Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

13 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

18 of Queen's 20 came in the 1st half. He was terrific and Stepinac had no answer for him. Threw another 1 of those left-handed skip passes off the left block to the weak corner for a 3 that just makes you shake your head. Also showed a little lefty jump hook that I don't remember seeing before. So, so skilled.

13 minutes ago, Demo said:

18 of Queen's 20 came in the 1st half. He was terrific and Stepinac had no answer for him. Threw another 1 of those left-handed skip passes off the left block to the weak corner for a 3 that just makes you shake your head. Also showed a little lefty jump hook that I don't remember seeing before. So, so skilled.

Seems like a given that the offense will be there right away. Can he rebound and defend at the P5 level, or can he get there as a freshman?

Because if he's a Hoosier and either Reneau or Ware bolt, we're gonna need him to.

ps; nice "minus 41" plus/minus line for Fland lol.

Seems like a given that the offense will be there right away. Can he rebound and defend at the P5 level, or can he get there as a freshman?
Because if he's a Hoosier and either Reneau or Ware bolt, we're gonna need him to.

That’s my question as well. But he’s smart and big enough. The entire debate with 5 star freshman vs experienced transfers is really noteworthy. Gotta be some sort of mixture. If/when Ware bolts, Reneau and Queen together will/would be great in the front court imo. Losing both would hurt big time.

My thought process lately is if Mgbako stays and Reneau stays, the lineup gets interesting.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

16 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That’s my question as well. But he’s smart and big enough. The entire debate with 5 star freshman vs experienced transfers is really noteworthy. Gotta be some sort of mixture. If/when Ware bolts, Reneau and Queen together will/would be great in the front court imo. Losing both would hurt big time.

My thought process lately is if Mgbako stays and Reneau stays, the lineup gets interesting.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I not so sure that Ware, Mgbako, and Reneau aren't all 40/60 to 60/40 chances of staying. And a lineup with two of Mack, Malik, and Mack, + Queen, McNeeley, and Gallo would be quite a sight if they could defend a little. The offensive potential would be special.

I have the same guess: efficient offense from the tip in game 1, where’s the defense.

Ware keeps showing up in 1st round mocks, so I’d think he’s going going gone, but would guess every rotation player with eligibility is back. The exception there might be in the guard rotation, as Demo has suggested.

51 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Rebounding will play no problem. He's got good feet and he's not handsy, so I would think his ball screen D would hold up better than, say, Reneau's sometimes does. He's got some length be he's not gonna give you a lot in the way of rim protection. Since he's not the biggest post kid, he's gonna have to get really comfortable leveraging post scorers off the block a step or 2 to get them just a little uncomfortable. I'd being showing him a lot of Nick Ward/MSU tape. That dude became really good at that.

9 minutes ago, lillurk said:

So if you have Trey, Liam, MM, Malik, and Queen, plus a bench of Cupps, Newton/Gunn, Banks, and Sparks, that’s a pretty good baseline on both ends with a clear role for a 20 mpg rim protector. Mayyyybe an additional 2/wing.

Gunn is going to have to improve a ton or Newton probably will pass. Though Newton looks like he could be a great free safety.

10 minutes ago, lillurk said:

So if you have Trey, Liam, MM, Malik, and Queen, plus a bench of Cupps, Newton/Gunn, Banks, and Sparks, that’s a pretty good baseline on both ends with a clear role for a 20 mpg rim protector. Mayyyybe an additional 2/wing.

That's a low impact defensive team and potentially a very high impact offensive team IMO.

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That's a low impact defensive team and potentially a very high impact offensive team IMO.

Yeah the defense hinges on: playable rim protector 5, either Ware or non-Queen new guy, and how ready is Newton to be ++ on that end without being a minus on offense. If he can’t be that then you probably need to find a Chase Audige-type.

IMO you can find those types of players in the portal more easily than some offensive fulcrums.

9 hours ago, lillurk said:

Why do people keep thinking Gunn and Sparks will be good bench players.  I’m not even sold on Banks either

6 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Why do people keep thinking Gunn and Sparks will be good bench players.  I’m not even sold on Banks either

At least personally, I would say my suggestions in the very post you’re quoting and elsewhere in the thread imply I do not think this about Gunn and Sparks. I’ll partially defend them: both those guys have swung wins this year against high-major teams. The issue is consistency, and playing within oneself.

Banks, I think, is basically already there, or nearer than these other two