Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

24 minutes ago, Josh said:

I mean, mine were taken as trolling when in reality they were correct.  Not trolling.  They were called many things to make the sunshine pumpers feel better about their opinion.  This board has a very Sunshine Pumper herd mentality.

Now I'm on the other side trying to pump that sunshine, but I can empathize with anybody who gets called a troll for his opinion.

I hope we don't do this again.

amen-anchorman.gif

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I can empathize with  @AZ Hoosier and the replies he's gotten.  I was the leader of the "Please don't hire Archie Miller, He's a disaster" group.  For 4 years after the bum was hired I preached how much garbage he was.  For 4 years I got a lot of hate for being on that wagon.

Now he's on the same wagon for a different coach.  Will he be right too?  Who knows.  Man I hope not.  

But some of us need to look in the mirror and reflect.  Did you bash me for my Archie take?  Did you dismiss me as "just negative"?  Or "elementary"?  Or any of the other things I was told?  Because if so, you were 100% wrong.  Maybe learn a lesson here 

I do find it strange that this rant came during daylight hours when mine usually came after many beers and yet another loss.  But maybe he has different vices lol.

I'm still optimistic that our run starts tonight.  Get ready, this will be fun.  But let's not gang up on him for his take.

We are all just pessimistic losers who know nothing because the experts had a "happier" opinion. Been there with ya. Only the "good takes" are okay to dish. Negativity shouldn't be allowed. The amount of crap I got here for saying Crean should have been fired after 13-14 season was wild. But it was whatever. I guess we got another B1G title... But now look where we are. 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I mean, mine were taken as trolling when in reality they were correct.  Not trolling.  They were called many things to make the sunshine pumpers feel better about their opinion.  This board has a very Sunshine Pumper herd mentality.

Now I'm on the other side trying to pump that sunshine, but I can empathize with anybody who gets called a troll for his opinion.

I hope we don't do this again.

The only thing you’re missing in your endless quest for people to praise you for your Archie takes is to say “neh-neh-na-boo-boo I was right” and then stick your tongue out. I can get my 4 year old to teach you how to do it if you need. 

1 minute ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

The only thing you’re missing in your endless quest for people to praise you for your Archie takes is to say “neh-neh-na-boo-boo I was right” and then stick your tongue out. I can get my 4 year old to teach you how to do it if you need. 

You're close.  It's not so much that I want people to acknowledge that I was right, It's that I want people to acknowledge that they were wrong.  Not for my pride, it's for their growth.  I don't want tribal mentality to happen here anymore when the tribe is wrong.

I was skeptical of Archie but not vocally negative, and pretty quickly pro-Woody. I still think Woody shows signs of turning things around.

If you have substantive disagreements about a coach’s approach, my advice would be to frame things less polemically. The post today’s a good example of what I’d say not to do (unless you WANT to get trolled): vague, accusatory, no substantial points elucidating what’s wrong with the basketball or program building.

You get back the kind of engagement you put out there. So a pro-Woody perspective isn’t just rah-rah, it’s me saying:

1. He helped lay the foundation for the Hawks pre-Trae Young period of 21st century prosperity, from a dire spot

2. He’s the best coach in recent Knicks history

3. He’s gotten more out of lots of guys who’ve played for him than anyone else, from stars like Carmelo to back-of-rotation guys like Steve Novak

4. He was pretty prescient about where the 3 point revolution was going

5. he came from the place every kid he’ll recruit wants to go

…and I could go on.

15 minutes ago, Josh said:

You're close.  It's not so much that I want people to acknowledge that I was right, It's that I want people to acknowledge that they were wrong.  Not for my pride, it's for their growth.  I don't want tribal mentality to happen here anymore when the tribe is wrong.

Well you’ll get that from me all day. I was wrong about Archie. I’ll maintain that I had my reasons to support him other than thinking he was the right guy, but all that isn’t worth rehashing. But it sure feels like a “neh-neh-na-boo-boo you were wrong” after a while. 

