Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

30 minutes ago, OldBuddy67 said:

Fans will really explode when he ends up at Duke, North Carolina, or Kentucky at some point! That has always been my fear since he left Butler.

He’s proven himself to be competent enough at the NBA level to have a long career there if he chooses. He could at a minimum be another Don Nelson or Rick Adelman if he stays around and never wins. Having said all that, Brad Stevens is a great coach and I would’ve loved to have hired him for this opening, but he still hasn’t won anything yet and the appearance of the young coach with lots of potential fades a bit each year. In 2011, if Matt Howard doesn’t get fouled against Pitt 95 ft from the basket with 0.9 seconds left are we even this thirsty for Stevens or is he just another possible candidate? Duke, UNC, and Kentucky are no picnics and getting close is not going to cut it at any of them. God bless whoever the next coach at Duke is and Kentucky fans are lunatics. UNC would have equal pressure to win but be a calmer atmosphere, as long as their next coach isn’t getting boat raced by K’s replacement. Terrible location aside, KU is the best college landing spot for him if it isn’t IU. 

33 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

He’s proven himself to be competent enough at the NBA level to have a long career there if he chooses. He could at a minimum be another Don Nelson or Rick Adelman if he stays around and never wins. Having said all that, Brad Stevens is a great coach and I would’ve loved to have hired him for this opening, but he still hasn’t won anything yet and the appearance of the young coach with lots of potential fades a bit each year. In 2011, if Matt Howard doesn’t get fouled against Pitt 95 ft from the basket with 0.9 seconds left are we even this thirsty for Stevens or is he just another possible candidate? Duke, UNC, and Kentucky are no picnics and getting close is not going to cut it at any of them. God bless whoever the next coach at Duke is and Kentucky fans are lunatics. UNC would have equal pressure to win but be a calmer atmosphere, as long as their next coach isn’t getting boat raced by K’s replacement. Terrible location aside, KU is the best college landing spot for him if it isn’t IU. 

I’m at Durham and went to UNC for my MBA ——-not a calmer atmosphere.  They’re actually worse than us and if Bilas wasn’t on one knee with DUKE/UNC he would admit that as well. 

I have a question.  If Dolson had reason to believe Stevens was really interested in this job  then why would you not wait until the end of the NBA season to launch Archie?  

6 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

I have a question.  If Dolson had reason to believe Stevens was really interested in this job  then why would you not wait until the end of the NBA season to launch Archie?  

If you do that, you leave Archie twisting in the wind till June. People might not like him, but you want to treat him fairly. Or what happens in June if Stevens changes his mind or says no? That would be an absolute mess. 

5 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

The $10 million dollar question. 

Just now, LamarCheeks said:

If you do that, you leave Archie twisting in the wind till June. People might not like him, but you want to treat him fairly. Then, what happens in June if Stevens changes his mind? That would be an absolute mess. 

Pending who we actually hire this month, that candidate could very well be on the board come June or even next spring. 

5 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

If you do that, you leave Archie twisting in the wind till June. People might not like him, but you want to treat him fairly. Or what happens in June if Stevens changes his mind or says no? That would be an absolute mess. 

Is it really treating him fairly to get rid of him when you are not sure the main guy you want will even take the job....especially with the line of thinking that they would not have fired Archie if they didnt think they could get Stevens.  

Just now, TadQueasy said:

Is it really treating him fairly to get rid of him when you are not sure the main guy you want will even take the job....especially with the line of thinking that they would not have fired Archie if they didnt think they could get Stevens.  

Well Archie still has a buyout.. and releasing him earlier gives him more of a chance to get a job and lets IU off the hook for the money.

2 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

If he’s getting 10 million - I’d be ok with firing him on his wedding anniversary. 

5 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

Not sure that was the line of thinking. I think the line of thinking was that Archie had been here for four years and underperformed. I think the way we finished the season -- losing six in a row and showing no heart -- sealed it. I don't necessarily think we fired Archie because we thought we could get Stevens. I think we fired him because he was doing a very poor job. 

6 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

If he’s getting 10 million - I’d be ok with firing him on his wedding anniversary. 

He's getting $10M depending on future employment. If you fire him in March, he stands a good chance of landing another job that will mitigate that buyout. He might take next year off regardless, but if you fire him in June, his chances of landing another job decrease significantly. 

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Not sure that was the line of thinking. I think the line of thinking was that Archie had been here for four years and underperformed. I think the way we finished the season -- losing six in a row and showing no heart -- sealed it. I don't necessarily think we fired Archie because we thought we could get Stevens. I think we fired him because he was doing a very poor job. 

+1 I think that we used Stevens to help eliminate a coach that nearly everyone thought was underperforming.

16 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Well Archie still has a buyout.. and releasing him earlier gives him more of a chance to get a job and lets IU off the hook for the money.

Since the 10 mil buyout is a guaranteed income for the next 3 years, if I were him, I'd take a year off to regroup. Not a good thing from IU's perspective, but I don't think it's anything IU admin didn't expect. I think there could be a clause in the contract that Miller should put a reasonable efforts to find the next job, but it's easy to do a subpar job on a job interview...deliberately. 

2 minutes ago, akumanina said:

Since the 10 mil buyout is a guaranteed income for the next 3 years, if I were him, I'd take a year off to regroup. Not a good thing from IU's perspective, but I don't think it's anything IU admin didn't expect. I think there could be a clause in the contract that Miller should put a reasonable efforts to find the next job, but it's easy to do a subpar job on a job interview...deliberately. 

Yeah most definitely, but IU would be guaranteeing him not getting a job if he got fired at the end of the NBA season. Something could still open up this year that Archie would take. 

Was driving back a moment ago and heard Dan Patrick say he was going to have Woj on next to address the Brad Stevens to Indiana rumors.  He mentioned that the rumors were not going away as expected but I was not able to wait to hear Woj as I had a call

Anyone listen to that?

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

Was driving back a moment ago and heard Dan Patrick say he was going to have Woj on next to address the Brad Stevens to Indiana rumors.  He mentioned that the rumors were not going away as expected but I was not able to wait to hear Woj as I had a call

Anyone listen to that?

Woj said there was no way Stevens would go back to coach in college and that if he parted ways with the Celtics, he definitely would go to another NBA team. He said there really is no comparison to coaching in the NBA vs. college -- and that maybe top NBA assistants would consider college jobs if they thought they couldn't get a No. 1 NBA gig, but a head coach wouldn't. He added that Donovan parted ways with OKC and got snatched up by the Bulls right away -- never even gave a return to college a thought. 

He basically said what many here thought before all the "Stevens to IU" talked heated up. It's just not gonna happen. Or at least it's very, very, very unlikely. 

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Woj said there was no way Stevens would go back to coach in college and that if he parted ways with the Celtics, he definitely would go to another NBA team. He said there really is no comparison to coaching in the NBA vs. college -- and that maybe top NBA assistants would consider college jobs if they thought they couldn't get a No. 1 NBA gig, but a head coach wouldn't. He added that Donovan parted ways with OKC and got snatched up by the Bulls right away -- never even gave a return to college a thought. 

He basically said what many here thought before all the "Stevens to IU" talked heated up. It's just not gonna happen. Or at least it's very, very, very unlikely. 

Totally makes sense to me. I mean...why would he come to IU to be a savior? He's not even an IU guy. Childhood dream is nothing but a distant memory. 

26 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

He said there really is no comparison to coaching in the NBA vs. college --

I guess I really just don't understand as someone who loves the college game way more than the NBA.. To me, coaches have a bigger impact in college and NBA is more about star power.