Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

TJD signed his LOI and hadn’t told anybody anything. There were articles about how MSU was making inroads after he had signed hilariously 

Yeah, I think it was a few days or weeks after the signing period ended before he even announced it.

35 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

How does Queen compare to Thomas Bryant? 

Haven't seen a ton of film, but the few highlights I've watched brought that comparison to mind somewhat. 

Athleticism is similiar relative to build, height, and verticality but Queen is much more fluid about his movements.  I think Queen will be the better player in the end but they have their similarities

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Athleticism is similiar relative to build, height, and verticality but Queen is much more fluid about his movements.  I think Queen will be the better player in the end but they have their similarities

I don't see the similarities in style - I guess there are height/weight similarities.

• Bryant was a little stiff, but excelled as a super-high motor guy with a solid distance jump shot. 
  • Queen's strengths are unheard of court vision for a big, cleverness around the rim, and handle.

You know who Queen reminds me of in style (though Queen has a ton more upside)? Someone we barely ever got a sense of; a healthy DeRon Davis.

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I don't see the similarities in style - I guess there are height/weight similarities.

• Bryant was a little stiff, but excelled as a super-high motor guy with a solid distance jump shot. 
  • Queen's strengths are unheard of court vision for a big, cleverness around the rim, and handle.

You know who Queen reminds me of in style (though Queen has a ton more upside)? Someone we barely ever got a sense of; a healthy DeRon Davis.

I also see similarities between Queen and Malik…Queen just has a little more size 

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

The comp that I’ve had for Queen for a while, though I don’t recall throwing it out there because it may not be universally viewed as a compliment, though it is to me, is a rich man’s Cam Krutwig, who was the center on Porter Moser’s Loyola team that went to the sweet 16 in ‘21. Strong, thick, super-skilled, below the rim 5 who doesn’t give you rim protection but has such great offensive value as a post scorer combined with a facilitation element that’s really rare. Could easily see him as a 5 asst/game guy playing in a system with a lot of motion. But he’d certainly be effective playing out of the post. His footwork will be so tough for a post defenders to deal with and he will punish doubles assuming he’s playing with shot makers. 

1 hour ago, Gnet550 said:

I also see similarities between Queen and Malik…Queen just has a little more size 

Anyone have a sense of his defensive ability? I know that isn't highlight video stuff, but just curious if he has a rep for being solid on D? 

1 hour ago, Demo said:

The comp that I’ve had for Queen for a while, though I don’t recall throwing it out there because it may not be universally viewed as a compliment, though it is to me, is a rich man’s Cam Krutwig, who was the center on Porter Moser’s Loyola team that went to the sweet 16 in ‘21. Strong, thick, super-skilled, below the rim 5 who doesn’t give you rim protection but has such great offensive value as a post scorer combined with a facilitation element that’s really rare. Could easily see him as a 5 asst/game guy playing in a system with a lot of motion. But he’d certainly be effective playing out of the post. His footwork will be so tough for a post defenders to deal with and he will punish doubles assuming he’s playing with shot makers. 

YES. 

That’s the comp. And great callback to Krutwig. I had to watch him to understand the hype. A favorite NCAA basketball player over the past several years. 

How a big scores isn’t really the differentiator. Edey reaches over you. Reneau sticks his butt into you to create space for a lay-in. Trayce would just spin move around you so explosively that you’d be looking at the sideline while he’s dunking behind you. Regardless of the how, they are all bigs that can receive the entry pass then put the ball in the bucket. 

The comp here is floor vision and facilitation. Basically passing. And then as Demo noted below-the-rim craftiness to score as well. 

In my eye the two passing bigs we’ve had over the past couple coaches are TJD and Juwan. Both not only looked to pass, but actually created a shot for the passee.  Queen, to me, is that kind of big. Play through the middle. And I do feel like Woody is versatile in a way to really exploit that ability.