Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

So Cheaney checks a few boxes that have varying degrees of importance to us fans (the second of which we know is important to Dolson):

• IU guy
  • NBA style offense 
  • personality

My worry is that if winning in college was as easy as landing recruits because you run an NBA style offense and bring in a former player to coach wouldn't Georgetown and Memphis be having success alongside Michigan?

If this is true it will end up really reminding me of the last search, where we zeroed in on Archie thinking he was the guy and didn't do enough due diligence. Except in this case, instead of zeroing in on a candidate, we would have zeroed in on a philosophy as if it's the same easy fix.

I'm all for the NBA style offense. I am not against a CC hire. But my gosh you've got to at least talk to the Drews and Beards of the world (assuming -- BIG ASSUMPTION -- that they'd want to talk).

I still hope and believe that Dolson gets all of this. I want to believe he is pulling all the right strings. But when you find yourself in a position to hold the strings, the worst thing you can do is think you already know all the answers. Tread with diligence SD. 

4 minutes ago, HankTheDeuce said:

Peegs mentioned it in the chat. Said it could still happen but the indications they have thus far are that Beard has at least some interest and that they don't believe IU is interested due to lack of fit. It's always possible conversations are happening, but Peegs said they do not believe IU has even contacted Beard. 

If you go by what Dolson said in the press conference he is looking for a faster pace offense.  If you watch TT play you would see a very slow pace offense.

1 minute ago, Gnet550 said:

Whoa there cowboy, pump the brakes....TJD has made no indication and the other three seem to be just keeping options open, likely if they don’t feel like they fit in the new coaches system or mesh with the coach. I agree we need a good hire, but they can be retained

Yup, first job will be to re-recruit existing players.

IMO, TJD would actually benefit a lot from a coach with a different scheme.

And all of them would benefit from a coach that would make them shoot better FTs... or any shots for that matters.

4 minutes ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

I don’t get this. People discredited Mike Woodson (who has real nba coaching experience!) because he has never recruited before. But we are fine with CC who has never even been the lead assistant at a P5 program and whose recruiting abilities are completely unknown? 

Just my opinion, but with Woodson we know exactly who he is and what we would get and I just dont see him translating to the college game well.  Maybe that is completely off, but it is how I view it.  

With CC there is a lot of unknowns, but there is the potential for it to go really well.  Way more so than with Woodson. 

Now if I have my preference neither of them is the coach.  I would be much happier if CC is associate head coach or an assistant.  

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Based off hope mainly. I think he'd be able to modernize the program and give a fun style of play. Also believe he'd be able to actually develop talent. 

You don't hire a head coach based off hope. And you're right, that would be what this hire was based on - the hope that he could bring back the magical days of Bob Knight because he used to play for him. 

9 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2021/03/23/coaching-search-profile-calbert-cheaney/

He would have an ARMY of former IU greats at his disposal.... The more I look into him, the more I’m becoming interested.

8 minutes ago, GreatMcCracken’sGhost said:

I think Calbert would be very successful at IU. More successful, probably, than Woodson. (Obviously that opinion is not based on coaching experience). But I'm not sure Calbert would be our head coach if hired.

6 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I rather have Calbert over Woodson, Alford, Smart, and Whitman.

Funny how everyone saying Woodson is not relevant to today's players as a current NBA asst and recent former HC of 25 yrs, think CC would, as a 50 year old as of this summer, 2 yr NBA G league asst, never HC and a cadre of older players that would be just as active for Woodson is somehow a better option.

I think one thing we aren't considering is the interview process. These coaches have to come in with a plan as to how they are going to get Indiana back to a consistent top 20 team. If a coach comes in with a plan that really appeals to Dolson, I'm sure they move up. If they don't really have a plan, I'm sure they aren't as appealing. Just like any job interview, they have to show they really want to put in the work.

Just now, Treesh said:

Mike Woodson didn't win as an NBA head coach. We know we're going to get flat results and he's 63, which I don't like to use age but can he really relate to 18 year olds? We know John can but Woodson has been in the NBA his entire career.

At least Calbert is younger and has been around the college game. 

Yes he can relate to 18 year olds. Do we think he is not interacting with: RJ Barrett. MitchRob. Quickly. Toppin. Knox???

all players 22 years old or younger. If anything, Woodson has the MOST experience relating to young basketball players. Where did this idea come from that he can’t? Because of his age? 

Day to day reality says something drastically different. 

Just now, TadQueasy said:

Just my opinion, but with Woodson we know exactly who he is and what we would get and I just dont see him translating to the college game well.  Maybe that is completely off, but it is how I view it.  

With CC there is a lot of unknowns, but there is the potential for it to go really well.  Way more so than with Woodson. 

Now if I have my preference neither of them is the coach.  I would be much happier if CC is associate head coach or an assistant.  

Also, I think that I'd rather see Lewis or Fife as head coach before Calbert if we are talking former IU players

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you go by what Dolson said in the press conference he is looking for a faster pace offense.  If you watch TT play you would see a very slow pace offense.

Not dogging on you since you are stating what SD said but I don't understand this crap about "style" and "pace". The only style Indiana needs is to make the freaking tournament and win. It's been 6 years. Texas Tech did a pretty good job keeping up with Arkansas the other night for what it's worth. 

Stealing this from another board but I think it is right on the money when it comes to many of these "IU guys" people are throwing out there.

"Woodson is not the only guy that would be roaming a sideline that is (a) personable (b) has coached kids that also played at the next level (d) can relate to kids and have fun (e) can talk to parents and grandparents in a living room (f) understands rivalries.

That’s the vast majority of NCAA coaches. You guys act like Woodson possesses attributes that no other coach has."

It seems like the most common defense of "IU guys" has been qualities they have that the vast majority of head coaches in college basketball already have. 

So we're going to hire someone to be our head coach who no one else has ever wanted to be their head coach either? And whose assistant coaching resume is incredibly thing? Mike Woodson isn't a good candidate. But Mike Woodson looks like Brad Stevens as a candidate compared to Calbert Cheaney. We'd be hiring someone with no head coaching experience and minimal assistant coaching experience to resurrect a struggling program. 

How do we know that Woodson or Cheaney are being interviewed as candidates? Could they not be people Dolson trusts that he could be bouncing names off of. He dis say his circle would be tight.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app