22 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Well you’ll get that from me all day. I was wrong about Archie. I’ll maintain that I had my reasons to support him other than thinking he was the right guy, but all that isn’t worth rehashing. But it sure feels like a “neh-neh-na-boo-boo you were wrong” after a while. 

You take it how you want to take it.  I'm trying to tell you how it's meant.  Reflect on the words however you will.

Ok, I'm off the Woodson train.  I was so ready for Archie to be gone that I'd support whoever got the job.  

But holy crap.  How in the world can Woody continue to give so many minutes to Kopp and Stewart?  Those two are absolute garbage.  They lose us games.  Woody don't care.  He's going to play them extended time.

That alone is enough to be off the Woodson train.

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

Ok, I'm off the Woodson train.  I was so ready for Archie to be gone that I'd support whoever got the job.  

But holy crap.  How in the world can Woody continue to give so many minutes to Kopp and Stewart?  Those two are absolute garbage.  They lose us games.  Woody don't care.  He's going to play them extended time.

I have no idea how bates and Geronimo didn’t get more minutes down the last stretch of games. It is mind boggling 

18 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I have no idea how bates and Geronimo didn’t get more minutes down the last stretch of games. It is mind boggling 

Mike Woodson is tying his legacy to Miller Kopp and Parker Stewart.  Oof.

35 minutes ago, Josh said:

It's been obvious for a whole that they absolutely cannot be on the floor at the same time because neither can stay in front of a chair, but happened all season long with no change.

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Mike Woodson is tying his legacy to Miller Kopp and Parker Stewart.  Oof.

Let’s hope that isn’t the case. 

Let’s hope that he ties his legacy to jakai newton, gabe cupps, CJ Gunn, JHS, etc. and IU wins a ton of games. 

I don’t have a whole lot of hope that happens, but I got nothing else at this point 

37 minutes ago, Josh said:

This summer will be extremely important for Woody and the program. He better find the most capable leader and spend a ton of time developing him, as a leader. This program has a culture problem (shocking).

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

This summer will be extremely important for Woody and the program. He better find the most capable leader and spend a ton of time developing him, as a leader. This program has a culture problem (shocking).

We also have a bunch of scared players.  It seemed like nobody wanted to step up at the end.  

Xavier Johnson has been bashed on here for trying to play hero ball at the end of games (including by me) but at least he has the confidence to go for it. The rest just seem scared.

Who do we have coming next year that gives anyone confidence we can have a legit 3 pt shooter. We also do not have a big coming to help down low.

I admit this being Woodys first year and we know it takes time to get his kids in but I see a good PG coming next year but not ready to assume Gunn is going to be instant impact nor a ready to go college 3 pt shooter.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Who do we have coming next year that gives anyone confidence we can have a legit 3 pt shooter. We also do not have a big coming to help down low.

I admit this being Woodys first year and we know it takes time to get his kids in but I see a good PG coming next year but not ready to assume Gunn is going to be instant impact nor a ready to go college 3 pt shooter.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Right on…. We don’t at all replace TJD. We don’t address 3 point shooting. I’ve been harping on next years outlook for a long time. It’s brutal.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

14 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Right on…. We don’t at all replace TJD. We don’t address 3 point shooting. I’ve been harping on next years outlook for a long time. It’s brutal.

There are possibilities but we'll need quite a bit to fall our way to be middle of the pack Big 1.o next season. Hopefully, JHS can do something from a leadership role, but... frosh and stuff.

There are possibilities but we'll need quite a bit to fall our way to be middle of the pack Big 1.o next season. Hopefully, JHS can do something from a leadership role, but... frosh and stuff.

This off-season will be bananas with movement. Hopefully we win the transfer market, but I’m not counting on it. The rich will get richer and we’ll get leftovers. Hope and pray for big man splash and roster improvement. Go through all this again next March. Woody will be exhausted after this season and if next season goes the same way, it’s over….

7 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

The kid he replaced at Monteverde ryan Nembhard was having a heck of a year for Creighton and had taken on a leadership role until he got hurt.  Ranked around 70.   Easily their best player.   Hopefully JHS can follow a similar path minus getting hurt