Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Trilly's Off The Burner - 

VJ Edgecombe and Derik Queen are nearing decisions.

Two of the highest rated prospects left in the 2024 class are likely to announce their decisions at the upcoming HoopHall Classic, multiple sources say.

VJ Edgecombe is deciding between Baylor, Duke and Kentucky. Queen is deciding between Indiana and Maryland.

As of writing, none of the teams involved in either recruitment have been informed of a decision. In recent days I’ve had sources tell me Duke is the team to beat for Edgecombe and Queen is still undecided.

Queen ain't coming  here... write it down... with a Sharpie.

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Queen ain't coming  here... write it down... with a Sharpie.

We need talent but it'd be another year of starting 2 post players in Reneau/Queen. I'd rather we didn't do that. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

Really? Tell me why? Maryland? Houston? Kansas?

Two reasons:

Maryland home town. Mama seems to be a force to be reckoned with.

Indiana is a dumpster fire. He wants to play for a title? That ain't happening here in the foreseeable future.

13 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

He wants to play for a title?

Every recruit says they want to play for a title and every year 5 star kids go to schools that clearly are not going to win a title.    Vanderbilt got 2 5 star kids back in the day and both said so they went there to win a title.  Pretty sure they went winless in the SEC that year.   Garland got hurt in that year but still he openly chose Vandy and turned down Kansas and other places where he could of won more games 

16 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Two reasons:

Maryland home town. Mama seems to be a force to be reckoned with.

Indiana is a dumpster fire. He wants to play for a title? That ain't happening here in the foreseeable future.

The pull of home may well be the compelling factor here. Maryland just added another kid from St Francis Academy, which was Queen’s original high school. We’ll see. But if you think that turning TJD from a non-prospect into an NBA rotation player, improving Ware’s game and rehabbing his draft stock and expanding Reneau’s game, a kid he played with, mind you, isn’t a compelling argument for the kid I think you’re wrong about that.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

We need talent but it'd be another year of starting 2 post players in Reneau/Queen. I'd rather we didn't do that. 

There's no guarantee that Queen would start as a freshman IMO

17 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

There's no guarantee that Queen would start as a freshman IMO

Agree. Would think if Ware goes, certainly will, and Mgbako stays, more likely than not at the moment, you'd have a 4 man front court rotation built around Reneau, Mgbako, McNeeley and Queen. Assume the 1st 3 starting with Queen rotating in and Reneau moving to the 4 and Mgbako to the 3. Other than McNeeley, who's a pure wing, the other 3 can pretty easily rotate through the other 2 roles, particularly with Mgbako getting wing minutes along with a better fitting stretch 4 role. In reality, despite Ware playing really well so far, that strikes me as a better, more natural, offensive rotation. Now, defensively.....

1 minute ago, Demo said:

Agree. Would think if Ware goes, certainly will, and Mgbako stays, more likely than not at the moment, you'd have a 4 man front court rotation built around Reneau, Mgbako, McNeeley and Queen. Assume the 1st 3 starting with Queen rotating in and Reneau moving to the 4 and Mgbako to the 3. Other than McNeeley, who's a pure wing, the other 3 can pretty easily rotate through the other 2 roles, particularly with Mgbako getting wing minutes along with a better fitting stretch 4 role. In reality, despite Ware playing really well so far, that strikes me as a better offensive rotation. Now, defensively.....

With rim protection by...by...bye-bye.

10 minutes ago, Demo said:

Agree. Would think if Ware goes, certainly will, and Mgbako stays, more likely than not at the moment, you'd have a 4 man front court rotation built around Reneau, Mgbako, McNeeley and Queen. Assume the 1st 3 starting with Queen rotating in and Reneau moving to the 4 and Mgbako to the 3. Other than McNeeley, who's a pure wing, the other 3 can pretty easily rotate through the other 2 roles, particularly with Mgbako getting wing minutes along with a better fitting stretch 4 role. In reality, despite Ware playing really well so far, that strikes me as a better, more natural, offensive rotation. Now, defensively.....

Right. As Stu said, need rim protection somewhere. Guess that's on the portal shopping list along with hopefully 2-3 guards.

If Mgbako does not return, which I am slightly less confident about than others generally are, let's just say Spring will be... busy! Don't have any info to support that view on Mgbako ... just a random guy's gut feel, I'd handicap the odds at 70/30 he leaves as of now. 

Queen has to like what he's seen from IU big men regardless

18 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Trilly's Off The Burner - 

VJ Edgecombe and Derik Queen are nearing decisions.

Two of the highest rated prospects left in the 2024 class are likely to announce their decisions at the upcoming HoopHall Classic, multiple sources say.

VJ Edgecombe is deciding between Baylor, Duke and Kentucky. Queen is deciding between Indiana and Maryland.

As of writing, none of the teams involved in either recruitment have been informed of a decision. In recent days I’ve had sources tell me Duke is the team to beat for Edgecombe and Queen is still undecided.

If Trilly is right on Hoophall, Montverde plays a primetime game 1/14 on ESPN2 against Prolific Prep. That would certainly align.

Yeah, in college this probably gets stripped and goes the other way.  But this is still sweet and it’s good seeing the kid’s confidence continue to grow. 

3 hours ago, Demo said:

Yeah, in college this probably gets stripped and goes the other way.  But this is still sweet and it’s good seeing the kid’s confidence continue to grow. 

Get him on the Reneau workout plan and that could still end up being a part of his game. His game gives me a Jokic/DeJuan Blair hybrid sort of vibe. In the sense they're all not really athletic... Jokic's passing/handle, roughly Blair's size/defensive profile/rebounding ability.

I once saw Blair at a HS tournament put up 40 points and 40 rebounds. It was the most dominant sports performance I've seen in person. Jerryd Bayless, who went to Arizona, also hit a buzzer beating game winner to end the final game. I was convinced they'd both be NBA studs... Blair had a cup of coffee and could've been great, but he literally has no ligaments in his knee I think. Bayless I think was a journeyman for a few years. That all had to be around 2006ish. Man time flies. 

20 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Commitment date set for mid-January.

Mom goes to two Maryland games over break, DQ goes to one of them.

AAU coach attends a game at IU last night. Reneau shows out big time and is starting to look like a pro.

The next day the commitment date gets moved out to February. 

To me? Seems like he is looking for a reason to avoid Maryland, but wants to see a role for him at IU.

On 1/6/2024 at 12:22 AM, Home Jersey said:

Get him on the Reneau workout plan and that could still end up being a part of his game. His game gives me a Jokic/DeJuan Blair hybrid sort of vibe. In the sense they're all not really athletic... Jokic's passing/handle, roughly Blair's size/defensive profile/rebounding ability.

I once saw Blair at a HS tournament put up 40 points and 40 rebounds. It was the most dominant sports performance I've seen in person. Jerryd Bayless, who went to Arizona, also hit a buzzer beating game winner to end the final game. I was convinced they'd both be NBA studs... Blair had a cup of coffee and could've been great, but he literally has no ligaments in his knee I think. Bayless I think was a journeyman for a few years. That all had to be around 2006ish. Man time flies. 

Blair actually had more than a cup of coffee in the NBA -- played 7 seasons and 424 games, averaging about 7 points and 5 rebounds per game.  Was the starting power forward on some pretty good Spurs teams.