Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

6 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

His coach stated publicly that he was ready.  So I am sure he has some contingency plans.  

I would be confident in saying that the staff, along with TJD *knew this the day after our last loss. The fact that it's release timing has been managed as it has, means TJD and the staff are orchestrating what is best for both parties. 

This is akin to Jobs leaving Apple. All pieces fall in a specific order. E Pluribus Woodsen.

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Is there something magical about top 35?  I don’t know how draft contracts work.

I was wondering the same thing. It's just the spot Trayce mentioned in an interview. Maybe his NIL money would be the same as the 35th pick in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Dumb question because I'm too lazy to look it up. If Race comes back, this is his 5th year right? Don't players who use the covid year not count against scholarship numbers or was that a 1 time deal?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I asked this question about a year ago. They still count towards the scholarship #'s. 13 is still the max scholarships. This is why I was really worried that there would be a "Bubble" burst for recruiting high School seniors for 1,2,3 years until this all rolls through the already defined system. There are going to be several High School seniors get E'ffed from YET ANOTHER unintended consequence of a rule created out of feelings, not facts.   But what do I know.

11 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Dumb question because I'm too lazy to look it up. If Race comes back, this is his 5th year right? Don't players who use the covid year not count against scholarship numbers or was that a 1 time deal?

Teams were allowed to be over 13 scholarships this year. Next year, they have to be back down to 13 or less, even if they have players using their extra year. 

10 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Teams were allowed to be over 13 scholarships this year. Next year, they have to be back down to 13 or less, even if they have players using their extra year. 

Well here we have to opposite answers to what I have been told. I know you are saying anyone could be over 13 THIS year, but were there any teams that had more than 13 Scholly players this (last, 20-21) year? I would have thought that any of them would have been discussed. (Not asking for you to dig deep since I will not, just maybe you actually know of anyone who did). 

37 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

That was a one year thing for this past season only. He would count against the 13 scholarship limit.

1 hour ago, Joe_hoopsier said:

Well here we have to opposite answers to what I have been told. I know you are saying anyone could be over 13 THIS year, but were there any teams that had more than 13 Scholly players this (last, 20-21) year? I would have thought that any of them would have been discussed. (Not asking for you to dig deep since I will not, just maybe you actually know of anyone who did). 

Only people that could be over 13 scholarships for this last year were teams that had a super seniors that  stayed with their present team.   I would have to dig to see if any teams did but this last year the only way IU could be over 13 schollys was if Brunk and Al stayed then they would of been allowed to have 15 scholarship players.   Since those 2 decided to transfer elsewhere  they both counted against their new team scholarship numbers and IU could only be at 13 

1 hour ago, Joe_hoopsier said:

I checked 1 team. Apparently Kansas had 14 players under scholly and 4 walk-ons.

"Mitch Lightfoot's scholarship (as a Super Senior) does not count against the limit of 13 this season."

NBADRAFT.NET currently predicts TJD to be drafted 33rd (early in the second round). The 33rd pick in 2021 signed the following contract:

Jason Preston signed a 3 year / $4,461,917 contract with the Los Angeles Clippers, including $2,625,821 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $1,487,306. In 2021-22, Preston will earn a base salary of $1,062,303, while carrying a cap hit of $1,062,303 and a dead cap value of $1,062,303.

58 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He said in an interview that if he is not a top 33-35 pick he's coming back. I've only seen him in that range in one mock draft out of several so we'll see what happens.

ESPN has him as the #72 prospect. 

I still think he’s in that late/borderline second round range. But we will see how he looks for NBA teams in workouts. 

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I agree with what he said it's a win win situation. He moves out to Cali for two months trains with NBA guys gets better and gets drafted, or he gets better but still not in the 35 range and comes back to IU a better player. 

Absolutely. It’s the right move for him. 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Some really good workouts could be huge for him. 

Yeah, there's a looonnggg way to go here. All it takes is impressing one team and I think he absolutely has the ability to do so even with his faults.