Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

3 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I think what’s being referred to here is technically true: Childress played in the Northwestern game and Logan didn’t. But Childress came in and played on the wing alongside the starting bigs, so I don’t know that I agree he played over Duncomb; I can’t imagine playing TJD, Race, and Duncomb together

At the same time though, I was at that game and TJD was clearly gassed. A little surprising Duncomb didn't get in at least for a couple minutes.

Just now, HoosierX said:

At the same time though, I was at that game and TJD was clearly gassed. A little surprising Duncomb didn't get in at least for a couple minutes.

Sure. That’s not a walk-on playing over LD, though, it’s CMW deciding that TJD on empty gives him a better chance to win.

If we're creating a roster I'd like to keep our 1 and 5 while upgrading our wings. A proven versatile stretch 4 that can defend on the perimeter while hitting ~40% from deep. A couple of wing players that can defend multiple positions, attack the paint, shoot 40+% from deep, and create their own shots.

Even if we don't upgrade our talent, I'm sure we'll dominate the off-season.  We'll slot more than a few of our players onto preseason All-Big 1.o teams. We'll get upset when the media doesn't agree, the season plays out and they don't prove themselves, and then get mad at the media for not seeing it our way. Ignore the evidence of the last few decades and get angry at the "haters."

Regardless...

erica-nlewedim-star-girl.gif

24 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Mr. Childress is on another site and he indicated some good news is coming. He also said that if TJD comes back, then Race is too. If you get one, you're going to get both. 

Sooo... Geronimo leaves or he plays the 3?

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Sooo... Geronimo leaves or he plays the 3?

I think that is what is taking so much time between TJD, Race, and JG. I don't think the staff feels comfortable with JG playing the 3 yet. Does he get there with his work in the offseason, I hope so but we don't know. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I think that is what is taking so much time between TJD, Race, and JG. I don't think the staff feels comfortable with JG playing the 3 yet. Does he get there with his work in the offseason, I hope so but we don't know. 

I also don't understand why he wouldn't come back. If they all 3 come back, then I am rotating those 3, forget Durr who has left.  TJD plays the first 10 minutes, Race the first 7 or 8.  JG plays the minutes that Race sits, then plays the 4 when TJD goes out and Race shifts to the 5. A rough break down would be 30-32 min a game for TJD, 28-30 for Race, and JG gets those other 20 minutes or so that they are both out.

50 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Mr. Childress is on another site and he indicated some good news is coming. He also said that if TJD comes back, then Race is too. If you get one, you're going to get both. 

What site is that?

28 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

For me, I don’t need them feeling comfortable he can play the 3.  I need them acknowledging that’s he’s a better stretch 4 than Race and explain to Race that if he returns, it’s likely as a backup.  

Edited by 94Bulldog

31 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

They need to have him doing 3 things this summer: ball handling, shooting and agility. Those are by far the 3 most important things for him. 

Some more stats

Per 40 Min

Geronimo - 13.8 PPG (4th on team), 11.8 Boards (3rd, but really 1st behind Childress & Duncomb), Blocks 2.2 (2nd ), FG% .518 (3rd), 3PT 31% (7th), FT 57% (12th)

Kopp - 9.5 PPG (12th on team), Boards 4.1 (9th ), Blocks .4 (8th), FG% .356 (12th), 3PT 36% (4th), FT 86.5% (2nd), 

Totals 

Geronimo - Points 148 (6th), Min 429 (8th), Boards 121 (4th), Blocks 31 (3rd), Turnovers 31 (5th), FG 52% (3rd)

Kopp - Points 209 (5th), Min 879 (4th), Boards 89 (5th), Blocks 9 (4th), Turnovers 32 (4th), FG 36% (12th)

Last few games (UM,. Wyoming, St. Mary's due to Geronimo's injury - not Illinois, Iowa)

Geronimo - Pts 5, 15 and 9, shot 1-2, 1-4 and 1-1 on 3's, 2, 7 and 6 boards

Kopp - Pts 5, 0, and 0, shot 2-4, 0-1, 0-1 on 3's, 3, 2 and 1 boards.

Geronimo's improvement areas are FT's and growing his outside game, but the form is there, and already 31% despite poorer shooting earlier. Has to improve the handle to play more at the wing, but also saw improvement on that through the year. His minutes grew to 20-plus at the end of the season and he produced way better than Kopp, it's not close.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Trayce did announce around the Final Four a year ago. If I’m reading this right we may hear about Trace first and then see the domino effect between Race and Geronimo. 

6 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Still no shooters.  That team would be 3rd in the B1G and maybe a S16 at the absolute best imo.

