Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

10 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Is Beard #2 or is that just your hope?

Just what I’ve talked myself into. I don’t know his list, but I am sure he has already been back channeling them for weeks. Everyone knows the $$ for the buyout was raised w hope on Stevens- but Dolson is smarter than any of us. He had plan b, c, d set up already IMO.

Some comments by Beard lately makes me think he is interested, add that RMK and Pat were in town w him, the timing is fitting.

Drew for sure has interest but I don’t know if the powers would allow it since his unfairly shady past gets brought up. 

On the presser topic of BS. It was super weird. Initially I took it at face value and thought 100% over. Not so much now. Anyways, I still 100% expect him to stay in Boston.

41 minutes ago, ISP said:

I don’t know what the final # is. But it has to be 8-10m. It’s Dolson’s final push, he went and raised more $$. This is just my opinion, but for him to raise more $$ and offer again says he feels he was so close. Many of us have known since yesterday morning he was looking for more $$ - privately we just wanted to not share this because none of us deserve to keep hoping and the odds of it working are slim. But I did get confirmation this morning that Dolson did raise what he wanted to.

Honestly, I’m just ready for Beard. And I’m sorry I broke my promise to myself and got all your hopes up again. 

Glad to know that Dolson is trying to make it work, that’s negotiating.

”I’m a 44 year old Indihole, I j walk while eating Orville Redenbacher popcorn listening to colts games on my Walkman”

A lateral move, like 0708 is concerned about, would be Fife or, like Lewis as HC I think. Certainly disappointing if so even if Stevens is out.

Good HCs come from all sorts of backgrounds. They wouldn’t have the splash of a Beard etc., I’m not beating the drum for them...but they both have track records indicating they could succeed at the high-major level. I just wish IU would know that before hiring either.

That said I think unless you get a D*kich or Miller situation, I think clearly the baseline at IU is still quite high.

32 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Sorry don’t buy it. I’m pretty good about being able to tell when people are lying and I’d bet any dollar amount that he he would’ve failed a lie detector test during that presser. I know BGleas said it would t have been scripted but that was. He was reading straight from a teleprompter to his right. That said I think he stays in Boston.

There was no teleprompter or script. 

You don't think the media would have reported, "we've done 1,000 of these pregame coaching media availabilities and never once have seen a teleprompter or a script, but tonight randomly there was a teleprompter that Stevens was reading off. That is very odd!"

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

There was no teleprompter or script. 

You don't think the media would have reported, "we've done 1,000 of these pregame coaching media availabilities and never once have seen a teleprompter or a script, but tonight randomly there was a teleprompter that Stevens was reading off. That is very odd!"

The media isn’t in the room. It’s being done via zoom. That’s how they are all being done this year. If you don’t think he was reading from something I can’t help you. 

34 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

A scenario where I could see that it’s not over with Brad, is he and is wife are smart people and know now this works. IU offered him to come here. He knows darn well obviously that he’s a hot commodity here and that people see him as the Golden Boy. He and his lawyer wife also know that if the Boston higher ups love him as much as they think they do, they will want to try to keep him. So they flirt with the idea of coming to IU (not to play us but seriously considering), and then figure Boston will try to match the offer and give a raise. Okay, so they do, and leads people to think he was just trying to play us to stay in Boston but get more money out of them....but then on top of all that, knowing as said before that he knows IU REALLY wants him, figure IU will most likely come back with EVEN MORE money to go higher than Boston matching our first offer, and then he takes it. 

Idk, was just thinking about it for a couple days. Not saying it’s all correct and how it is, but something to ponder. 

I am over Stevens.  I hope 0708 is right and this is done.  I can understand that money plays a part in this stuff but we are really at a crazy point to be offering a guy, who has not won a championship at any of his stops, $8 to $10 million to come here.  If where he coaches is 100% about the money, he is better to stay in the NBA.

Just now, ap2345 said:

The media isn’t in the room. It’s being done via zoom. That’s how they are all being done this year. If you don’t think he was reading from something I can’t help you. 

If he was reading off something then he prepared it himself. 

I think we will be very happy with who we get. No reason to think otherwise and there is no lateral move to 12-14 record, losing record in bigten play and never beating our rivals.

The new coach will have a clean slate and will have the opportunity to do great things here. The players coaching themselves could have delivered the above results 

Just now, BGleas said:

If he was reading off something then he prepared it himself. 

Doesn’t mean he was being truthful. I get your Celtics connection but I’ve watched many coach denials and pregame pressers/media availability and that was the strangest one I’ve seen. 

Just now, ap2345 said:

Doesn’t mean he was being truthful. I get your Celtics connection but I’ve watched many coach denials and pregame pressers/media availability and that was the strangest one I’ve seen. 

I understand it was odd. But I've been through these things first hand, and with some of those exact people (obviously not Stevens), the weirdest thing in the world, even more weird than the comments themselves, would be if that was scripted.  

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm ready to move on.

If what Chris007 and IUwins0708 reported is true, we've done more than enough to try to lure Stevens. If he doesn't want to be in B-town -- then let's put him in our rearview mirror.

I want someone at IU who really wants to be there -- not because he couldn't say no to an insane amount of money. 

Chris has been awful quiet since things fell apart. Hopefully he drops a nugget soon.

I thought offering brad what we were before was to high if we offer more I am out. He hasn't proven he is even in top 3 coaches pay I would say he needs prove something here then get a raise. Just my opinion. Go after beard leave stevens @$$ in Boston with the other mass holes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk