Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

1 hour ago, HoosierMatty said:

I would have preferred he told us to F off when we first put out feelers. Assuming all this was true. I much prefer that to being jerked around. If you set demands and we meet them and had donors put up big time money and you say no and get a raise from the Celtics there is a word for Brad. Its not Masshole but it ryhmes with it. 

This. 

I get if you don't want to coach at IU. That's fine. It's your prerogative. But if what posters here have reported is true about the timeline of negotiations, why waste so much of our time? You could've just said no at the start. 

Just seems weird that you have one fan base that adores you and another who seemingly can't stand you -- and you chose the latter. Okey doke.  

13 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

This. 

I get if you don't want to coach at IU. That's fine. It's your prerogative. But if what posters here have reported is true about the timeline of negotiations, why waste so much of our time? You could've just said no at the start. 

Just seems weird that you have one fan base that adores you and another who seemingly can't stand you -- and you chose the latter. Okey doke.  

Things did not add up at all, but I think the Celtics Ownership was HEAVILY involved on the final day, since Friday morning everyone was cheering and then got blindsided. Even for the couple of hours before his press conference I thought we had our guy and BAM. At least we know Dolson isn’t slouch unlike Glass who called once and gave up. 

I hope someday to find out the whole truth about what did or did not happen in this negotiation from the very start. Did they go to him before the firing? Did they really take the best shot? Was he really at one point truly a done deal? Was it all just best guesses and hearsay?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 hours ago, go iu bb said:

People are going to start nitpicking and criticizing Stevens now to feel better about being rejected. 

Their way of saying:

"He's not that good. We dodged a bullet."

"We didn't want him anyways."

It's all nonsense. He would've been a great hire.

I respectfully disagree.  I think his comments prove he is not who we thought he was.  He’s just another “say anything” type of guy.  I’m of the opinion that we certainly did dodge a bullet. I wasn’t convinced he was going to come in an win big but did think he would come in and get kids to play hard and compete.  The concept of Brad Stevens is what this program needed.  The condescending guy at the presser is simply not who we thought he was.  And of the back room rumors are accurate, he is definitely not who we thought he was.  Just sayin’.  Good news is he just made it easy for me to move on mentally.

11 hours ago, Josh said:

Absolutely it's my fault.  I've taken full blame here.  But I do not believe I was more definitive than other posters here.  Have you been reading what I have?

A lot of people lost credibility today.  I'm certainly one of them.  I hope a lot of people learned lessons.

Why does someone lose credibility when a fluid situation changes?  That’s ridiculous.  Nothing is final until it’s final.  The insiders where right.  Their info was right. Stevens changed his mind at the last minute.  BFD.  Move the drill.  

11 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

I also feel bad for our AD because he’s in real trouble if he mislead the donors. Again I work with billionaire’s , 10 million isn’t much to them but they absolutely hate being mislead.  Like will do everything possible to make you miserable, to the point where they spend more than 10 million to make life tough. 

It’s not misleading if BS pulls out at the last minute.  

1 minute ago, Hoosier Guy said:

What if we’re all being duped? Maybe it’s still in the cards lol. Who knows man

It’s possible, although maybe not probable. It did cross my mind that this was all a way to let him finish out the season. Again, not probable, but nothing in this seems to be.

5 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Why does someone lose credibility when a fluid situation changes?  That’s ridiculous.  Nothing is final until it’s final.  The insiders where right.  Their info was right. Stevens changed his mind at the last minute.  BFD.  Move the drill.  

When I told my coworkers that Brad Stevens would be named coach and then I was wrong, you don't think I lost credibility with them?

What's your definition of credibility?

8 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

His salary is around 7.3, IF the reports were correct about his raise.  He was 3.7 or so before the raise I think 

Still makes no sense.  That would've been like Fred giving Crean an extension and doubling his salary in year 9.  Most of the Celtics fans want him fired.

I see there’s some people on Facebook who still think it could be Brad. Saying any good coach would cover it up and deny like that until season is over... saying he used the long winded response (swerve while driving, donuts, patriots) to a very simple question, showing a sign that someone is trying to divert attention way from the question. I don’t know whether to laugh or put my thinking cap on. I’m sure coming up with theories like that ends up being wishful thinking on their part when people dive into it like that. I believe the ship has sailed, but my some miracle he ends up being the coach, I’m gonna be like holy s*** he’s good, ha. 

9 hours ago, Five Prime said:

Did this statement really seem genuine to anyone?  I thought it was odd and disingenuous at best.  Seemed like he was just pandering to the Boston fanbase. 

No. That’s a weird comment to me regardless of the situation. What guy who grows up in Indianapolis and lives there until he’s 35, through the Peyton Manning years no less, would root for the Patriots?  

If he used IU to get a raise from Boston in the middle of his worst season, then I doubt he ever returns to college. That Celtics roster is going nowhere in the East. So he limps along at $7mil a year for 3 more years. 

Maybe he pulled a Saban with Texas move where Ainge pissed him off so he used IU to make the Celtics come to the table. But damn that’s Macheavellian, especially if it induced IU to fire Archie. Cold blooded. 

27 minutes ago, Josh said:

When I told my coworkers that Brad Stevens would be named coach and then I was wrong, you don't think I lost credibility with them?

What's your definition of credibility?

If you told your coworkers it was definitely Brad based on what you heard on the interweb, and they believed you, then you have low IQ coworkers.  Things change.  And in business things change all the time. Nobody looses credibility when things change.  

4 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I see there’s some people on Facebook who still think it could be Brad. Saying any good coach would cover it up and deny like that until season is over... saying he used the long winded response (swerve while driving, donuts, patriots) to a very simple question, showing a sign that someone is trying to divert attention way from the question. I don’t know whether to laugh or put my thinking cap on. I’m sure coming up with theories like that ends up being wishful thinking on their part when people dive into it like that. 

But why would he want to finish the season with that transfer market to hit?  The Celtics are a mess and aren't doing squat.  And why would Ainge even want him to keep coaching with a foot out the door?  Makes zero sense.