Yeah regardless if everyone comes back (I think IU loses one more) there is an open spot. It needs to be spent on a proven shooter. Even as much as we all liked Kopp coming in, he had one season where he shot 39% from 3 and the rest were 31% and 33%… need someone that consistently hits 40% or more. 

How I feel about Bates next year is how I felt about Geronimo last year. I think he deserves more minutes but I’m not penciling him in to start just yet. If IU doesn’t land a proven shooter I feel it really limits this teams ceiling. I’d like to see a grad transfer guard that can shoot play over Bates next year. Then, as a Junior, Bates takes over. 

24 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Some more stats

Per 40 Min

Geronimo - 13.8 PPG (4th on team), 11.8 Boards (3rd, but really 1st behind Childress & Duncomb), Blocks 2.2 (2nd ), FG% .518 (3rd), 3PT 31% (7th), FT 57% (12th)

Kopp - 9.5 PPG (12th on team), Boards 4.1 (9th ), Blocks .4 (8th), FG% .356 (12th), 3PT 36% (4th), FT 86.5% (2nd), 

Totals 

Geronimo - Points 148 (6th), Min 429 (8th), Boards 121 (4th), Blocks 31 (3rd), Turnovers 31 (5th), FG 52% (3rd)

Kopp - Points 209 (5th), Min 879 (4th), Boards 89 (5th), Blocks 9 (4th), Turnovers 32 (4th), FG 36% (12th)

Last few games (UM,. Wyoming, St. Mary's due to Geronimo's injury - not Illinois, Iowa)

Geronimo - Pts 5, 15 and 9, shot 1-2, 1-4 and 1-1 on 3's, 2, 7 and 6 boards

Kopp - Pts 5, 0, and 0, shot 2-4, 0-1, 0-1 on 3's, 3, 2 and 1 boards.

Geronimo's improvement areas are FT's and growing his outside game, but the form is there, and already 31% despite poorer shooting earlier. Has to improve the handle to play more at the wing, but also saw improvement on that through the year. His minutes grew to 20-plus at the end of the season and he produced way better than Kopp, it's not close.

I'm in complete agreement that Geronimo should have been getting more minutes than Kopp but let's be fair. If you're representing that Geronimo should be higher in a specific category over players with minimal minutes it should be done with Kopp too. We don't need to manipulate numbers to show that Geronimo was statistically better than Kopp.

I didn't think Kopp would be a difference maker for the team. However, I had no idea that he would put up more scoring goose eggs than double digit games. I believe he was pretty inconsistent while at NW too (?).

13 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I'm in complete agreement that Geronimo should have been getting more minutes than Kopp but let's be fair. If you're representing that Geronimo should be higher in a specific category over players with minimal minutes it should be done with Kopp too. We don't need to manipulate numbers to show that Geronimo was statistically better than Kopp.

I didn't think Kopp would be a difference maker for the team. However, I had no idea that he would put up more scoring goose eggs than double digit games. I believe he was pretty inconsistent while at NW too (?).

I'm not following. How am I manipulating numbers? These are simple per 40 stats and total stats. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/2022.html

No manipulation. The only point about Childress & Duncomb is that they barely played, their placement at 1 and 2 in Boards is obviously irrelevant. I haven't checked Kopp's NWU numbers, he's always been a good shooter, but wasn't one to put the ball on the floor or rebound. That certainly didn't change. I get why Kopp was out there -- to create space at least by his shooting threat -- but he didn't take many shots so whatever utility there was in that was clearly limited, and his production was just poor, particularly considering his minutes. Geronimo's minutes jumped to plus 20 in the last few games, so I'm maybe just preaching to the choir, but man staff, wake up.

15 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I'm not following. How am I manipulating numbers? These are simple per 40 stats and total stats. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/2022.html

No manipulation. The only point about Childress & Duncomb is that they barely played, their placement at 1 and 2 in Boards is obviously irrelevant. I haven't checked Kopp's NWU numbers, he's always been a good shooter, but wasn't one to put the ball on the floor or rebound. That certainly didn't change. I get why Kopp was out there -- to create space at least by his shooting threat -- but he didn't take many shots so whatever utility there was in that was clearly limited, and his production was just poor, particularly considering his minutes. Geronimo's minutes jumped to plus 20 in the last few games, so I'm maybe just preaching to the choir, but man staff, wake up.

Referencing Geronimo's rebounding rank by removing a few end of bench players. This could be done through every stat by removing the non-rotational players which would increase both Kopp and Geronimo's rank.

Agreed, Kopp is not the answer on the wing. As a backup with some experience and as a good teammate is the role he should have should he return.