Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Ooooook who’s your # 2?

Context…2 weeks ago we were just hoping that Miller would be fired so we could seek a better coach to move the program forward. I think we would, at that point, have been very happy with several of the guys below as significant improvements. If Dolson has big money available and is willing to go big, why not march down a list similar to this one?

In terms of desirability, being ’proven’, and fit; not perceived availability...

1) Donovan, 2 NCAA titles, NBA experience, conference titles

2) Wright, 2 NCAA titles, conference titles

3) Bennett, 1 NCAA title, ACC titles

4) Beard, 1 NCAA title game, conference titles, learned directly from the best (Knight)

5) Musselman, NBA experience, conference titles

6) Oats, conference titles, style of play, up and comer

7) Matta, if healthy, 2 final fours, conference titles

8) Beilein, 2 final fours, conference titles

Others are purposefully not included as likely not being good fits (Pitino, Pearl, Calipari, Sampson, etc.)

Even if you ended up with Beard, Mussleman, Oats, or Matta, for example, it seems like a clear improvement over where we were two weeks ago.

52 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

For @Chris007 and @ISP and @IUwins0708 and all of the other insiders, I'm curious to learn if Dolson and the bag men are still fighting for Brad, or, if they've moved on, who they've moved on to. Are the decision makers bound and determined to make IU great and spend the same money on another coach? For example, are they willing to approach Billy D. and throw all the money at him -- despite his new gig with the Bulls -- to exhaust every option? 

I'm not an insider, but I figure the ship has sailed on Billy the kid. When he and OKC parted ways last year, the Bulls snatched him up pretty quickly. If he had any interest in a return to college, he could have taken some time off to evaluate things and weigh any possible openings. But he dived right back into the NBA waters almost immediately. I think his days of college basketball are over. 

So disappointed that Brad appeared to use us to sweeten his Boston deal. I felt like he was the only transformational candidate that could make say a Hunter Solis, 5 star uncommitted guard that Kenya Hunter has a relationship with, Chet Holmgren, or transfer Dawson Garcia immediately take notice. Of course, there are other great coaches out there, but I am having trouble getting excited about them. I’m afraid Beard will leverage us for a sweeter deal and others may also. I threw out the name Eric Spoelstra. He makes about 3m and is possibly more highly regarded in the NBA than Brad. He would certainly fit the “modern basketball ‘’ criterion that Dolson mentioned. He just doesn’t have the Indiana connection that Brad had. I agree Archie had to go. He was a lame duck with no recruiting momentum. I hope we are not set up for a series of public courtships to end up with an up and comer that takes us 4 years to assess.

38 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

I don't understand Boston paying Brad all that money with the situation Boston is in. I also don't understand IU meeting the back-and-forth demands of a professional and then having said professional go back on his reported word to get a raise at his current job. 

Everything you are saying is a wild @$$ guess.  Stevens just negotiated a contract extension in August.  There is no proof that we proposed doubling his salary, and that he went back to the Celtics and they doubled it, or there was a lot of back and forth and he kept asking for more.

I believe IU talked with his agent.  I believe IU agreed to everything he asked for.  Then I think Brad decided he liked the NBA more.  Maybe something will come out and convince me that Stevens played IU, but that is NOT the way the man has done anything before.  He has always seemed to be a strait shooter.  People don't usually go from being straightforward and honest to playing people off others.  

Once we get down to possible prospects after Few, Wright , and so on say no, or aren’t asked, I get hung up with Drew and Beard.

I don’t like slow, put you to sleep offenses , but I respect what Beard has done over his short tenure.

I really like Drew’s offense and athletic guys he recruits. More my style, but I worry about his previous tournament resume and the shadiness stuff that has went on there if true.

After that it’s probably Mussleman or Oats, also a hard decision for me.

Help

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I like Beard. Seems he would bring the fire and passion we thought we would see from Archie but never did. Looks like he gets the fight out of his players. I think he’d understand what being at IU is all about and realize the expectations. His comments after their tournament win were funny too....”I want to thank Mr. Lunardi. He never picks us and our guys kind of feed off this....Not sure if he got a speeding ticket in Lubbock back in the day or whatever, but we made a run in the last tournament and we intend to make a run again.” 

