Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

7 minutes ago, Moye > Boozer said:

I don't want to belabor a point and I posted this article a couple hours ago about Oats, but if anyone reads it, you'll see what Oats really has working for him is ......... AN ACTUAL WINNING PLAN.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ball-oats-how-alabama-became-an-sec-powerhouse-overnight-on-its-way-to-possibly-changing-college-basketball/

Some people, including Scott Dolson, refer to this as "vision". Other people refer to it as "culture" ------ all the same thing really. It's about establishing a "true north" direction for something ---- a company, a non-profit, a sports organization, etc. and it is what ultimately leads to establishing a BRAND or IDENTITY (something else Dolson spoke of though he couldn't really articulate what the IU identity was when asked).

And THAT is what we need. Dolson said as much in his press conference ---- someone who has a vision and someone who can convince Dolson of an ability to put it into action. 

It's the same reason the Cubs hired Theo. He had a plan to build a winning culture from the inside out. A world series and however many playoff appearances in a row and he obviously accomplished what he set out to do. 

So I cannot dismiss Oats for that simple reason. Especially because he did it quickly. But I will happily accept anybody --- including those with Hoosier ties --- who understand this concept and who can actually DO WHAT THEY CLAIM THEY CAN.

This is a great Article. Tell Chris to cut the check, I want OATS! 

4 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

It's called "being a fan". :D

I had season tickets when we were #1 in 2013.

Then we lost to a Zone and didn't watch the next year because of CTC. 

You might be onto something.. 

Just now, Coach Robby said:

Do some of you actually think Oats is a real possibility? Sorry, I just don't see it adding up. Might be nice to think about, but 0 chance he comes here. 0. Would make no sense at all.

I have no idea what he wants to do or the contract details, but I'd have to think it's at least as possible as getting the coach of the Boston Celtics, if not more. 

I'll be excited if IU pulls it off. 

1 minute ago, Coach Robby said:

Do some of you actually think Oats is a real possibility? Sorry, I just don't see it adding up. Might be nice to think about, but 0 chance he comes here. 0. Would make no sense at all.

Everyone instantly eliminates him because of the buyout and reports saying he's not interested. I just know at Buffalo he said he was going to make them the next Gonzaga and he wasn't going to leave then took the Alabama job a week later. Granted he's a long shot but so are most of the people talked about. It'd be Dolson's job to convince him to come here if he was sold on him. 

3 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

No. But that’s the level of coach that Dolson should be shooting for, not any random coach with an IU degree.

2 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Just curious why it doesn't make sense? He's from Wisconsin, coached at Buffalo previously (i.e has not connection to Alabama or the South), we could offer a substantial raise, we can pay the buyout, and he's at a place where football will always be king. And king probably doesn't cover it. A 0-12 Bama football team will overshadow a 32-0 Bama basketball team every day of the week by a lot. 

1 minute ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Everyone instantly eliminates him because of the buyout and reports saying he's not interested. I just know at Buffalo he said he was going to make them the next Gonzaga and he wasn't going to leave then took the Alabama job a week later. Granted he's a long shot but so are most of the people talked about. It'd be Dolson's job to convince him to come here if he was sold on him. 

I understand your point. I just don't see him leaving Buffalo for Alabama for one season, then wanting to come here to potentially ruin his career. He's at the biggest football school in the country, making sweet money, and having success. I'm all for getting the best candidate, but I have a feeling if any contact was made here, or will be made, it will be very, very brief. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

Been gone for a few hours miss anything?

No only a couple of post we was all waiting for you to come back before chewing each others heads off lol

Just now, NashvilleHoosier said:

Just curious why it doesn't make sense? He's from Wisconsin, coached at Buffalo previously (i.e has not connection to Alabama or the South), we could offer a substantial raise, we can pay the buyout, and he's at a place where football will always be king. And king probably doesn't cover it. A 0-12 Bama football team will overshadow a 32-0 Bama basketball team every day of the week by a lot. 

see above

4 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Nate Oats seems to me like another pipe dream. He's got good things going at Alabama. If he does well in that sh!tty conference like Mark Few, he's got no problem getting a high seed every year. 

Just now, Coach Robby said:

I understand your point. I just don't see him leaving Buffalo for Alabama for one season, then wanting to come here to potentially ruin his career. He's at the biggest football school in the country, making sweet money, and having success. I'm all for getting the best candidate, but I have a feeling if any contact was made here, or will be made, it will be very, very brief. 

He just seems like someone that would thrive in this job. After Archie I've learned it takes a certain personality to be the coach here and I think he has it. Maybe he doesn't want to be in the football teams shadow. But like I said it'd be Dolson's job to convince him. That's why he makes the big bucks. 

8 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

I think we have a misunderstanding of innovative.  

None of that is innovative.  That stuff has been around awhile.  

Semantics about what is truly considered "innovative" ----- a sandwich shop that just makes the same old sandwiches but does it a heckuva lot faster??? Worked okay for Jimmy Johns. A TV series that is based on recording people's everyday lives? Worked okay for the Kardashians (don't ask me how I know) and the zillion other reality TV shows. 

There is something truly "innovative" about Oats, however. And here's the quote from the article:

"I think a lot of people don't get it," Oats told CBS Sports. "Some coaches think you can't play fast and still be great on D. Well, no. You can. Offensive pace shouldn't dictate defensive effort."  

I'd say that concept would play pretty well in Bloomington, don't ya think???

Just now, Unexpectedflash said:

He just seems like someone that would thrive in this job. After Archie I've learned it takes a certain personality to be the coach here and I think he has it. Maybe he doesn't want to be in the football teams shadow. But like I said it'd be Dolson's job to convince him. That's why he makes the big bucks. 

If he keeps growing and becomes one of the major names in D1, his ego can get bigger and may take a blueblood gig, but timing is just not on our side at this point. 

Steady now fans.  I'm not panicking. These players entering the transfer portal makes sense.  IU is likely talking to them but not about who will be head coach and what that head coach will do.  So the players really should be checking their situations.  Transfer portal is not irrevocable.  Here, take a seat.

I am waaaaay over panicking.  I thought that RMK was heading toward self immolation.  Panicking, yes. I was panicking when IU gave RMK a zero tolerance edict.  Then the players wanted Davis as HC...panic.  Then when he who must not be named who was on NCAA isht list already was hired, panic.  Then he and that one assistant cheated and were not monitored with proper oversight by IU...panic.  Then the players revolted, stopped going to class and DD kicked them off the team...panic.  Then, contrary to some posters on this site recently...many of us had done some background on Crean.  We knew what we were getting.  He was clean.  Didn't emphasize defense.  And was really not wrapped tight and overhyped lots...panic.  And then Archie Miller was hired.  But contrary to some posters, he also was not universally touted by fans.  He was a risk.   I was a fan of his at Dayton.  Was pleasantly surprised he was on the short list and was hired.  But, he couldn't break through after year 1.  Injuries, backup plans, lack of innovation, you name it...losing...panic.   I am not panicking now.  And some posters worry if IU can bounce back after Archie Miller...give me a break.

What, me worry?

featured.jpg

Edited by Dave from Dayton