Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

I don't ever remember the bench being as engaged as this one is. Some of CAM's bench shots looked like the kids would rather be anywhere but there. These guys want each other to succeed and celebrate when someone does. That is a sign of a coach who knows what he is doing. The jump from two years ago to now is amazing. Indiana basketball is good and fun again.

To add to that is guys on the court getting as excited, if not more so, for doing something that lead to another player's success (Geronimo last night). That is also culture and a refreshing sight to me not just for this team but for sports in general. Hard not to like this group of guys 1-13 (don't know how many walk-ons we have). Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I liked Woody when hired... wasn't 100% sold, but thought he could do well, the right type of guy,  and chances were good. 

He has surpassed every expectation I had so far.

Now my expectations are getting scary unrealistic lol... Not expecting a NC this year or anything like that... But the outlook is very, very bright... 

Good play. Good recruiting. Good development. Good locker room. Good effort. And great energy from the fan base. 

6 hours ago, iubb said:

TIL
Woodson does not have a typical “hierarchy”
For his assistants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope not. I would absolutely go with the coach that had the scout that game.  

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

The play that we got from Moren has gotta be thanks to Walsh.

He’s a major women’s team fan and regular women’s game attendee.

Walsh is the real deal. I hope we keep him for a long time. 

Hey hey hey…Woody doesn’t listen to his assistants remember lol

Honestly though, that’s pretty awesome 

13 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

The play that we got from Moren has gotta be thanks to Walsh.

He’s a major women’s team fan and regular women’s game attendee.

Walsh is the real deal. I hope we keep him for a long time. 

The new coach in waiting!

13 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

It's not necessarily the "play" that makes this go, imo. It's where you put the pieces, as well... 

You have your best shooter on the men's team making the pass (Kopp), for the women's team, not their best shooter, but a lethal one (Sydney)..... Grace+JHS set the UCLA screen, but both of their skill sets in the midrange are very good, so their defender hugs them (doesn't worry about bumping the cutter)  because you cannot let JHS or Grace catch the ball at the nail hole, but the defender doesn't see the big picture here.... Dickinson and the girl guarding Holmes don't jump to the ball quick enough... 4 points for our teams... yayyyy. 

This will be scouted now and we won't be able to use it for a bit, but still. Great design. 

Coaching is all about stealing ideas and altering them to make them your own. 

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's not necessarily the "play" that makes this go, imo. It's where you put the pieces, as well... 

You have your best shooter on the men's team making the pass (Kopp), for the women's team, not their best shooter, but a lethal one (Sydney)..... Grace+JHS set the UCLA screen, but both of their skill sets in the midrange are very good, so their defender hugs them (doesn't worry about bumping the cutter)  because you cannot let JHS or Grace catch the ball at the nail hole, but the defender doesn't see the big picture here.... Dickinson and the girl guarding Holmes don't jump to the ball quick enough... 4 points for our teams... yayyyy. 

This will be scouted now and we won't be able to use it for a bit, but still. Great design. 

It's awfully nice to be Teri Moren - every one of her top six players has to be guarded on the perimeter, the ball pops, and her post has to be double-teamed. Only strategy I can think of? Force feed to whoever Holmes is guarding and see if you can get her in foul trouble. Of course, our guards double down so effectively that doing so often results in a turnover.

It's 'pick your poison' to the max. 

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Sure you can still use it. You can run a counter from this as the tendency will be to over help on Holmes/TJD so you have Berger/JHS pop to the FT line for either an uncontested jumper or quick rotation to the weak side corner if the defender there helps. There are always counters.

9 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Sure you can still use it. You can run a counter from this as the tendency will be to over help on Holmes/TJD so you have Berger/JHS pop to the FT line for either an uncontested jumper or quick rotation to the weak side corner if the defender there helps. There are always counters.

I realize that. But, if you run that early in a game NOW(after it's on film) vs. a well-coached team... TJD is getting bumped off his cut by his own man... and JHS is getting denied. 

The girls run this action a ton, but they have more shooters and Grace vs. JHS in the lane is advantage Grace, comparatively. 

Michigans defense on this play was astronomically bad. That won't always be the case, either. 

35 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It's awfully nice to be Teri Moren - every one of her top six players has to be guarded on the perimeter, the ball pops, and her post has to be double-teamed. Only strategy I can think of? Force feed to whoever Holmes is guarding and see if you can get her in foul trouble. Of course, our guards double down so effectively that doing so often results in a turnover.

Moren built the squad, the entire program, and runs it all from the sidelines with precision, so yeah, it's nice to be her lol!

On the 'pick your poison,' the HT just rd-published a nice piece from the Star with that very headline, and as the piece lays it out, it's impressive.

Before we go back to just talking men's team, just a few things from that article:

Holmes made 15-18 shots Monday against Ohio St, just another walk in the park for her, double figures in every game all season

That was the women's 8th W over a ranked opponent in as many tries

Avg margin of victory: 13.6 points

They shot 74% in the 1st half against ranked OSU, 74%...

They've trailed a total of 8:36 min over the past 2 games against top 15 teams

I mean, 24-1, yeah, good to be Moren :)

I'm thinking how cool it would be to see both programs in the FF. These women are so good (Berger remains my fav).

34 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yeah it isn't too difficult to coach our girls team on the offensive end lol 

I can't think of any way to beat us, besides the strategy you mentioned.