistant coaches more and Fife needs to know his place.  In the end, they couldn't coexist......and if two can't coexist, the assistant is always gone.  From a recruiting standpoint, it did seem strange that Fife didn't seem to really bring in anything.

Just now, Golfman25 said:

Maybe.  None of us really know the dynamics of what happened at either place.  

I have a pretty good feel as does Chris.

I don't know him and I have nowhere near the info he does, but I feel pretty confident in what  I am saying between MSU fans not liking it, some second hand chatter I know from behind the scenes, and Rabby's interview on JMV.

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

In terms of what?  I'm not looking at his numbers so I don't know.  I do know I yelled at Phinisee less this year towards the end than I did towards the beginning.

He had career lows in: FG%, FT%, TS%, PER, ORtg, eFG%, offensive win shares (had -0.2), ast%, and OBPM. Also had career lows/40 minutes in ppg and apg. His 3pt% was second lowest in his career at 26.4%. 

Maybe Fife helped him a lot on defense, idk. He was already a very good defender before Fife arrived, though. 

6 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I think the plan was to focus on Rob's defense.  But ok.  

Focusing on Rob’s defense is like focusing on Trayce’s dunking ability. Rob was already a good defender. Isn’t a coach there to improve a player’s weaknesses? If folks are going to say that Fife was a big help to the guards, it can’t be ignored when a player’s weaknesses get worse. 

Fife wanted the Indiana job last spring. Dolson hired him which was a great idea, credit to him.

Woodson didn't use Fife or perhaps any of his assistants for that matter? Fife is a respected B1G coach and D1 coach. 

I'm assuming Woodson didn't like Fife not being a yes man. He wasn't Woodson's guy which I do understand in the business it's all about having your "friends" on staff. I'm worried about Woodson's old school ways going forward but we'll see. He needs to flip this roster completely this summer. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He had career lows in: FG%, FT%, TS%, PER, ORtg, eFG%, offensive win shares (had -0.2), ast%, and OBPM. Also had career lows/40 minutes in ppg and apg. His 3pt% was second lowest in his career at 26.4%. 

Maybe Fife helped him a lot on defense, idk. He was already a very good defender before Fife arrived, though. 

I'm glad he had career lows in those numbers, he didn't deserve the playing time he got and it was good for us that it diminished.  I don't know...dude was just a low iq basketball player.  I feel like he was put in fewer situations to mess up so that made me happy.  Was that Dane?  Again, didn't Dane work with the guards?

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

Dane was not going to be Izzo's successor if they kept it in house.  That was pretty much already known.   That would be Dwayne Stephens.

I'd say there are two at fault here -- Woodson and Fife.  Woodson needs to listen to his assistant coaches more and Fife needs to know his place.  In the end, they couldn't coexist......and if two can't coexist, the assistant is always gone.  From a recruiting standpoint, it did seem strange that Fife didn't seem to really bring in anything.

I would say this is more or less accurate. Both deserve blame but Fife's behavior and know-it-all attitude is 100% on him and he rubbed many the wrong way.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I think this statement tells you everything you want to know about the situation. 

I should apologize to you for openly questioning you when you posted about this a couple of months ago.  Listen to Rabjohn's on JMV and sounded like Fife and Woodson didn't fit at all.  Said Fife was reprimanded about his tweets about not liking the NIL.

1 hour ago, Trish said:

Speechless. 

Our best AC got fired, how about that? 

What makes him our best assistant coach.  Sounds like he was struggling on the recruiting end of the job.

4 minutes ago, Trish said:

Fife wanted the Indiana job last spring. Dolson hired him which was a great idea, credit to him.

Woodson didn't use Fife or perhaps any of his assistants for that matter? Fife is a respected B1G coach and D1 coach. 

I'm assuming Woodson didn't like Fife not being a yes man. He wasn't Woodson's guy which I do understand in the business it's all about having your "friends" on staff. I'm worried about Woodson's old school ways going forward but we'll see. He needs to flip this roster completely this summer. 

This may or may not be true on the 'yes' man which can work.

As I said though there is a line between yes man and acting like a know-it-all and Fife crossed it. He wore people out at MSU as well and would of been out there pretty quickly if IU doesn't take him.

Constructive criticism is good but Fife needs to find the line and not cross into being a jerk and he has last few years. Needs to look in mirror and humble a bit because he has a lot to bring.

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

I'm glad he had career lows in those numbers, he didn't deserve the playing time he got and it was good for us that it diminished.  I don't know...dude was just a low iq basketball player.  I feel like he was put in fewer situations to mess up so that made me happy.  Was that Dane?  Again, didn't Dane work with the guards?

He played a lot off-ball with Xavier so I think that was a big part of being put in fewer situations to screw up. I really have no idea who Dan worked with position-wise, though. 

9 minutes ago, Josh said:

After the Purdue game, he was 12 of 45 from the field and 3 of 21 from three.  He didn't score in the last three games.

He also became a guy we couldn't put in the game at the end because he couldn't hit free throws.  I know 17 free throws is a small sample space, but what's really telling is that his last made free throw was on January 9th.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He played a lot off-ball with Xavier so I think that was a big part of being put in fewer situations to screw up. I really have no idea who Dan worked with position-wise, though. 

That's what I'm saying.  He was given a big role early and had it taken away from him late.  He was used to his strengths rather than given opportunity to fail.  That's progress?  With Phinisee it was lol