Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

11 hours ago, Moye > Boozer said:

I like that coach in waiting aspect accompanying a Beilein hire!! 

Isn't that pretty much what Purdue did with Painter working under Keady?

17 minutes ago, kottke said:

Say it is Oats that wants the job and Dolson is waiting on the tournament. What happens if Alabama wins the damn thing? I don’t see him leaving. Do we circle back around to a Woodson or Beilein at that point?

It's almost impossible to get a coach to leave a place where he's happy and winning unless it's a mid-major guy moving up the ladder. I think Oats would crush it at IU, but he has a good situation at Alabama. And I don't think IU will go after a mid-major guy after getting burned by Archie. Dolson did not have a guy lined up because that rarely happens even at schools that have tradition and rich alumni....see recent coaching hires at other places like Texas football. My guess is a former player and announced today or tomorrow. 

Edited by Its Always Sunny at IU

6 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

Best case Oats scenario is he gets bounced in the Final Four. That might be enough to get a big donor to step up to pay the buyout, but not so far (title) that Oats has to stay.

Why would that be better than losing in the sweet 16???

42 minutes ago, Treesh said:

If we don't have a deal by tomorrow then I don't think it's the following

Alford, Woodson, Fife, Lewis, Cheaney, Matta, Belein

EDIT: Added Matta and John

24 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Beilein too.

Maybe he just doesn't want to sign Beilein  too early in the off season, no reason to risk paying a death benefit before he even sets foot on campus.

13 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I rather have Air Bud than some of the names I've seen.. 

If nominated, I will not accept.  If selected, I shall not perform.

PS.  I have no problem with the AD keeping things quiet.  It is a great work that he is doing.  It will be Matta, or a coach still in the NCAAT.  It is possible it will be Beard or others.  Less probable is an IU guy.   It will be someone that has had NCAA basketball head coaching experience at a large university.  Or an NBA coach with some college coaching experience.  Just an opinion.  And it will happen within 3 weeks.  And it will not be in the ballpark of $7 million per year.  (No inside info here...no source other than what you have seen.)

Get it right, please, I beg...I plead...

Edited by Dave from Dayton

10 minutes ago, Iubravos said:

Why would that be better than losing in the sweet 16???

My thinking is that I'm not sure Oats has the name recognition to get a donor to pay out a $12 million buyout right now. But if he takes Alabama to a final four in his second year, then maybe a donor thinks he's worth the investment. If he wins the title, though, it would be hard for him to leave.

1 minute ago, IU Prof said:

In fact, call me crazy, but I'm so committed to the Oats candidacy that at this point I'd actually prefer him to Stevens, in light of the events of the last week or so.

Oats or Mussel. Been saying it since day 1. We need one of the two and we're back. Mark the words. 

there is no public facts that Steven’s ever entertained IU at all. In fact, he has gone on to make this kind of a joke, like there was never any shred of truth to the rumors at all.

and then we have bloggers stating we offered Matta, he accepted But failed a health test and Indiana who has been mum, reaches out to refute all that.

then we have goodman saying Drew, an Indiana native and one of the hottest coaches in p5 would be interested but IU has not reached out

this has been strange to say the least

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

there is no public facts that Steven’s ever entertained IU at all. In fact, he has gone on to make this kind of a joke, like there was never any shred of truth to the rumors at all.

and then we have bloggers stating we offered Matta, he accepted But failed a health test and Indiana who has been mum, reaches out to refute all that.

then we have goodman saying Drew, an Indiana native and one of the hottest coaches in p5 would be interested but IU has not reached out

I am still holding out hope that Dolson is waiting for Oats or Musselman to lose this weekend since he has heard they are interested in the job. But it is IUBB which has let me down so many times so that hope is faint

5 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Matta didn’t fail a physical he just backed out for some reason. Drew hasn’t been reached out to because Dolson doesn’t like him. You can ask Hanner why that is.

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

If memory serves, Painter was Bruce Webber's assistant at Southern Illinois. When Webber left for Champaign, Painter took over. He was there for one season -- a very good one. At the same time, PU under Keady was really declining. People wanted him gone, but didn't want to force the iconic coach out -- then started worrying Painter would get snatched up by another P5 school. So he left to become "associate head coach" under Keady for a season, then he took over. ... That differs from IU in that the longtime coach already was in place. It might be odd to hire your head coach and head coach-in waiting at the same time -- if people are thinking about a Beilein-Fife or Beilein-Lewis combo. 

you are correct. Painter went 25-5 in his one year at Southern Illinois and made the NCAA's, but of course he lost in the first round :)