Maybe we just hire all the geniuses on their high thrones at ESPN and the media?

Bilas, Greenberg, Dakich, etc.

They seem to be confident in everything they say when it comes to basketball. Let em prove how great they are on an actual sideline instead of twitter.

Everything you are saying is a wild @$$ guess.  Stevens just negotiated a contract extension in August.  There is no proof that we proposed doubling his salary, and that he went back to the Celtics and they doubled it, or there was a lot of back and forth and he kept asking for more.

I believe IU talked with his agent.  I believe IU agreed to everything he asked for.  Then I think Brad decided he liked the NBA more.  Maybe something will come out and convince me that Stevens played IU, but that is NOT the way the man has done anything before.  He has always seemed to be a strait shooter.  People don't usually go from being straightforward and honest to playing people off others.  

Bingo!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree with the approach, don't agree that makes IU "desperate" though. We fired our coach and need a new one. Reaching out to the best in business is the opposite of desperate. Talking about Fife & Cheaney is though. Don't even need to offer them $7mil. Just ask if they are interested in discussing- these guys know the drill. If they say "no" keep moving on until you find the best guy that says "yes". It's not as sexy as grabbing Stevens right out of the gate, but it's the way this usually works.  

I think “desperate” may have been the wrong word to use. What I mean is throwing public feelers out to all of the top coaches could be considered a bad look if/when they say “no”. Then when you get to the Beard group, there may be a view from the fans (and them) that we are settling. One of those coaches could bring us back, but perception may be damaged starting out.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Beard is only 46. He is a fantastic coach and a charismatic leader.

Beard would be...

perfect.

Agree, per my post above...I would have been ecstatic two weeks ago (pre-Stevens hoopla) with the idea of Beard. We can't know for sure but is Beard the next best thing to another Knight? Might be fun to find out.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Beard would be...

perfect.

Technically Beard is 48 but your point stands, I think he would be great here. He was a big Bob Knight fan.... I just think we're going to have to throw the farm at him. That rumored 7 million a year offer to Stevens? We'd probably have to extend the same to Beard.

14 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

To be clear, what I believe is a wild a$$ guess, but you believe is the spoken word. Got it, thanks for setting me straight Brad. 

Just now, Hoosierfan222 said:

Technically Beard is 48 but your point stands, I think he would be great here. He was a big Bob Knight fan.... I just think we're going to have to throw the farm at him. That rumored 7 million a year offer to Stevens? We'd probably have to extend the same to Beard.

I wouldn't feel good about that. His resume doesn't command that, imo. A raise, sure, but $7 mil is too much and would set him up for failure. 

For that kind of money I expect real results, real fast. Like competing for the B1G title in year 2, regular FF contender, etc. 

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Porter Moser is pretty darn good

Really good last four years, but we are still looking at a guy who has made exactly two dances in his seventeen years as a head coach.  And it took him fourteen years before he ever finished higher than FIFTH in a conference.  Fired after four years and a 51-67 record in his first MVC stop (Illinois State) and at Loyala, it really took seven seasons to turn them around.  History says he isn't going to turn around a program with any kind of speed....based on his last two stops, he'd be fired here after four years.

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Beard would be...

perfect.

I thought you and I agreed that he wouldn't be coming due to outside factors? 

1 hour ago, ziggyiu said:

For @Chris007 and @ISP and @IUwins0708 and all of the other insiders, I'm curious to learn if Dolson and the bag men are still fighting for Brad, or, if they've moved on, who they've moved on to. Are the decision makers bound and determined to make IU great and spend the same money on another coach? For example, are they willing to approach Billy D. and throw all the money at him -- despite his new gig with the Bulls -- to exhaust every option? 

Personally, if I were Chris or 0708 and I did know anything, I wouldn't be sharing it.  Too much vitriol sent their way for sharing what they had been told previously.